Fishing access fenced off...

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've read article in paper that the corp fenced off alot of access points to fishing, for the reason that ATV's are the cultrip for the fences and gates to be put up.

What I'd like to know, what access points are being fenced off and gated? I haven't been out near Sak, so I don't know all the places that are being locked down, thought I'd bring this up because it hasn't been on the table in the feed as of yet or if it did, I missed it. Anyone want to fill me in more?

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Wait a minute.............the federal govt limiting access????? ;)

Marty Beard had a campaign regarding this in the Bismarck area last summer where the Corp closed a long open access area to the river. I believe his efforts got it opened back up.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They are so dam worried about a stupid bird that they restrict us from using the shoreline. When will they realize these dumb birds are not worth our time and money. Hopefully they don't outright restrict any human access or you will have some pissed off people

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are so dam worried about a stupid bird that they restrict us from using the shoreline. When will they realize these dumb birds are not worth our time and money. Hopefully they don't outright restrict any human access or you will have some pissed off people
They already have pissed off people, for what I'm gathering and are reconsidering some points to re open, I just want to know which access that got cut off.

- - - Updated - - -

What birds are they worried about?

Sand piper if I read right

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just say your a “water protector” and you can do whatever you want on Corps property!

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I think we should make more roads in the badlands too

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
What would teddy roosevelt think about the four wheelers rippin around the river and destroying habitat??:confused:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
What would teddy roosevelt think about the four wheelers rippin around the river and destroying habitat??:confused:
I don't know..... where can I get one? It looks a shit ton better than my horse! Battle of San Juan Hill would have been way easier on a few of these!

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
The area from tobacco gardens to the east past the beacon is completely fenced off. There are a couple openings but way to small to fit anything with wheels through. Dirt bikes and 4-wheelers on sad bars is pretty normal up here on the river areas where I think the actual habitat of concern is but I’ve never heard about anyone getting ticketed for it. Once you hit the lake area, that’s a different story. I think the fine is $500 for driving down to fish and they’ve been handing them out. Getting to the point that if you don’t have a big enough boat to handle the wind or a strong enough back to carry your gear a couple hundred yards your SOL. The resorts aren’t going to complain though, everyone is being corralled for them.

Last edited:

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
The area from tobacco gardens to the east past the beacon is completely fenced off. There are a couple openings but way to small to fit anything with wheels through. Dirt bikes and 4-wheelers on sad bars is pretty normal up here on the river areas where I think the actual habitat of concern is but I’ve never heard about anyone getting for it. Once you hit the lake area, that’s a different story. I think the fine is $500 for driving down to fish and they’ve been handing them out. Getting to the point that if you don’t have a big enough boat to handle the wind or a strong enough back to carry your gear a couple hundred yards your SOL. The resorts aren’t going to complain though, everyone is being corralled for them.

Thanks Brian, I read the article but they wouldn't mention which areas were fenced off which I thought should have been in print, what the use of making an article saying places are fenced off but not saying where and that a bunch of so so people gather to voices concern, won't be long and they'll be fencing off the missouri river at most easy access area for fishing smh

IMO, I think they get all excited, fence it off without warning and thats what got everybody ticked over the issue and not debated it first and then come up with fix...they just do everything ass backwards and then wonder why everyone pissed at them...smh

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please correct me if iam wrong because i must be missing something here, its my understanding that its illegal to drive motorized vehicles off established trail on Corp land.. They were having non-compliance or utter disregard for the law which resulted in fences going up, but still allowing walk-in access? not being a smart a**, just trying to understand

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please correct me if iam wrong because i must be missing something here, its my understanding that its illegal to drive motorized vehicles off established trail on Corp land.. They were having non-compliance or utter disregard for the law which resulted in fences going up, but still allowing walk-in access? not being a smart a**, just trying to understand

Yep you can walk in, there are skinny "gates" where a person can slide through to walk in. I can actually fit my kayak through, barely. Generally thats a couple hundred yards from the shoreline. What 's going on is two things, people are being corralled into the resort areas if they want to shore fish, good luck with that circus on some saturdays, and also anyone who wants to shore fish anywhere else better be in pretty damn good shape to pull it off especially if you plan on eating anything you catch.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yep you can walk in, there are skinny "gates" where a person can slide through to walk in. I can actually fit my kayak through, barely. Generally thats a couple hundred yards from the shoreline. What 's going on is two things, people are being corralled into the resort areas if they want to shore fish, good luck with that circus on some saturdays, and also anyone who wants to shore fish anywhere else better be in pretty damn good shape to pull it off especially if you plan on eating anything you catch.

Not trying to sound elitist or anything like that at all. I want as many opportunities for everyone to enjoy the outdoors,,,, but if you cant walk a couple hundred yards its time to look in the mirror and make some better life choices. ATV's are the jet ski of the land. annoying as hell usually. My guess is this wasnt an issue until some jackass' decided to tear up the beach/trails

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not trying to sound elitist or anything like that at all. I want as many opportunities for everyone to enjoy the outdoors,,,, but if you cant walk a couple hundred yards its time to look in the mirror and make some better life choices. ATV's are the jet ski of the land. annoying as hell usually. My guess is this wasnt an issue until some jackass' decided to tear up the beach/trails

So if your 65 and have to use a cane to walk you should just stay home and not fish.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I understand the frustration of not having the convience of drive in access, expessially if it wasn't previously enforced and became normal. However, if it indeed is requiring someone to walk only a additional couple hundred yards to go fishing, come on. Completely different story if they are shutting down access all together.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

yep - jackasses are ruining a lot of things we used to not have to worry about

shorefishing spots on the Red and local rivers are getting fenced off left/right due to trash, vandalism, damage by vehicles, getting stuck, etc. Good people who used to let people fish got tired of the BS.

Welcome to a secular world. Hang on - it's not going the other way anytime soon.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67