it's juneberry saskatoon serviceberry season

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go get em. They are wonderful this year here in the east. I've also seen pics of good sets out west.

- - - Updated - - -

I would post some food pron but NDA isn't taking any uploads today for some reason.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Huh, mine here in Buleigh are also just starting to turn. They aren't the native ones tho.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Natives are ahead of the domestics by about a week here in Richland/Cass. It's 100% go time for wild variety. I also got some pics of black ripe berries in the Killdeer area too.

- - - Updated - - -

This spring when I traveled west it seemed like we were a week or two ahead of you guys in tree growth around mid April - makes sense that translates to berries too I guess.

Magpie

Founding Member
Founding Member
In northwest ND, juneberries are never ready til after the 4th of July. Usually around the 10th. Always thought they should be called Julyberries.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
2000-01-01 00.00.00.jpg
test test test.....

- - - Updated - - -

dangit - what's going on here?

- - - Updated - - -

2018-06-25_10.15.48_HDR.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

2018-06-25_10.00.11.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

2018-06-25_10.00.16-1.jpg

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Smokey variety in my yard doesnt even have a blue berry on the bush yet. I just netted it yesterday. Good set this year tho!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's a tick magnet in the bushes.

zero ticks after a three hour pick

picking in the rain in the morning is the way to go

- - - Updated - - -

71YOWtrrrVL._SL1500_.jpg

P00977_1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

when we drive a long way to pick berries among the mosquitos, flies ticks, heat, dust, thorns etc. we like to maximize our harvest per welt... ha ha

these tools are worth their weight in gold and will last a lifetime

having both hands free and just "rolling" the berries loose in front of you and they're dropping into the bag feels like cheating compared to the ice cream bucket we had growing up

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know of a few bushes in the bismarck area, but the birds usually get them before they are ripe enough for me....

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have found that the location of the bushes plays a huge role in how badly birds strip them

some bushes are stripped bare while 1/4 mile away, in a different setting, almost zero depredation

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy, I'm having the same problem posting pictures from my IPhone. What did you do to make it work?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was on PC. Did the more complicated pic hosting thing. Tried to post the direct link from more complicated thing and even that didn’t work.

Gave up, then came up with idea - copied from pic hosting site, pasted into NDA.

Fabio gave me the strength to persevere.

Magpie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hang the ice cream pail around your neck with an old belt/strap. Two handed picking. Bring along a five gallon bucket to transfer ice cream pails to.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see they have one on amazon for about $40, where did you get yours?

yep - Amazon

the bottom one is lighter and hangs off to one side a touch a bit - I don't prefer that one but galwhopicksberriesfast does

I love the top one with the straps that cross in the back. It feels like you don't have it on and the basket opening has stiff wire that is perfectly contoured to your body and if you throw/drop anything at the bottom of your chest they're going straight in! it's designed for apples but man can a guy go to town with berries

on branches loaded with fruit you use one hand to pull the branch down/over and hold the branch generally in front of you and the other hand to roll the berries loose - very effortless

I'm not sure which is best for low bushes (domestics) where you have to kneel or sit because my bushes at home are still small and aren't producing much yet

- - - Updated - - -

my mom prefers this one

611LUHFY0tL._SL1200_.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I bent those attachment clips so they don't disconnect so damn easy

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
My juneberries are the variety that you get from NRCS. They are about ten feet tall now. I am wondering if I cut them back to four feet if they will bush. Anyone have an idea about this.

The ripening is strange this year. Some berries are ripe and others area small and yellowish green yet.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75