Deer hunting land

Bamberg32

Hello, would anyone possibly know of any farmers to let a guy hunt on in the 3b3 section or know of public land to hunt on in that section? Just moved from Minnesota so new to the area.

Thanks,

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Bam, welcome to ND, I am not going to sugar coat this, that is a tough unit to access land and there is not a lot of public land. Below is a link to the plots system, this is a mapping system showing land that can be accessed such as PLOTS and WMA. you will have to figure the unit boundaries and then look in that area on the plots. There are two areas of red on that unit Smiths Grove and Arroda lakes WMA's they are open to public hunting but do also have some pressure on them during season. If you are willing to put in some ground work, there are deer taken off them but I can tell you if you are looking for a trophy buck you are in for a tough time, if looking for a doe or meat buck, some work will probably complete that. A little scouting of these areas may help a lot. Other option is to try knocking on some doors and see what happens but not going to lie to you this is a tight unit for access.

http://gfapps.nd.gov/mobile/?viewer=plotsguidemv Plots page also accessible with a lot of info on G&F site in a lot of areas
https://gf.nd.gov/gnf/maps/management/documents-img-management-unit-deer.jpg ND Deer gun units

wish I could offer more but hopefully at least a start for you. dukgnfsn

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hello, would anyone possibly know of any farmers to let a guy hunt on in the 3b3 section or know of public land to hunt on in that section? Just moved from Minnesota so new to the area.

Thanks,
Why that unit specifically? Just curious but not much public land the way it looks, I suggest getting out and scout and knock on doors.

Nmariner

Established Member
Im sure there are a lot of landowners that already allow access to a few hunters and or family and dont want it over pressured. Also there are some very disrespectful hunters. My uncle owns a quarter of land North of Bismarck that me and a few other guys hunt. Also let a few guys we know in a year with doe tags(depending how the deer population looks in the area). I keep it posted for him and have to replace torn down posted signs a few times a season. Really frustrating showing up to hunt and signs are laying on the ground with tire tracks going through the land. We have had trail cameras stolen several times as well. Sucks that a few bad apples ruin it for everyone. If you want to get on private land I would definitely follow sportsmans advice and knock on doors and visit with land owners face to face. Make sure you go several weeks before season to ask and show them that you're a friendly guy and you should find a place or two to hunt.

- - - Updated - - -

Also just a heads up the population took a pretty good hit this winter. I found 7 dead deer on my uncles 1/4 alone.

Bamberg32

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

Was going to hunt on a coworkers land, but not going to work out now. This is the unit I was drawn for.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There is a WMA south of washburn off River road before you get to 83. It's pretty good size & you need to walk a bit to get to it which keeps the lazy hunters out.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to be nitpicky, but that's actually Highway 1804, not River Road. Of course, that's if you are talking about Painted Woods WMA.

I haven't hunted it for a few years, but I did chase pheasants around out there quite a bit up to about 5-6 yrs ago. It gets hit really damn hard by bird hunters so the deer are pretty much only around right at and after dark from my experience.

Stupid question, but didn't that WMA just get expanded by a few acres? Last I checked the access is just that one parking lot on the south.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member

Thanks,

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

Was going to hunt on a coworkers land, but not going to work out now. This is the unit I was drawn for.

Did you apply as a NR or how did that all work out?

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Bam, welcome to ND, I am not going to sugar coat this, that is a tough unit to access land and there is not a lot of public land. Below is a link to the plots system, this is a mapping system showing land that can be accessed such as PLOTS and WMA. you will have to figure the unit boundaries and then look in that area on the plots. There are two areas of red on that unit Smiths Grove and Arroda lakes WMA's they are open to public hunting but do also have some pressure on them during season. If you are willing to put in some ground work, there are deer taken off them but I can tell you if you are looking for a trophy buck you are in for a tough time, if looking for a doe or meat buck, some work will probably complete that. A little scouting of these areas may help a lot. Other option is to try knocking on some doors and see what happens but not going to lie to you this is a tight unit for access.

http://gfapps.nd.gov/mobile/?viewer=plotsguidemv Plots page also accessible with a lot of info on G&F site in a lot of areas
https://gf.nd.gov/gnf/maps/management/documents-img-management-unit-deer.jpg ND Deer gun units

wish I could offer more but hopefully at least a start for you. dukgnfsn

This is the reason why many guys apply for the hard to draw units

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
It does you no good to have a archery, rifle, or muzzy tag if you don't have a place to hunt.

But if he bow hunts too he'll probably shoot 3, 4, hell maybe even 5 deer. Problem solved

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
More deer die everyone gets to use a rifle.
the bow hunters would still have their bow only tag if they choose to they just couldn't have a rifle tag. the amount of rifle hunters wouldn't change you just wouldn't have guys doing both, this would have minimum changes to the overall deer harvest

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
the bow hunters would still have their bow only tag if they choose to they just couldn't have a rifle tag. the amount of rifle hunters wouldn't change you just wouldn't have guys doing both, this would have minimum changes to the overall deer harvest

Then what would it accomplish besides make some people feel better?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 153
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79