lake trout

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
why dont we have a lake trout stocking program on sak in nd?... I understand they used to but why not now? angler interest? compete with salmon? seems to me a cold water fish that is active for more than two months a year would be another opportunity for anglers.... how cool would it be to pull a 30 lb laker out from the 60ft through the ice..... Ive asked around a bit in the fisheries world and could not get much of an answer..... armchair ichthyologists.....what say you?

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sakakawea is just a few degrees too warm for them in the fall after the lake turns over.

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of lake trout stocked in sakakawea for many years, they just never made it. I've caught two in the tailrace, but I suspect those were washed down from ft peck, since it was during high flow years.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was with when a guy caught one on a tip up on the west end. In about ‘88 or ‘89. Nobody knew what it was until they got it home and found a book. Cool fish, would be awesome if they could make it.

- - - Updated - - -

I was with when a guy caught one on a tip up on the west end. In about ‘88 or ‘89. Nobody knew what it was until they got it home and found a book. Cool fish, would be awesome if they could make it.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
fair enough. so how can ft.peck support them? colder mountain water? higher elevation? could a viable population be supported downstream of the dam? how does sak support salmon but not lakers which are more natural to midwestern states and provinces? this may be a discussion next time at knights msa. ill get the first round.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ft peck is just a bit colder than sak. I believe it's deeper to. Lakers don't tolerate warmer water like salmon do.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
you know what they say, if it smells like trout, get the .......... well you know...

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
NOT a walleye snob by any stretch, but given my druthers, I'd rather convert smelt into walleye fillets vs. lake trout fillets. Don't get me wrong, lakers are fun to catch and make a great smoked fish, but if I want lakers, I'll make the trip to where they are to get'em. Additionally, stocking salmonids is an expensive proposition as well from what I understand and takes lots of room in the hatcheries. LOW isn't that far away.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
this is going to sound strange but I recall smelt-fed walleyes seemed oilier and fishier than other walleyes

this is a 20 year old memory - thoughts?

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everything I'm finding says Lakers stress at 60 degrees. I see temps in the mid 60s in the tailrace, which comes from the deepest part of the lake.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha

I remember a “fat slick” floating on the water they were cleaned in

it was sorta gross

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ill have to trust msa's insight on this matter but dammit I want some lake trout! being a coldwater fish i wouldnt think they compete too much with walleyes but salmon i can see. i definitely see your point kdm id imagine our salmon program comes with a hefty price tag, but well worth it imho. everything ive read indicated lake trout are good natural reproducers in their respective fisheries plus they are active summer and winter. I love salmon fishing but the window is small and the fish cant sustain themselves without stocking. what if the gnf just did one more
"test" run too see if anything shows up in the creel surveys.... haha surely weve wasted tax dollars alot stupider than that.

- - - Updated - - -

where is the best place closest to bismarck to get into some lakers? may have to plan a trip in the near future

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fort Peck would be the closest lake with Lakers. There's also one lake in the Black Hills (only sustainable Dakota population) that has them. Clearwater lake is on my bucket list.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I were to head out for lakers I'd go to Duluth and fish Superior or Sioux Narrows on LOW Ontario. Both places have'em and if you limit early, there are other target fish species available to fill the void. That and I like the change of scenery.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fort Peck would be the closest lake with Lakers. There's also one lake in the Black Hills (only sustainable Dakota population) that has them. Clearwater lake is on my bucket list.

pactola is the lake

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
My armchair biology degree makes me think having lakers and salmon in sak would be challenging. I know they're trying to eradicate them from Yellowstone lake in WY, is that just because their focus is all on the native trout species?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
My armchair biology degree makes me think having lakers and salmon in sak would be challenging. I know they're trying to eradicate them from Yellowstone lake in WY, is that just because their focus is all on the native trout species?

Yes, I think some of the native trout species are in trouble because the introduced ones are eating them. I read/heard that while out at Yellowstone a few years ago.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75