Standing Rock Elk

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn't realize there was a huntable elk population there...

[h=3]Aug. 15, 2017[/h][h=3]State, Standing Rock Sioux Tribe Collaborate on Elk Season[/h]
Gov. Doug Burgum and Standing Rock Sioux Chairman Dave Archambault II have signed a Memorandum of Understanding that directs state and tribal authorities on regulating an elk hunting season within the Standing Rock Reservation.
The North Dakota Game and Fish Department and Standing Rock Game, Fish and Wildlife Department developed the MOU to facilitate coordination of elk management and law enforcement efforts relating to each other’s authority within the boundaries of the reservation.
“This new elk season is the right thing for landowners, tribal members, wildlife and North Dakota hunting enthusiasts,” Gov. Doug Burgum said. “It also serves as a great example of how through collaboration and dialogue we can achieve better outcomes for all.”
The MOU establishes elk hunting unit E6, and emphasizes the coordination between Standing Rock Game, Fish and Wildlife Department, private landowners and the North Dakota Game and Fish Department. Through this coordination, the goals are to responsibly manage elk within this area, maximize recreational opportunities for all licensed hunters, and reduce impacts to crops and feed supplies on private lands.
“This is a good example of collaborating for the benefit of the land, wildlife and tribal members. Rather than having two different seasons on fee land and tribal land, this establishes a single season that’s consistent for all hunters,” Archambault II said, adding it could lead to future collaboration on other hunting seasons.
“This is an important day,” said Terry Steinwand, North Dakota Game and Fish Department director. “The MOU is the first official collaborative management of the wildlife resource in North Dakota between the state and Standing Rock Tribe.”
Burgum and Archambault signed the MOU during a meeting of the Standing Rock Tribal Council in Fort Yates, where the governor and Lt. Gov. Brent Sanford heard about challenges facing the tribe and discussed additional opportunities for collaboration between the state and tribe.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are elk on SR, but the herd is remnants of an old elk operation that one day just opened the gates and folded. Last year they had a lottery (rigged btw) for enrolled members and auctioned off one other bull tag. I've offend wondered about the viability regarding the genetics of this herd due to inbreeding. Its been around 20 years since they've been roaming free.

Nmariner

Established Member
I was shown pictures of a really big bull shot down there a few years ago. I forget the details, but it was at deer camp over beer with pictures so it had to be real...

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
some big bull running around here, two herds that mainly run from Froelich dam to the state line. good luck

701spot&stalk

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are elk on SR, but the herd is remnants of an old elk operation that one day just opened the gates and folded. Last year they had a lottery (rigged btw) for enrolled members and auctioned off one other bull tag. I've offend wondered about the viability regarding the genetics of this herd due to inbreeding. Its been around 20 years since they've been roaming free.

hmmm dont rremember a private operation folding back then. do you happen to knows whos it was????? and yes i would definitely say the herd suffers of inbreeding. would be nice to see some new genes brought in.

i would say the herds gonna get thinned a little this yr with what look to me to be around 23 tags being handed out between the tribe and state. then again if reproduction is good maybe not..

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67