Left Lane = PASSING LANE!

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND has no laws against this. Common courtesy only here in ND LEO can not pull you over for this. A lot of states have laws that apply to left lane driving.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else have trouble with clingons on the highway? Clingons are the idiots that hang within a car length of you no matter how fast or slow you're going. Worst one I had was some lady that sat in my blind spot for 20 miles while I was towing my boat. I did 80, she did 80, I did 55, she did 55. Tried to make eye contact with the broad a few times, just a blank stare with hands on 10 n 2. Finally threw the large Coke I got a McDonald's out n bounced it off her windshield.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND has no laws against this. Common courtesy only here in ND LEO can not pull you over for this. A lot of states have laws that apply to left lane driving.

Not exactly true. You can be ticketed in ND for "hindering" traffic, or something like that.

At least that's a conversation I had with an LEO acquaintance who claimed he could write a ticket for this. However, that leaves hindering or obstructing traffic open to legal interpretation and you don't see a lot of tickets written for it in ND.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
The dipshits that pass with the cruise on at 76mph on interstate are about as bad. Hammer down, blow by the slow poke and get back into the right lane, man that pisses me off when I have to pass one of those nimrods in the right lane.

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned
The dipshits that pass with the cruise on at 76mph on interstate are about as bad. Hammer down, blow by the slow poke and get back into the right lane, man that pisses me off when I have to pass one of those nimrods in the right lane.

Absolutely! The best post yet! I love cruise controls but when people obstruct the left lane zoned out with their cruise a couple mph above the speed limit, then I hate em! Use the cruise but hit the danged throttle, pass, then use it again when you are not obstructing traffic!
I have no problem with anyone driving in the left lane as long as they don’t hinder traffic! Lots of times it is perfectly acceptable and fastest for everybody, BUT be aware of other traffics needs and get back in the right lane when other traffic wants thru. Common courtesy!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else have trouble with clingons on the highway? Clingons are the idiots that hang within a car length of you no matter how fast or slow you're going. Worst one I had was some lady that sat in my blind spot for 20 miles while I was towing my boat. I did 80, she did 80, I did 55, she did 55. Tried to make eye contact with the broad a few times, just a blank stare with hands on 10 n 2. Finally threw the large Coke I got a McDonald's out n bounced it off her windshield.
I have experienced this also, not sure what is going thru a persons mind when doing this. I have actually taken an off ramp and sat for 5 minutes waiting for the person to get further down the road just to get away from their madness. Getting kind of pissed off just thinking about it

( deleted account )

Banned
Banned

I love that term Clingons, MSA!
A similar pet peeve of mine is that when passing another vehicle with the throttle open, properly signaling a lane change, leaving a good safe space, then as you are changing lanes, the passed vehicle deliberately hits the throttle till he/she is on your bumper, then drops back! I’m seeing more of this “ up your butt” behavior. Presumablythey are trying to give you vehicle finger for passing them, even when done safely, turn signals used properly, passed quickly, etc.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO, the second largest irritant for sure and easily top-3 for creating dangerous situations on ND highways are people who don't use their cruise.

Last Sunday I was on Hwy 2, in the left lane @ 75MPH passing someone. This black sedan is coming up behind me all of 85MPH about 1/2Mi back, so, I get into the right lane when it's safe and courteous both to the person I just passed as well as the car going much faster. Black sedan ALMOST gets past me, like their rear bumper is even w/my front bumper, and, they hit the brakes. Drops back to my rear bumper and sits there for ~2Mi, then, takes off again going over 80. They gets about 2 car-lengths ahead of me and brake again to get behind. I can see the driver and passenger conversing. No texting, no phone calls. The car is going straight so the driver is obviously watching the road but paying 0 attention to their speed. The driver then merges behind me and varies from 1/4Mi, to less than a car length off my bumper for 20Mi. I bet their car gets REALLY crappy MPG! Finally I pull out to pass another car, the black car rides right up behind that one and stays there, decides to follow that person instead of me.

About 6wks ago, from Valley City to Fargo I passed, and was re-passed 4x by the same driver texting away every time I glanced @ them. Actually kept the vehicle surprisingly straight in their lane, and had this person set the cruise I would only have dealt with them once. Bouncing from 75-85MPH+ in a 4-cyl smallish SUV I'm fairly sure makes it downshift a lot even in our flat country and has to be hard on MPG.

The least courteous Semi-drivers are folks who are NOT running daily and/or commercially.

Last edited:

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As you guys know I spend way too much quality time on the road. I see so much stupid every week you wouldn't believe it.

I hate the guy that is hauling ass and just as he gets ready to pass you he slows down and camps out on your bumper, nothing gets rid of him slowing down or speeding up he's right there. Yup the semi going 57 passing the one going 56 is a good one, the car that has been going 10 under the limit suddenly hits the gas and is 15 over the limit just as you're passing. The car 10-15 under the limit living in the fast lane and WILL NOT move over as you come up behind them. I see more and more truck drivers and motorhomes doing this ever day.

I think the one that pisses me off the worst is the asshole with a pickup or SUV pulling a trailer that has mirrors that WILL NOT let him see behind or even to the side of the trailer. I see 40-50 of these pricks a week. There you are coming up in YOUR lane getting ready to pass and bam there he is in your lane with no clue you're even there. I have been run off the road 3x this year so far. Or as you're passing him he happens to glance over and almost runs off the road because he thought no one was there.

Our freeways are falling apart here and most of the locals drive the fast lane because there are fewer bomb craters in it, but as you come up behind them they change lanes and let you pass then they get back in the fast lane.

People are stupid and at least 25% shouldn't have a license for anything more than going back and forth to the grocery.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
When will having a conversation with someone in your car be considered 'distracted driving'... Changing that law opened a whole can of worms IMO. If you have a crying kid in the car and you look over at it, are you distracted, probably. Putting on lipstick at a stoplight, distracted? Probably... Thank you nanny state!

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member

Along with the idiots that will pass you stay about a car length ahead for about 20 mile, then slow down get behind you then pas again, and yup I hate the door knobs that sit in your blind spot for miles.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a long drive everyday and the best tip I could give anyone is look down the road farther. You can usually see when something is going to be an issue before you get to it if you look past the hood ornament. If there's going to be a clog, take it off cruise and kick her down and get by it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
people stay in my blind stop for about 10 seconds - then I take measures to remedy that - usually braking and waiting for them to move on

same with tailgaters... I brake, pull off the road, make them get ahead of me - and I do so almost the second I realize they are doing it

I have almost zero tolerance for vehicular lurking of any sort

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also the ones that pass and there is open road ahead but they get 1 car length ahead of you and pull back into your lane. I hate this with a passion as we have had too many rocks hit the windshield from these idiots. Just waiting for one of these clowns to do this and then dynamite the brakes and you rear-end them.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
To get back to the original post, the left lane is for passing. Just because it isn't ILLEGAL to sit in that lane for 10 miles, or 400 miles, doesn't mean you should do it. Case in point (and yes, this is a dead horse we're beating on here) between Bismarck and Mandan, there are some left-lane exits. I get it. You may be in the left lane because you need to be. But you don't need to sit in the left lane from Washington Street and Expy (in South Bismarck) to Sunset Boulevard in NW Mandan.

When you are in the left lane, and someone is behind you, you should go to the right lane. It's common courtesy. Does there need to be a law enacted (do we really need more legislation? Don't we have enough?!) before we do what we all know is right?

People say "well, it's not illegal...".

Lots of things aren't illegal. Doesn't mean we should be dicks until someone passes another law.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It seems like some of today's truckers are oblivious or selfish... they set the cruise and couldn't care less how it affects others.

What other answer is there for how often you run into two semis going the same speed down the highway side by side for mile after mile, with a long line of cars stewing behind them?

Symptom of overall culture I guess? :;:huh

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82