Shorelander wires

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Break signal light out. I traced it to wire from mid section to light. Sob it has two spots where running lights Branch out cyclops and lights near steps. Anybody try to fix and ideas.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a brand new Shoreland'r trailer that has issues. It blinks constantly on the running lights.

I figure it will be at least as easy to figure out as a post from you.

Amongst other things, cyclops?

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
After several similar issues I rewired the whole Damon thing. Wasn't to hard. If I remember correctly the running lights went to the wheel well then then tail lights on one side and then wheel well tail light and then the under lights on the other side.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
F'n around inside steel tubes with zero access to find a cracked wire housing is NO FUN!!!! Tried to use a plumbers fiber camera at one point. We finally just disconnected all the lights and rewired the whole dabbin thing. We got ours back in 97 so I guess they haven't solved THAT little problem yet. Good Luck!!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
The boat I got from my grandpa was in great shape, but the trailer is covered in rust. Seems like 99 percent of wiring problems on trailer is due to rusting and the ground. So I cheated and ran a ground wire from the tail light all the way up to the tongue. Spliced all three together and boom -- no more flicker lights or weird wiring issues.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Start @ the back. Use old wires to pull/string the new wires. Do yourself a huge favor and get an LED re-wire kit if your trailer isn't LED lamps already.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The boat I got from my grandpa was in great shape, but the trailer is covered in rust. Seems like 99 percent of wiring problems on trailer is due to rusting and the ground. So I cheated and ran a ground wire from the tail light all the way up to the tongue. Spliced all three together and boom -- no more flicker lights or weird wiring issues.

yep - the idea of using the trailer itself for ground is a PITA - almost always have issues with the wire-to-trailer grounding screw being rusted or otherwise not conductive

On old trailers I too just threw up my hands and pulled some ground wires - got tired of terminals losing contact with the trailer due to corrosion

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
1. the lights are led -- lights work - i tested them
2. the plug at the y of the trailer - tested has power
3. running lights work
4. right break/signal is the culprit -- per my research the wires rub against the trailer and wear through.
5. The green wire has done that -- where is the question and how to pull the wires though -- do i tie one at the y and pull out through the back.
6. cyclops is the light in the middle of the trailer at the back it is rigged to the right side, same with the light at the wheel well and i have one more. those running lights appear to have quite a bit of wire on them. Can i pull everything back to a point and see if i can see the damage. Or do i unhook those and tie a wire to those too.
7. Ground -- shorelander has a seperate white ground running on each light -the ground isnt the problem.

MY q is where to pull the wire out -- i know of a connector at the light and at the Y what other connectors does it have? The trailer is a single ax -- its a 2011 (this shouldnt be happening) and holds about 3100lbs.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Round 7 or flat 4/5? Have you checked the pickup and boat plug for corrosion? My right-rear running light connector blade needs a little squirt of weasel piss now and then to clean up the connection. Brake and blinker work fine, running light no-worky when it's dirty/corroded.

LED = No need for new kit.

Find one of these the proper length to get from the cyclops to the tail-light (they might already look like this, in which case just replace the worn section of wire):

flat 2.jpg

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had three shoreland'r trailers. The best thing you can do is rewire them from the day you buy them new lol. The wiring is an absolute joke.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
scotch locks suck and all trailer mfg use them. best thing to do is rewire and solder all connections and shrink wrap.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last night I used my favorite trick in working on electrical shit. I looked at it in the dark and started wiggling wires. It didn't take but 30 seconds to see the sparks where Shoreland'r pinched the running light wire in the frame to suspension area. dipshits

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
What SD and other said,rewire complete harness it'll save ya brain damage and eassy to do and replace tail lights with led's

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67