back country camping

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got the lite outdoors sxl stove last night and had to set it up right away like a kid a christmas. This is going to make this years trip to Idaho great other than feet of snow we should be able to handle any weather. Should increase the time hunting by a fair amount with cutting out having to travel an hour plus each day. Being able to stay in the area and hopefully hear the late night bugles and giving a little location is also another reason we made the decision that we need to stay out in the field.

s1.jpgs2.jpgs3.jpg

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks good. We're doing the same thing this year in Idaho, though it will be mid-late September archery, so hopefully no need for the stove.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
For got to say the shelter is a seek out side cimarron. Looking at the area we will be in the lows are in the high 30's already and if it is wet like last year just being able to dry out is what really convinced us the extra weight will be worth it. I know the last week of september last year they got about 8 inches of snow. Have you been out there before it is some great country

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks sweet. Cutting out an hour of travel time will be HUUUUUUUUUGE.

I got the 6 man tipi a couple years ago and it works well. Thought about the Cimarron as well. Is that thing about 5 feet tall or so in the peak?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
right at 6 but i added guy outs to help ventilation so i can set it a bit higher and that adds alot of room on the inside

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you can kind of stand up to put pants on?

Looks like it should do the trick.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
american inn.jpg

I got a muley tag this year ---- here is my view from my camp in November.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you can kind of stand up to put pants on?

Looks like it should do the trick.

Ya that is one of the reasons i went with it was having a little more head room i think being able to stand up will be a nice convenience.

pic1.jpg

i get to stay in plenty of hotels with the kids sports.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I NEED this. I just haven't been able to drop the coin yet.

We backpack in during November and it gets damn cold.

Im jealous

- - - Updated - - -

pic1.jpg

Literally most of the fun of mule deer hunting for me is camping. I go to Montana every year with buddies and we either pack in or tent by pickup. We hardly ever shoot anything but it is always a blast. I hate being in a pickup on the road. I walk back to my tent and start a fire.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am a running water, firm mattress, and flushing toilet kind of guy. I also like mrs johnr close to a kitchen, or at least a restaurant. It does look like a nice set up though.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have done the camping hunting thing in the badlands every year when i was a little kid on up. Same with the rooty thing. plus many times on the mo river early in the spring /late fall----- 32 degree showers, eating nuttin but deer crank, nothing more awesome is to wake up step outside and see a butte with full moon lighting er up. Then i got older and now the lack of sleep, the cold to hot, rain and wet snow thing -- my efficiency and enjoy factor went down -- especially in November and later hunts. So i envy you boys that can still do er --its fun----- Looks like a nice warm stove Kurt -------good luck and she should be a good hunt.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
We were out there in 2015. Sucked spending 2 hours every morning and 2 hours every night going up and down.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I camped like Kurt in the late 1980's early 1990's, but today I am more with Shorthairs and Johnr. I did buy an insulated 1600 magnum Clam and think I will take it after a wolf in Montana this fall.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have done a test run of my sleep system which is a tyvek ground cloth with the kylmit static v lux insulated sleeping pad and a outdoors vital 0 degree bag. i used that in the hills a few weeks back and slept like a baby

- - - Updated - - -

had to sleep with bag fully un zipped to stay cool it was high 40's that night

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many days are you going in and whats your full pack weight?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
7 days maybe 8 the pack is about 64 pounds with food and 2 liters of water. that includes my rifle which is 13 pounds. Using a kifaru hunter frame with the reckoning bag and guide lid

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anybody have the type of sinus that can go from a warm during the day of say 55 degrees to about 12 degrees without waking up in the morning feeling like $hit.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
that is me taking everything my self but me and the guy i am going with are going to sit down and really refine the list. I was bored and threw every in the pack i can cut 5 pounds but i would rather be comfortable than not up there. I have trained to carry the weight

- - - Updated - - -

Does anybody have the type of sinus that can go from a warm during the day of say 55 degrees to about 12 degrees without waking up in the morning feeling like $hit.

that does not bother me.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of elevation are you guys going to be at? We will be roughly 8500-9400. Plan on going up for 3-4 days come down for one and back up for another 3-4, depending on the number of elk we see/hear. My Exo 3500, 2 liters and 4 days food is roughly 40. Might be a bit heavier than some but I like comfort too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70