Fifth Wheel Friendly

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Im in the process of purchasing a Fifth wheel (38' with Pin weight ~ 2000#).

Question for you veteran fifth wheel haulers - would you install Airbags or Timbrens/Sumosprings? Also anyone aware of any useful phone APPs out there to help with locating gas stations/fifth wheel friendly gas stations along the interstates? Last thing I want is to get "austin powered" in some gas station;)

Thanks

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are you pulling it with? Generally I'd say airbags all the way, the adjust-ability is well worth the extra cost. Being able to deflate them and get close to original ride back when you aren't towing is worth it to me.

As far as apps go I'm not aware of any, though I don't pull out of ND/SD/MN much. When in new areas I just stick to fueling at truck stops.

Last edited:

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as gas stations I've found that most that advertise diesel will have plenty of room. I went with timbrens just because of the cost and I wanted to get them on quick. We bought our 5th wheel and then immediately went on a road trip to Ohio. My truck had a leveling kit on it and I was worried it would sag. They have worked great when pulling the camper. I don't notice much difference during normal driving but speed bumps you know there there.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pull my with a 1997 Dodge 3/4 ton Cummings five speed 82000 miles positive traction all around long box 4.10 gears. Pulling pontoon behind camper. 93'.

Some vehicles just do not need airbags and with some vehicles, they do not shift down on the hills.

However gas station pulling that, yes they can be a concern but truck stops are ok and as long as one stays away from Cenex the fuel is just fine.
That's just my humble opinion. Others my vary. db-2

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as gas stations I've found that most that advertise diesel will have plenty of room. I went with timbrens just because of the cost and I wanted to get them on quick. We bought our 5th wheel and then immediately went on a road trip to Ohio. My truck had a leveling kit on it and I was worried it would sag. They have worked great when pulling the camper. I don't notice much difference during normal driving but speed bumps you know there there.

Ride in the back seat and you'll feel the difference. :)

If we are talking 50k pickups and 40k fifth wheels waffling over a couple hundred extra for the bags is silly. I've installed bags on three different pickups and if you can turn a wrench its simple. None have taken me more than a couple hours of work.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pull my with a 1997 Dodge 3/4 ton Cummings five speed 82000 miles positive traction all around long box 4.10 gears. Pulling pontoon behind camper. 93'.

Some vehicles just do not need airbags and with some vehicles, they do not shift down on the hills.

However gas station pulling that, yes they can be a concern but truck stops are ok and as long as one stays away from Cenex the fuel is just fine.

db-2 I think the length of your rig is longer than allowed in ND

https://www.nd.gov/ndhp/node/132

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...dhp/node/132&usg=AOvVaw1XSLuXLbdhI6Jvo9kxN9X7

[h=1]If I pull two trailers (e.g. camper and a boat), what is the maximum length allowed? [/h]FAQ Category
Motor Vehicles/Trailers

FAQ Answer
The length of any vehicle combination, measured from the extreme front to the extreme rear of the entire combination, cannot exceed 75 feet.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member

93 feet?! Holy balls

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im in the process of purchasing a Fifth wheel (38' with Pin weight ~ 2000#).

Question for you veteran fifth wheel haulers - would you install Airbags or Timbrens/Sumosprings? Also anyone aware of any useful phone APPs out there to help with locating gas stations/fifth wheel friendly gas stations along the interstates? Last thing I want is to get "austin powered" in some gas station;)

Thanks

Try pulling with it first before purchasing either air bags or Timbrens.
On our 13 dually with our big toy hauler we had put Timbrens under it. When we got our 17 dually we didn't need to add them.
Have a friend with a 3/4 ton new ford and he pulls a big toy hauler and doesn't need anything. So i would try it that way first.

Last edited:

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
db-2 I think the length of your rig is longer than allowed in ND

https://www.nd.gov/ndhp/node/132

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...dhp/node/132&usg=AOvVaw1XSLuXLbdhI6Jvo9kxN9X7

[h=1]If I pull two trailers (e.g. camper and a boat), what is the maximum length allowed? [/h]FAQ Category
Motor Vehicles/Trailers

FAQ Answer
The length of any vehicle combination, measured from the extreme front to the extreme rear of the entire combination, cannot exceed 75 feet.

I'd say 90% of the people towing 2 trailers are over that limit.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes it may be a little to long. Damn long trailer on pontoon is great for putting in water but yea it has been mention maybe a little to long.
And for driving it is to long. I get nervous sometimes. Need a camera in back of camper. Do not pull both much anymore at same time. Able to leave one wherever and come back the next weekend to same spot.
But then along side those double trailer grain hauling semis I am shorter, at least it appears that way when I try to pass. db

- - - Updated - - -

Like the guy making America great again it is not if I try or if I win it is when I pass. db

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pull a 37 foot with my Duramax. I started with Supersprings, but then my wife had spinal fusion and I switched to air bags with an onboard compressor. Much better. I just increase the pressure until the bounce stops. I find that with 2350 lb in the box it runs best at 75 psi.

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
I pull a 37 foot with my Duramax. I started with Supersprings, but then my wife had spinal fusion and I switched to air bags with an onboard compressor. Much better. I just increase the pressure until the bounce stops. I find that with 2350 lb in the box it runs best at 75 psi.

I think Ill go with the Airbags and just be done with it. Although, im contemplating the onboard compressor as it adds about $500 to the total cost installed..

Thanks for all the replies!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had airbags in a pickup when it was used for a pop-up camper. The sway of that 1/2 ton was just too much without the airbags.

I run a 2009 F250 now with a 34 ft camper at ~8,000 lbs, and a 17.5 ft Lund behind that. Overall length is 73 ft if I remember correctly, so that's not an issue, nor is the weight on this setup. Nothing else needed, the Ford actually rides better and just overall feels more comfortable with a weight in the backend. Not sure just how much I'd have to put back there to make me wanting air bags, but I would try the setup first before buying the airbags.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think Ill go with the Airbags and just be done with it. Although, im contemplating the onboard compressor as it adds about $500 to the total cost installed..

Thanks for all the replies!

The compressor isnt needed and is simply a luxury, especially if you have a compressor at home. Just get a small digital tire gauge.
Once you figure out how your pickup handles the load under certain PSI you hit them with some air to that PSI before you hook up and you are done. You could probably go from 10PSI to 45 psi in an airbag with a bicycle pump, they take surprisingly little air.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Ram 2500 with factory air bags and they auto fill as the load is being applied keeping the vehicle parallel to the road and work great for pulling trailers. I think it would be a pain to have to fill and deflate manually and getting the right amount needed for a comfortable ride.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dodge, my Goldwing also has air bags with a compressor on board. db

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say 90% of the people towing 2 trailers are over that limit.

I personally think at least 25% of people pulling 1 trailer are pulling more than their vehicle rating allows.
Way bigger percentage are pulling way too fast also!

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Ram 2500 with factory air bags and they auto fill as the load is being applied keeping the vehicle parallel to the road and work great for pulling trailers. I think it would be a pain to have to fill and deflate manually and getting the right amount needed for a comfortable ride.

I have bags on my '17 Tundra that I manually fill..... It's not that bad, they fill shockingly fast and they are tied together so I never have to worry about matching the PSI between the two bags. Now that I've used them for a year, and I'm used to doing it this way, I'm glad I didnt' fork over the money for an on board compressor.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76