Toyota Tacomas

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok - here's the deal. I've almost always had a diesel pickup to pull the toys around - camper, boat, skid steer, whatever and just seen the replacement for my vehicle is nearly 85k. This is crazy, so I'm thinking of adding a run around car/pickup that would work for quick badlands trips, run to town, work in attempt to avoid having to replace my bigger vehicle as frequently.

I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on these cute little pickups - good, bad, or ugly? They sure look sporty, maintain crazy values used, and seem to have a cult like following online....

i hate vehicle shopping!! Appreciate the input everyone

LITREOFCOLA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out recalls, they just had a pretty major one dealing with subpar undercoating. I was considering buying one awhile back, make sure it has the factory tow package. I know someone that owns one, he likes it.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
my wife had a 09 Tacoma sport long box she put 100k on with 0 issues. we sold it outright and had no problem getting above book for it. I have repaired the frames on a few 97 through 01 where they rusted through between the rear leaf spring mounts. she also had a few 4 runners 96 through 02 with 0 issues. I think there have been a few frame recalls.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bought a 2011 Tacoma new...kept for 3 years-zero problems. V6 4.0 motors very good...got 22-24 mpg on the highway. Only reason I got rid of it was because I decided I needed a full size truck. Traded in on a new F-150 in 2014. Eide Ford in Bismarck gave me $24.5K for trade...I only paid $30.6K. No complaints at all about the Tacoma...the wife and I talked about getting one for her in the future...good little trucks.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll keep it simple for you

1. Buy your wife an SUV of her choosing, as your family will benefit from the added convenience and you may benefit from her happiness
2. Unless you plan on fishing off the rocks with the hmongs or having a discussion with whipper about whose pencil-dicked rice burner is better, buy a ford.

Both of the above examples will make for a happier, less regrettable life.

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had 2 tacomas - a '08 and a '11. I loved them both. They are not great on gas mileage, but they had a ton of power and you could drive them anywhere. Now that I have 2 school-age kids, I needed a bigger back seat. Otherwise, I would still have them.

They maintain their value so much that you can lease them and actually have enough equity in the truck after 3 years that you just roll into a new one with $0 down.

Flannel

Known a few people with Tacomas and they have all enjoyed them! Toyota vehicles are used until they die that is for sure. I'm a big fan of Ford Rangers for a smaller pick up but then you're giving up the luxury of four doors.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own a 2017 which I bought last September. I purchased it because I had owned an 07 and wished I had never got rid of it. Now on to the new one. I have 8000 miles on it and liking it more everyday. In the beginning I wasn't so sure as the new motor has more hp but less torque. I have lift and larger tires and a topper so it's not stock but the new engine tranny combo shifts more but you get used to it. With all the extras on mine I run 17-18 mpg. These trucks go just about anywhere. The new ones have way more options than the older ones which Toyota has never been famous for but resale is still just crazy. We recently took it to the hills with myself, wife, and 3 kids and was just fine and no complaining from the back seat.

cavedude

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a 2000 Tacoma extended cab V6. I upgraded to an 06 Tundra while my brother owns the Tacoma. I plan on buying it back maybe around 180k. If I were you I would try to find a 02-04 Tacoma crew cab with the TRD package because they have the rear locking differential, good mileage, and little to no mechanical issues.
If you are looking to buy new then I would suggest shopping neighboring states. We bought my wife a new 15' 4runner and while Minot was able to locate the exact vehicle in Duluth MN, they would not budge on the $2,500 difference. We called Kohler Toyota out of Duluth, requested the vehicle, then drove there the following weekend. Great people and a fun fall trip.

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive looked at some of these mid-sized pick-ups myself and i always come to the same conclusion. You can get a half-ton with more power, more towing, bigger box, more cabin space, more comfort , similar gas mileage for the same price or possibly even less because there are so many more to choose from.

I'm not saying the new Tacoma's, Canyon's, Colorado's aren't cool, because they are. I just think there is a lot more value in a half-ton. It all depends on your hobbies etc though too.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in the same boat bfishn. Friend of mine bought a brand new colorado for $54K. blew my mind.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in the same boat bfishn. Friend of mine bought a brand new colorado for $54K. blew my mind.
Yikes! I bought a brand new holdover 2015 Sierra SLE Z71 doublecab in the exact color/wheels i wanted from Minot Ryan for $32,500 in spring of 2016.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Momma bought a 4runr --- and its amazing how she can now back the boat like a champ vs. my p/u. I would of thought the mirror issue would be problem. - nope --- she now is the official driver at the ramp and the garage. Plus you dont even notice it on the back.

The kicker is that she will take on any 1/2 pickup in 4WD running though the snow, mud.......

- - - Updated - - -

Now if she can only take over the driving of the boat ---- well lets just say honey --- put a 30 pack in the cooler ;:;boozer

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive looked at some of these mid-sized pick-ups myself and i always come to the same conclusion. You can get a half-ton with more power, more towing, bigger box, more cabin space, more comfort , similar gas mileage for the same price or possibly even less because there are so many more to choose from.

I'm not saying the new Tacoma's, Canyon's, Colorado's aren't cool, because they are. I just think there is a lot more value in a half-ton. It all depends on your hobbies etc though too.

This^^^^^^, The only advantage I see of having a mid sized pick up is the smaller wheel base/footprint if you live in a city that has idiot engineer designing parking lots, smaller makes it easier to around is about it. And is seems you only gain 1-2 mpg but lose power torque and room.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
my wife had a 09 Tacoma sport long box she put 100k on with 0 issues. we sold it outright and had no problem getting above book for it. I have repaired the frames on a few 97 through 01 where they rusted through between the rear leaf spring mounts. she also had a few 4 runners 96 through 02 with 0 issues. I think there have been a few frame recalls.

My wife has a 2004 4Runner, with zero issues, and we're thinking of trading it for something more car-like for her. I would not hesitate though, to buy another one, or a Tacoma (nearly same thing, back then).

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm just going to point out that there are a lot of "my wife drives" in this thread.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
The mid-size pick-up market has always been lucrative due to the fact that it is generally based off of a want rather than a need. When Dodge Dakota’s came out with their V8 in the midsize the market really took off and never looked back…
If you need a truck you go with ½ ton or ¾ ton … but many who want a truck look at the mid-size generally reserved for 20 year olds or 50+ year olds either you don’t have kids yet , or they have left the nest, nothing wrong with this but that’s just how it goes. The manufactures know this and mark the hell out of these “niche” vehicles
However a mid-size truck isn’t a bad horrible investment being that they do hold their value better than most other vehicles. Basically, bottom line is if you want one and can afford one then get one…

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy has a Tacoma. Seems to do everything he wants, it pulls an identical boat to mine, gets him where he wants to go for hunting, etc. Me, being a little larger of a guy, don't really like riding with him in the winter. That front seat seems a little small when I'm dressed for -40 temps and we're armed. That being said, he's on his second or third Toyota mid-sized pickup now and he's never said anything bad about it.

For the money though, I too would go with an F150. You can get some pretty good deals on them right now.

And while there's a lot of "my wife drives" on the thread, I too have a 2015 4Runner to complement my F250. Because, well...just screw you Eric! I'm a manly man damnit!

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes you could buy a 1/2 ton Chevy or ford for the same price but I'd take my Tacoma all day when hunting yotes in the winter cuz it just plain gets where the ford wouldn't and when I'm done mine is still worth a bunch more than it should be!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Owned both...will never go back to the mid size...just my personal preference. But when you are talking comparable prices...give me the greater hp/towing/cab/box any day...just my take.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 136
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77