Single Bevel?

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been reading up on single bevel broadheads that are out there and they sound really awesome. The key difference is they keep rotating through the animal. Who uses them and/or swears by them? Are they more for Trad bows or will they work for higher pound compounds as well? Anyone know the long distance performance when compared to mechanicals? Single bevel sure can leave a wound channel.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dr. Ed Ashby. Google him. All you need to know.

I tried the DRT single bevel last year and certainly have no complaints. I shoot 72lbs at 27" and a 496 grain arrow. Haven't had to take a shot with them longer than 30 yards, but I have no complaints on accuracy. Like most fixed blades, just make sure your bow is tuned.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am curious about these as well. I believe Donnie Vincent uses or has used some of these on various hunts. Probably some videos on Facebook or other sites of him talking about them as he is asked to talk about his gear a lot online.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use single bevel Maasai broadheads by Alaska Bowhunting Supply/Grizzly Stik. The Dr. Ashby reports convinced me. Science!

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've used a single blade broad head for years. The only difference I have noticed is a well placed shot is most important. Most bows shot for big game will kill if placed in the right spot. Either double or single bevel, 2 or 3 blade, and yes I dare say razor sharp or hand filed sharp. My dad did a video back in the 80s on the energy of bows. Shooting a kids bow (25lb) with a broad head that wasn't too sharp at about 5 yards into a gallon jug of sand. I think it would have went up to the fletching if it wouldn't have hit the chair it was sitting on. My point is provided you are shooting a bow that has enough energy to penetrate the animal you are pursuing it is more important to practice and be as accurate as you can than the "type" or brand of broad head used. Remember native Americans used a piece of flint attached to a willow stick and many animals were taken. Remember practice, practice, practice.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.3riversarchery.com/schmeisser-archery-broadhead-one.html

I order most of my traditional equipment from Three Rivers. I think the single bevel is way over rated. It's like those fancy fish hooks that catch more fishermen than fish. Nothing wrong with them, but keep in mind that a single bevel has an angle 1/2 that of a double bevel. It's like those Lansky sharpeners where you choose a 20 degree angle or a 10 degree angle. If you sharpen from one side only you have a much finer edge. You can sharpen as fine an edge on a double angle, but you would never do it because it becomes evident the edge isn't as durable. I think it's a fad that will come and go. A lot of money for a lot of hype.

Espringers I had completely forgotten about some of those old single bevel broadheads. I think I may still have some. I know I have half a dozen original Bear broadheads left. I think I have at least 100 old broadheads kicking around from years ago. I shot a couple of deer with those back in the 1960's. They may rotate, but I think it's more in the imagination than actual performance. If you think about it there is no more real damage. Heck it may rotate just as it's coming to a big blood vein and rotation is causes it to miss the vein. Then you have to worry about matching the helical feathers with the head. I'm impressed, but not influenced.

Last edited:

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.3riversarchery.com/schmeisser-archery-broadhead-one.html

I order most of my traditional equipment from Three Rivers. I think the single bevel is way over rated. It's like those fancy fish hooks that catch more fishermen than fish. Nothing wrong with them, but keep in mind that a single bevel has an angle 1/2 that of a double bevel. It's like those Lansky sharpeners where you choose a 20 degree angle or a 10 degree angle. If you sharpen from one side only you have a much finer edge. You can sharpen as fine an edge on a double angle, but you would never do it because it becomes evident the edge isn't as durable. I think it's a fad that will come and go. A lot of money for a lot of hype.

Espringers I had completely forgotten about some of those old single bevel broadheads. I think I may still have some. I know I have half a dozen original Bear broadheads left. I think I have at least 100 old broadheads kicking around from years ago. I shot a couple of deer with those back in the 1960's. They may rotate, but I think it's more in the imagination than actual performance. If you think about it there is no more real damage. Heck it may rotate just as it's coming to a big blood vein and rotation is causes it to miss the vein. Then you have to worry about matching the helical feathers with the head. I'm impressed, but not influenced.
Passing fad? Ben Pearson and Howard Hill didn't think so. Ever hear of the El Grande broadhead? You should the Ashby reports. It's a really good read

Edit: I'm sure you've heard of the El Grande. Only kidding ya

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya, passing fad is the wrong description. They have been around for many years. They just never become real popular with anyone but the traditionalists. If the traditionalists switch to single bevel in a few years the companies will have some reason the double bevel is better. So then they will jack up the price and advertise a lot. What ever we have it will be the wrong thing. I can't believe the price Three Rivers wants for some of those heads. I would think it would be very simple to turn any of the Zwickey into single bevel.

Howard Hill broad heads are single bevel? I don't think the originals that he shot were single bevel. I talked with a number of archers including Fred Bear when the (I think it was Pope and Young) met in Bismarck about 40 years ago. Whatever it was Fred Bear had his full mount grizzly on display. Back when we still used film and wow was my brother pissed when his film didn't advance and I took pictures of him with Fred Bear. Anyway there was a lot of archery equipment on display and I don't remember any single bevel heads. I don't remember the brand, but I did see one back in 1960. I also remember people knocking the single bevel for having no shoulder and not standing up. I think it's like six of one and half a dozen of the other. Nothing magic. I doubt there are very few times you will see it twist in an animal like they say. In their imagination. If it did slightly would that do any good? Would it turn to hit an artery, or would it turn and miss an artery? 50/50 thing.

Kind of like those pretty fish hooks made to catch fishermen.

Edit: If it does turn in the animal it will retard penetration just like a strong helical will slow an arrow. There is required energy in that movement.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The double-beveled 160 grain Howard Hill
broadhead (blue arrow) punched a neat hole.
I thought the Howard Hill was double bevel.

One thing they don't talk about is that rotation requires energy. They say they get better penetration because the bone splits. I have hit heavy bone in deer with a 70lb bow and the bone is so shattered I worried the warden would think I had shot the deer with a 30-06 or like caliber. I have had one pass through on the spinal column. I read the article, but think it's a lot of hype. I understand slicing meat with a single bevel. I don't know what the heck it was used for, but I had a single bevel hatchet I picked up at an auction. No one ever could tell me what it was used for. Those heads certainly are not worth the price they ask for them. Hmmmm therein lies the answer for all the hype I think. I remember all the hype that came with the 2 inch wide Anderson Magnum heads. I tried them. They wind planed so bad you would think they had a pilot on board. I shot at the chest area of a deer I could see between two trees. At 20 yards it wind planed so bad I missed the chest, the trees, and split his nose. Big split that was visible all that fall.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would love to see some ballistic gelatin slo-mo and photos - using the same make/model of broadheads beveled differently.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shot a doe Friday night for one of the heard reduction program. I used a single bevel and let me tell you the blood trail and carnage was incredible. Double lung shot, complete pass through and red carpet treatment.

I can't say that I had the L shaped cut that Dr Ashby spoke of, but what I can say is, it appeared that the wound was spread farther apart. In the past when I have used a broad head with razor blades, it seems like the cut is so fine that at times the fatty and soft tissues can almost close the wound back up. The DRT single bevel that I used this weekend seemed to spread the wound open. I continue to be impressed by this head. Also, the head was in perfect shape when I recovered the arrow and still very sharp.

Last edited:

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually gut and process my deer before pouring a jar of salsa on it. ;:;rofl but to each their own...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75