Best O/U for the money

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was at Scheels in Bismarck the other day and they had a killer deal on a mid grade Citori in 16 gauge. I left really considering it, went back with half intentions of buying it and am now kicking myself for not scooping it up. In any case, it was probably still too expensive but I really love the way a Citori fits me. I'd really like a 16g O/U. What's the best bang for your buck double out there?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can spend some quality time behind the gun, yes, an OU is worth it.

I look at guns as toys/tools and don't get real attached to my firearms. I never buy a gun intending to sell it but often end up horse trading to try something new. One of the few guns I can't bare to let go of is my Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 20g. I bought it used and I've put 5 or 6 cases through it shooting clays. I've never been an O/U guy or a 20g guy but this gun has changed that over the course of the past year. Berettas are built to *never* wear out and they're thin and tight and sexy and wonderfully balanced. And keep in mind, the 686 is their entry level. Some Berettas sell for 5 and 6 figures.

As for 16g: After shooting a 12g auto loader and a handful of 20g SxS and O/U, I was surprised by the unpleasant recoil when I shot a 16g SxS several weeks ago. I'm a big guy and not afraid of recoil, but I was happy to give back that 16g. 20g is delightful and it's nothing to go through 3 boxes in 30 minutes. (It's like an AR or .22, just fun to shoot!)

Browning Citori: No experience, but they seem like a quality gun for the money (but not a sexy Italian...)

Don't drop $2k on a Beretta. If you're patient, keep an eye on Gunbroker. 20g hold their value very well so it's hard to find one used for under $15-1600. 12g (no thanks!) can be had new for $16-1700, used for $1300. I don't think you'll find a modern 16g Beretta O/U. Pretty sure they've just stuck to 12/20/28/410 in recent years.

The new Franchi guns look promising and the price is very nice. I don't know if I'd go for the SL with aluminum receiver. I like the way the steel receiver feels and the extra few ounces will help with recoil and balance.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 20g Field Grade Citori on loan from my father in law that my son and daughter will eventually use. It is a dream to carry upland hunting. 3" 6s are almost unfair for pheasants. When I have to give the gun up, I just can't see myself bringing the Versamax out of the blind or the 870 out of retirement. I'll have to shoulder some Berettas but the prices are more than what I could have got that 16g Citori for. I'm an idiot.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not going to argue gauge as I assume you have decided on a .16. If the gun fits you well get it. If it's a " killer deal" what's to suggest?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, someone else bought it so it's not available anymore. I'd accept a 20 too. Just like the idea of a 16.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I bought a 12ga O/U at the Reeds gun show earlier this year. It is a Stevens 555. Pretty nice little gun and for 350$ it was definitely coming home with me. There is hardly any kick with light target loads, but it kicks considerably more with 3" high velocity loads.
I feel the same way about guns being tools, so I didn't even consider anything over 1000$. I also got a great deal on an A300 outlander at the same time so I should be set for a long time as far as shotguns go.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been heavily pondering an O/U for a while, wanting to make a move here soon. I have zero experience with any but would love one for clays, upland and doves. Not opposed to a 20ga but prefer a 12. Here are my options

1. My great uncle wants to sell me his 26" 12 ga Ruger Red Label that he won at some banquet for $900
2. 12 ga Citori on sale at Gander for 30% off
3. 20ga Berreta also on sale at Gander

Leaning towards the red label, does anyone have one of these? Or should I go with the Citori? They all feel great shouldering

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never understood the appeal of an o/u. My theory is, the pheasant limit is three. Your standard autoloader with a plug holds three. Can't be a coincidence, can it??

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
My SBEII does not cycle light target loads well so I need something that can shoot more than one round at a time without drowning it in gun oil right before the shoot. Also would be nice to have a spare in the truck when one of my friends' cheap pumps breaks down (has happened multiple times from various friends that do not hunt often)

I've never understood the appeal of an o/u. My theory is, the pheasant limit is three. Your standard autoloader with a plug holds three. Can't be a coincidence, can it??

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will not look back if you buy a Citori. I have shot mine for yrs and never a problem. My Dad had a Winchester 101 and about half the time the ejectors wouldnt work.

The Ruger Red label is a nice gun. Thing is you can take it out and shoot it to see if you like it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 20g Benelli M2 is such a light-weight, balanced, form-fitting, and low recoil pleasure to shoot for skeet, doves, and pheasant I can't imagine wanting to shoot anything else.

I am in awe of the guy(s) who invented the inertia system. Genius.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
They carry so much better in the field. The fit and balance on a good O/U is better too I think. Shooting just feels more natural which translates into more birds.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Browning citori is +++ consider the sporting special if they still offer it? as it has a 3" chamber,trigger pull is heavy but can be adjusted,they shoot flat like all field guns but that can be adjusted as well if needed,breach shotguns will last a life time and if the block gets lose its an easy update fix after many 1000's of rds,gun comes with 5 chokes which are okay but after market choke companies such as briley will give ya a better pattern combined with the right shot shell for your shotgun,takes some time to dial it in just like rifle rds on paper.Bottom barrel shoots a little high which is great for going away targets/birds(60/40 ff dead center) top barrel is 50/50 right off the gun rack.Down side is the LOP (LENGTH OF PULL)off the rack and the recoil pad is more suited as a door stop both are easy to upgrade.Citori has barrel select as well.

I see issues at clay shoots with beretta's,mostly trigger issues.682's,not sure why but they are always at the traveling gunsmith's at shoots.

16ga ammo can be a challenge to find and spendy when ya do,20ga? not my deal but folks that have'em love'em,nice and lite to carry afield.

Last edited:

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
Snow I agree - I have a pair of Browning 725 Sporting Clays - 12 ga and 20 ga. 30" barrels on both and a Graco recoil system on both. They shoot like a dream (better than I will ever be). The 12 has over 8000 rounds through it - the 20 is just getting broke in with only around a 1000 rounds through it. I, however, don't think brand or model really matters - it's what fits that matters. No matter how much or how little you pay for it - if it doesn't fit you it will never shoot well -

Just my $.02

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brew,I agree to a certain extent,I here this often about gun fit and I see and here folks talk in gun shops about fit.feel right off the rack,one guy is 5'6 and the 725 he's handling feels awkward as an example,then he picksup a A300 and settles in not knowing how easy it is to fit the o/u so it fits like a glove and neither does the shop clerk,then another guy 6' comes in grabs the 725 and says,hey "feels great",then later another guy,big boy@6'6 picksup the 725,"ah man nice gun but my thumb is hitting my nose,couple shims and he's off.

Point is "gun fit" off the rack is relative they all feel different depending on body makeup,a serious scatter gunner that wants to enhance his shooting whether it be targets or field can make it right and best done by the right smith.

Exception is the weekend warrior type that does'nt shoot targets and kicks up a few roosters every fall and tags a few ducks/geese once in awhile,hell that guy can make anything work and go bang and if he drops a few,great if not no big deal.

Good point on recoil reducer's as breach shotguns have more felt recoil just like pumps,most folks haven't a clue what to do about it.

My point is shouldering a handful of guns off the rack won't fit everyone the same,most often they all feel good but a little tweaking they'll fit like a glove and point well.

Last edited:

KJND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gun fit is very important and agree with BrewCrew...

If you plan to shoot a 100 shells a year through the gun, most likely the cheaper o/u's would work well for you. In general the cheaper o/u's are either too light and will kick the crap out of you or they are bulky and a real P.I.A to carry. Barrel regulation can often be brutal on the cheaper made o/u's.

If you want one to hunt all birds with i would recommend stepping up the price scale a little bit. If you are afraid to spend over 1k, that's fine, just scour gun broker for used guns that look to be in good condition of the higher cost models. Most Beretta field guns will come with the same stock dimensions so if you like the way they feel at your local gun shop than keep an eye on the gun sites for a used Whitewing, Blackwing, Essential which should all be under 1K. Can't help on the Browning side but know they are a reliable workhorse of a gun as well.

My first O/U was a SKB 585, the Japanese made model, very underated. I used that thing for absolutely everything (clays & field) for years and ended up selling it to a member of my skeet league team 10 years ago'ish. That gun is still kicking with no problems today and i'd wager to guess that the gun has seen well over 50k rounds. Trap loads to 3" steel goose hunting loads. Those guns can be had for under 1k but have to be bought online and are now a DQ'd model. Only downfall to that gun, but can still be serviced at GU in Omaha.

Other brands I personally keep an eye on are Verona's & Savage Milano's these used to be the real sleepers in the bunch. Italian made (F.A.I.R.) with a sleek profile of a beretta but machined internals instead of hand fit. I've shot thousands of rounds through a Verona 20/28 gauge combo with only one real hiccup. The safety got really sticky after the first 5 years so took it into the gunsmith. Turns out that there was some machining lines that needed to be cleaned up, $50 later and the safety moves as slick as my Beretta's.

Shoulder as many different brands as you can to find the style that fits you best.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
They carry so much better in the field. The fit and balance on a good O/U is better too I think. Shooting just feels more natural which translates into more birds.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I've hunted with a few O/Us on everything from quail in Texas to phez in Nodak. Just not my bag.

But you are correct -- fit is everything. My Benelli M2 fits like an extension of my arm. Plus it's light and hardly kicks. God I love that gun.

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think you can find a better O/U for the money than a Citori. Check out the gun racks at a trap range, way more Citoris than all others combined. They are the most reliable O/U available. I've shot trap with one for over 30 years.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out the ruger, dad, uncle, and myself all have them. Nice guns that shoot great. Never had an issue with any of them. Citori was also on my list but price of the ruger kept me looking. I have no buyers remorse as it's killed a lot of clays and winged creatures.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63