Federal Request for Secret Fishing-Spot

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
[h=1]Envious Angler Files Federal Request for Secret Fishing-Spot Location[/h]BY KRIS MILLGATE

An envious angler has filed a Freedom of Information claim in Canada—all because pro fisherman Mike Borger wouldn’t disclose his favorite honey hole.

“I haven’t told anybody about this lake,” Borger told CBC-Radio Canada. “I wouldn’t even tell my best friend about this lake.”
The trouble started this spring, when Borger and his son fished the secret spot—which is somewhere in Ontario’s Algonquin Park—and landed some trophy 5- to 6-pound brook trout. Following the trip, Borger posted a 40-minute video of the outing to You Tube, showing off some of the monster trout the pair caught. But Borger purposefully withheld the specific location of the spot.

According to Newser, Algonquin Park boasts more than 2,400 lakes, so Borger had good reason to think that his secret spot was safe. In late July, however, he received a five-page notice from the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry after an unknown person filed a Freedom of Information claim requesting a record of Borger’s camping permit.

“I’m going to give him credit because it was an incredibly smart, underhanded, and a little bit devious,” Borger told reporters. “If somebody has a copy of my interior camping permit, which shows which lakes I camped on each night, they can clearly and easily figure out which lake I caught these trophy fish in.”

Borger was no doubt upset, telling the CBC that he feels “violated, angry, [and] stunned.”
For now, however, the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry hasn’t released Borger’s camping permit, so the jealous angler will have to keep casting blind.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, that redefines "Pirate" and "Douchebaggery" all at once.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
More and more, I hesitate to post a picture of a fish. It's not even the too small/big argument that usually ensues.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
More and more, I hesitate to post a picture of a fish. It's not even the too small/big argument that usually ensues.

Along the same vein as DM's comment, I can't fathom the number of folks who like to let the world know when they're going to be or are gone. Such as, "Going on my 1st XX hunting trip the XX week of Oct/Nov", or, "Taking a winter vacation the XX week of Jan/Feb". IMO, you might just as well put up a neon sign out front that says, "Now's the time to steal my stuff."

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you find a secret spot, keep your mouth shut. Simple concept, but everyone is looking for attention these days on facebook, youtube etc.

Ive always been hesitant to post any pics, especially ones with me in them. Its amazing the shit storm that can start just by posting one big deer/fish pic.

Last edited:

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member

I agree! I have gone as far as not posting pics with the background showing or the baits/technique I was using. My dad laughs when I pull out the crank rods to take pics even though we got em pitching jigs. Keep em guessing.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree! I have gone as far as not posting pics with the background showing or the baits/technique I was using. My dad laughs when I pull out the crank rods to take pics even though we got em pitching jigs. Keep em guessing.

Just keep hiding your Winbauer. Everyone should have one of them in the boat.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy F*$% … it’s like the same damn conversation I have to have with my kids…it’s the digital interweb…don’t post anything on there you don’t want the world to know…it’s not rocket science.
…now posting misleading information seems like a desperate cry for attention…why would you want to post something if it wasn’t truthful other than to just get attention…whatever to each there own I guess

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Along the same vein as DM's comment, I can't fathom the number of folks who like to let the world know when they're going to be or are gone. Such as, "Going on my 1st XX hunting trip the XX week of Oct/Nov", or, "Taking a winter vacation the XX week of Jan/Feb". IMO, you might just as well put up a neon sign out front that says, "Now's the time to steal my stuff."

Not that I have that many followers, but my wife gets mad if post on twitter when we are away. We do live in Ft Yates, so I understand. I have a few former students following me for wrestling updates, and they sometimes like pics of my dog or fishing pics. On twitter, if someone likes something, it can show up on all their followers timeline. I agree with her that it unwise to advertise when you are gone, especially extended periods.

We went to Sturgis a few years back and when we go home, found our house was broken in. This is before I was on twitter. Remarkable that absolutely nothing was taken. All the wires were unhooked on the TV, that's it. So when we're camping in Mobridge, I don't put it out on twitter, just play it safe.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't post videos of secret spots on public land if you don't want people looking for said secret spots lol

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
So just to be clear on what's being said, you guys are saying it would be unwise to post a pic like this on the internet and I should just keep this stuff to myself and NOT share?

nice buck.jpg

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I'm with you KDM. I have always been open to share. It is just my nature I guess. I like the camaraderie of it.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
The way I look at it if someone can tell where I am fishing from the background they have probably all ready been there.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
So just to be clear on what's being said, you guys are saying it would be unwise to post a pic like this on the internet and I should just keep this stuff to myself and NOT share?

712db986753731e0c25f808cb9d3ce9d_width-600.jpg

I will arrive bearing gifts. Blue, refreshing gifts.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member

712db986753731e0c25f808cb9d3ce9d_width-600.jpg

Fake News! Velvet in December? No way

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the way you photoshopped the PLOTS sign in there you sneaky bastard!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 104
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66