Earlier Dove Season

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Putting up fence leads to a lot of time to sort out the worlds problems like "why doesn't the dove season open earlier?" If I remember right, for a lot of ND, the average first frost is before September 15 and most of the doves head south that day or right before. That ends up with a pretty short season of it starts on September 1. Would it hurt to open it on like August 15? I'd happily sacrifice two weeks on the backend to have actual huntable days/numbers on the front end. Am I way off base here?

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not off base at all. Season dates are regulated by the Feds, as doves are a migratory species. Doves open Sept 1 from ND all the way down to Texas. I'd like to say its for streamlining regulations, but I don't know for sure why Sept. 1 is the magic date. They stagger waterfowl openers within the same flyway, seems they could do it for doves as well

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok. So if they are like waterfowl, the Feds tell the state you get X amount of days, allocate the accordingly taking into account biology, hunters' interests, etc. But if they all start Sept 1, than the guys in Texas have a gripe too because they lose hubtable days on the front end. Or are doves that spread out over the flyway?

- - - Updated - - -

Other problem solved today. The product called "new skin" should come in industrial sizes.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok. So if they are like waterfowl, the Feds tell the state you get X amount of days, allocate the accordingly taking into account biology, hunters' interests, etc. But if they all start Sept 1, than the guys in Texas have a gripe too because they lose hubtable days on the front end. Or are doves that spread out over the flyway?

- - - Updated - - -

Other problem solved today. The product called "new skin" should come in industrial sizes.

Solving problems like a boss today! Doves are very widespread, and occur at way higher densities down south. And besides the mourning, they also have white-tipped and white-winged doves to hunt. Though considered a migratory species, the birds that nest in Texas likely winter there as well. I wonder how much of the Sept. 1 opener has to do with tradition, as dove hunting in the Southern states is a huge family event for lots of hunters

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd take it even one week earlier. A guy doesn't have much time to get after them up in the north country.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
especially considering all of the other seasons encroach on that season so quickly. evenings and afternoons of an earlier dove season would compliment that early goose season very nicely. sharpies get in the way of me pursuing doves like i wish i could.

Last edited:

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The dove season dates are set by the Feds. ND can submit recommendations but in the end, it is up to the Feds.

Do you think that maybe the farming/ranching community would be against the season starting sooner for some reason?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had dove hunters rain me with pellets for one whole evening while I was in my deer stand. They were shooting over the water hole the deer were using and the doves were coming from the field I was on and going to water. Needless to say I had quite the show watching the doves fall before hearing the shots, but surprisingly, I didn't see any deer that night. Interestingly enough, I shot my velvet buck last year from the same stand 2 days later so they didn't bugger the deer very much.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
All good stuff today guys. I'm gonna make some emails/phone calls and get back to you.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had dove hunters rain me with pellets for one whole evening while I was in my deer stand. They were shooting over the water hole the deer were using and the doves were coming from the field I was on and going to water. Needless to say I had quite the show watching the doves fall before hearing the shots, but surprisingly, I didn't see any deer that night. Interestingly enough, I shot my velvet buck last year from the same stand 2 days later so they didn't bugger the deer very much.

Shotguns don't phase ND deer...

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
AZ has a early season something like 2wks in Sept. And then a late season which is mid Nov threw the end of the year. Not sure the reasoning but it shows a state may have some input. Granted doves are almost a nusance down there.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
AZ dove hunting is out of this world. Also- white wings (the bigger, better looking sibling to mourning doves) are quite fun to shoot and delicious as well.

9k=

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went on a dove hunt in Texas a few years ago and I couldn't believe what a big deal dove hunting in Texas. But I will say there dove breasts wrapped around a cream cheese filled jalapeno when wrapped in bacon and cooked over a mesquite fire were some of the best I have ever had.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I always thought they didn't have it early because of the late nesting of some of the birds. ???????

Bows 'n poles

It's because of the migratory bird treaty act, which states no hunting season for migratory birds can open prior to September 1st. We get away with geese in August because that portion is considered a 'management take' season due to them being way above population objectives, then Sept 1 it's officially a hunting season.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like they have had good reproduction around here, at least in town. Need to find a field and let the kiddos get some shooting in.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67