Pheasant surrogator?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone here know of anyone who has used a Surrogator to raise pheasants? After the rough winters and drought years we are thinking about using one. Got one we can try out, so worth the shot. Know one other person who says they had success with them, has a good population of birds after a few years. But, you read the studies and they are about as bad as pen released birds for final survival. There is reasonable cover and habitat in the area, just not a lot of birds. Curious to hear if you know anyone who has had experience with them?

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
I’ll show my ignorance. What’s a pheasant surrigator? I haven’t raised pheasants for years so am out of the loop. Thanks

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
self contained minature pheasant "pen"

https://wildlifemanagementtechnologies.com/collections/surrogators-packages/pheasant

We used to release pen raised birds small groups (10 - 15) here and there thinking we would expand the areas they were in. Disappointing success.

We now release large groups of birds (50 plus) in an area that has the best habitat and food sources each year and have seemed to have a better result.

This surrogator idea kinda fits that theory.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75