Bismarck: I look down at the ground when people ask me where I am from

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
But its the million dollar view that they have to have.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
But its the million dollar view that they have to have.
Or...we just have to live next to the water, its so serene and peaceful...then its...oh shit...its gonna flood, poor poor me...feel sorry for me....
If you live in a flood zone, expect the unexpected, pretty simple. Or better yet, don't live in a flood zone

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or if you have a job to do just do it. Missouri River Dam system & COE

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
"If the Corps would use the dam for what it was built for, this community would not have to go through what it did in 2011 and what they're looking at again,” said Marilyn Wagner.

OK, I'll ask the dumb question. What's the COE doing wrong now? Seems like post 2011 flood, if there's any inkling of larger amounts of water entering the system unplanned, that adding capacity with a pre-emptive draw-down makes for a fairly logical end-point.

Having grown up in Bismarck, and living through the flood of '97 in Grand Forks, if I were to move back to Bismarck I believe I'd be living N of Main street and certainly E of River Road.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its the same here in Minot. Building $1.5 billion in flood protection. The engineer that is in charge of this, is pushing to get it finished in 5-10 years without securing funding first, should be fired. And after going to a 500 year flood plan, they are buying out houses in the valley that have never ever been wet. I don't think the city realizes that they will be loosing property tax income from those lots without homes on. Spending $600,000.00 to move the old Home Sweet Home across the street so they can put up a flood wall is so stupid. ;:;banghead :mad: I can already see my property taxes doubling every year for the next 5 years. After living here for 57 years come Sunday, thinking seriously about moving.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
And I bet very few actually bought flood insurance since the flood which is why they are bitching again now.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
how there isn't a state law against building in flood zones is beyond comprehension.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am above the flood plan and had flood insurance before 2011 and still have it now. I didn't have overground flooding in 2011 I had water seepage into the basement from the high water table.
And I bet very few actually bought flood insurance since the flood which is why they are bitching again now.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ah yes, not just building on the flood plain, but building 8' basements in the floodplain. I'm sure that's the corps fault too, right Obi?

People are still putting basements in new builds right on the river ;:;banghead

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
how there isn't a state law against building in flood zones is beyond comprehension.

Natural disasters are great for the state! Federal money flows in, the rich get richer and the politicians get donations...

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or do what Fargo does. Let people build on the river and then give them a massively profitable buyout when it floods.
Or expect the people upstream to hold back the water on their land for them and the people in the diversion path to loose everything they have aquired over their lifetime

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Natural disasters are great for the state! Federal money flows in, the rich get richer and the politicians get donations...

Yep, federal aid comes in, steal 90% hand out the other 10% and everyone cheers! Not much different than reservation politics.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
last time I checked any place along the river with the word island in its title has it there for a reason. I have named many islands on the river over the years for fishing purposes and at some times they are accessible by shore and other times they are under water, but having the word ISLAND in the name describing where you live is a hint for me. dukgnfsn

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't the Hoge Island residents reject the flood plan for their area? Or am I mis-remembering something?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen many basements have water seepage that are built in N. Bismarck a few areas that come to mind are Capital Ave, Calgary Ave, and Aspen, and Hackberry so seepage can occur anywhere when the water table is elevated.
Ah yes, not just building on the flood plain, but building 8' basements in the floodplain. I'm sure that's the corps fault too, right Obi?

People are still putting basements in new builds right on the river ;:;banghead

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen many basements have water seepage that are built in N. Bismarck a few areas that come to mind are Capital Ave, Calgary Ave, and Aspen, and Hackberry so seepage can occur anywhere when the water table is elevated.

Absolutely! The area where my folks live (not in bismarck) happened like that but it was more than just seepage . About the highest point around and we got a pile of rain and you could watch the water come up through the floor in the basement. Many houses in that area did the same thing.

I hauled a bunch of dirt,concrete, rock and bags of concrete putting drain tile in on the inside in the basement floors in a couple of houses that summer.

Colt45

Founding Member
Founding Member

How there isn't a state law against building in an area with water seepage problems is beyond comprehension........... lol

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Absolutely! The area where my folks live (not in bismarck) happened like that but it was more than just seepage . About the highest point around and we got a pile of rain and you could watch the water come up through the floor in the basement. Many houses in that area did the same thing.

I hauled a bunch of dirt,concrete, rock and bags of concrete putting drain tile in on the inside in the basement floors in a couple of houses that summer.

Key here to putting in basement is having sump pumps and drain tile, period regardless of high water table or not, put 4 in if you have too...it isn't rocket science. Seen alot of basements that got flooded that didn't have them back in '10'11'12 I think, my brother is handy man, he got so many calls to put them in..it was unreal.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80