Archery_Elk

Viper

Thinking of using 125gr. Muzzy (MX-3) for elk this year, anything other fixed broadheads out there that are worth looking into? Price isn't too bad on these. 3 pack for 25-30$.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never killed an elk with a bow, but I have killed a lot of deer with fixed blade muzzy's. Cant beat that tip/ locking blades IMHO.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't focus too much on the broadhead, as any good fixed blade will work if it's attached to the right arrow. I prefer a good cut on contact head with a heavy arrow behind it. I'd go as heavy as your can with your total arrow weight.

Viper

for years I've been shooting 100gr. spritfire for deer, so also debating if need to switch to a fix blade and also to the 125gr. for elk... is it worth going to fix blade and to 125gr. ?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I killed an elk and a moose with a 100 gr Stinger 2-blade. Double-lung, neither made it 50 yards. My brother dispatched an elk quickly with a 100 gr 3 blade Muzzy.
Any solid fixed blade that you can shoot well will do.

- - - Updated - - -

for years I've been shooting 100gr. spritfire for deer, so also debating if need to switch to a fix blade and also to the 125gr. for elk... is it worth going to fix blade and to 125gr. ?

Fixed blade: yes.
125 grain: probably won't make a difference -- don't think it has much more chance of penetrating a shoulder or something else you shouldn't have hit than a 100.

Last edited:

Nelly

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used a fixed blade, 100 gr. Magnus Stinger 2 blade, for my ND Moose and had a complete pass through at 45 yards. Most of today's broadheads will get you results. Make sure your blades are extremely sharp, but more important is shot placement. I have shot grizzly bear, black bears, moose, antelope, whitetails, pigs, and turkeys all with the same 100 gr. Magnus Stingers. I am currently looking at an elk hunt myself and have no desire to go to a heavier broadhead.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure they are sharp and make sure you practice to hit the spot where you want to hit.
Can't stress practice enough. Don't forget to practice with your broadhead too.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Muzzy are great...if you are taking close shots.
Get a head that is one solid piece and that just that much less you have to worry about. All heads will kill elk, its when thing go to hell as they some times do in the heat of the moment. That's when you need a quality built head, for when shots aren't perfect.

VPA make a tough machined one piece broadhead.

That being said I shot my last bull with an ulmer edge mechanical thou ha ha ha

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Montecs for a one piece. I am 100% confident in the Muzzy 100 3 blades. I killed an elk with lots of bone hits and had a full pass thru. I think they will do the job.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you get your muzzy heads to shoot like your field points at 40-60 yds? I never could, they kind of had a mind of their own.
But my sons shot all of their deer from blinds with Muzzy 4 blades at close range an they did awesome!

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you get your muzzy heads to shoot like your field points at 40-60 yds? I never could, they kind of had a mind of their own.
But my sons shot all of their deer from blinds with Muzzy 4 blades at close range an they did awesome!

This is the key! You need to practice with your broadheads and make sure they are flying like field points. You can have the toughest, meanest broadhead, but if they fly like crap and you miss your mark... the toughness of your broadhead doesn't matter. Be able and confident that you can to hit your spot!

I shot Muzzy a while back. They didn't fly true for me, so I quit using them. That doesn't mean they wont fly true for someone else though...

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started shooting Iron Will Outfitters broadheads last year. They are expensive but they are very well made and fly great. They will fly with my field points at every range I've shot them to. They are extremely sharp and have a lifetime warranty. The company is out of Colorado but they are manufactured somewhere in North Dakota. I use 125 grain with FMJ arrows. I haven't shot an elk yet with them but I sure hope to in the near future.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75