Bow Talk

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I am finding myself prepping for bow season. I had sold my old bow, and recently purchased a Bear. It runs at 330 fps. What are some of you hardcore guys running for fps, and what bow do you run? I had been a Mathews guy, and still am, but could not pass up on this buy. I get it in a week and looking forward to playing with a new toy.

In addition, what is everyone running for arrows?

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm by no means an "extreme" bow hunter, I shoots some does in the bottoms every year and that's about it. I'm running around 330 on my bowtech assassin at 70# but have it lightened up a bit at 60# for ease. I'm using carbon exspress and muzzy mx3 fixed blades, the area I hunt is very thick so most shots are under 30 yards so stayed w the fixed blades. Have been happy so far with the two seasons on this setup

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm running black eagle carnivores. Brass inserts and 125 grain heads. I haven't chrono'd this set up yet.

im shooting xpedition and obsession bows. Used to be a Mathews guy but switched a couple years ago.

Last edited:

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
I shoot a mathews switchback and carbon express 350 arrows with a 100 grain Montec G5 broadhead. Not sure on the speed but it does the job on everything I hunt. It's ready for elk in a month!

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I almost bought a Heli-m. I'll give this bow a year and see how I like it.

Anyone running in that 350+ fps?

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine are rated at 350 but with my shorter draw length I don't get that. If i shoot absolute min weight arrows I'll get 310 or so.

Unless you have a draw length of 30" you won't get the listed speed. That's what it is calculated off of.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speed is sexy but it's not the most important thing. It's only one part of the KE equation. If I have to choose between speed or more down range KE, I'll opt for the heavier arrow. But if you can get your 400+ grain arrow to cruise at 350fps, that's pretty nice.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speed is sexy but it's not the most important thing. It's only one part of the KE equation. If I have to choose between speed or more down range KE, I'll opt for the heavier arrow. But if you can get your 400+ grain arrow to cruise at 350fps, that's pretty nice.

Im guessing mine will be running around 280 with a 440 grain arrow. I need to check . Not that it matters though. They are still zipping along pretty good.

the speed and flat trajectory is great for 3D but not so great for hunting.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hoyt faktor turbo and Easton axis arrows. Need to buy some fmj's. hell, I need to get out and shoot some arrows. As far as speed, I have no idea. I have a 28.5" draw so I'm going to be below the rated speed but I pull 73 lbs. need to fire them rhomboids off every now and then.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator

Completely agree. I had not shopped for one in years, so I was a little surprised by the speeds that can be achieved now. My 330 (will be a little less with my 29" draw) is a big step up from previous bows.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run the Momentum arrows by Grizzly Stik. Ultra forward of center design. Total arrow weight with broadhead is just under 650. I was very very skeptical at first, but the downrange energy speaks for itself. And the extreme forward of center weight does wonders for stability.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I shoot an Xpedition Xcentric 7 and I think IBO is right around that 340-345fps. Haven't chronoed it with my 28.5" draw but its fast enough. Arrows are Black Eagle Spartans around 435 GPI total weight with 100gr head.
Putting new strings and cables on today and then tuning over the weekend. Probably going to try the QAD Exodus heads this year. Shot Steelforce phatheads last year and they zipped through both deer like hot knife through butter but blood trails weren't that great.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a compound bow that shoots carbon arrows with sharp broadheads faster than a deer at 20 yards can duck. Hope that helps.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
This will be my first year bow hunting. I have an Elite Synergy with 30.5" draw. 65lb draw weight. Easton Full Metal Jacket with 100gr Shwacker mechanicals. My arrow weight is at about 500 grains. Not sure on the speed but should be between around 280 fps I think and at that weight it should be a murderer. I can't wait.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two set ups. Both are elite impulse 31. I have one set at 71lbs and a 27" draw shooting a 496 grain, yes 496 grain gold tip chaos. The other is 63lbs, 27" draw shooting a 410grain maxima red. Neither bow shoots over 300fps, but that 496 grain arrow doesn't get stopped by bone either. Most of my shots are within 30 yards and I like to have the extra momentum at impact and she hits like a freight train. I like the second set up for later in the year when it's cold and wearing that extra clothing, still easy to draw the bow. I also shoot 3D out of my second set up.

Also, made the switch last year to single bevel broad heads.

Last edited:

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot black eagle carnivores with standard insert and a 50 grain Fact weight behind the insert and a 125 grain grim reaper broadhead... my bow is a hoyt nitrum draw weight is 71# and my arrow actually flies at 287 fps... my ibo speed is 331... what I've gleaned from the podcasts I listen to is you want a light arrow and as much weight forward as possible thus people using brass inserts and fact weights and 125g broadheads... it improves arrow flight and accuracy... also take your bow to the Bismarck scheels and have the guys give it a tune up it's worth the drive

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a compound bow that shoots carbon arrows with sharp broadheads faster than a deer at 20 yards can duck. Hope that helps.

Ha! I was thinking the same thing. I shoot (I believe) Carbon Express arrows with three-blade Muzzy broadheads originally purchased over a decade ago. Powering the works is an old Bear that my folks bought me as a birthday present when I was in high school, and I originally used to shoot carp. Didn't actually kill a deer with it until 2013 (first year I tried bow hunting for anything sans scales). Gut shot a deer in 2014 and felt so bad I hung it up for a year. Brought it back out again last year and put one right through the carburetor of a fat and sassy old doe in -20 weather. Hoping to repeat that this year.

I have absolutely no idea how fast it shoots. I do know that my comfort distance is exactly 30 yards and not a foot further. And I only shoot one pin.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66