Wolverine?

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Working nights this week and two nights in a row on my way home at 2 a.m. I saw a critter cross the road in front of me in the same area and I for the life of me can not place it as anything else but a wolverine but have my doubts that I would see one on the prairie on the Oliver Morton county line area.:confused: First night it was running into a farmers yard second night was about a mile further down the road.

Been googling critters that could be similar and I keep coming back to a wolverine which just boggles my mind.

Thoughts on this or if it would be possible?

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please provide your best hand drawn rendering of what this furry critter looked like.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Please provide your best hand drawn rendering of what this furry critter looked like.

how-to-draw-Angry-Wolverine-step-0.png

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw a fisher one night under an interstate underpass, just north of Mandan. It was either a fisher, or velociraptor.

All kidding aside, I was surprised at it's size. Big bastid.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
A fisher would definitely be the critter I saw, its size is what surprised me too. This picture matches exactly with what I saw.
Thanks Guys! I still never would have guessed to see one of these in this area, I think of them as a forest area type critter not the northern plains lol.

fisher7.jpg

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I posted about a fisher down here in se nd this spring. Game Warden said they tend to follow the rivers and the Sheyenne is just north of me by about 10 miles with the government pasture in between.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw mine about 8-9 miles straight south of Center or about 2-3 miles north of the Oliver Morton county line.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishers are MEAN MEAN MEAN critters. Snared two that I had to release. One was with a partner and that male fisher wanted BOTH OF US on a plate. No fear in them things that I could tell. The female I had to release alone and just pinned down her head with a tree branch, cut the cable, and ran like a school girl. Didn't look back neither. Went back the next day to remake the set. Cool to see'em, though handling them is another matter.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe that's what spooked my horses about a month ago and made them run through the pasture fence. I live about 5 miles from where you saw the critter. I just assumed it was another mountain lion because we have had them pass through the development before and I lost my stallion when he tried to jump the gate in his pen and then flipped over it and broke his neck. I know that was a lion because we found tracks in a mud puddle on the driveway. Haven't heard of any lion sightings recently so I wasn't sure what happened to the horses this time but a fisher would have been just strange enough to panic them. No way of knowing for sure though.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw a Fischer last week around 6am by the coal plant north of Beulah. Surprised how big they get.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
two years ago I am pretty sure to positive I seen 2 fishers in Oliver county and that same year took a trapping and furbearers class at the G&F and talked to Stephanie Tucker NDGF furbearers biologist and she told me they had at that time never had a confirmed sitings of any Fishers west of the Missouri. I have seen one in the wild when Muskie fishing in Canada and this guy showed up for a picture, they are a cool looking critter. eagle lake 055.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76