Dog Conditioning

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Fellas, just a reminder to NOT forget about your canine hunting partners when it comes to getting in shape for the season. Grouse and Partridge seasons are only a month or so away and Doves are right around the corner. I've been taking Herc out the last few days for 2 mile walks on section lines and I can tell we are BOTH NOT READY to chase any of those birds yet, let alone chase those running roosters. Bring lots of water for both of you as Herc and I go through anywhere from 3-6 bottles per walk. Take care of your hunting partners so they can take care of you. Be Safe!!!!

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
any recommendations on making a dog fat and lazy so I can keep up with him? lol#$%^&>

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Physical training and skills training happens year round for me. Labs get real fat real quick otherwise

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
My buddy is physically good, but toughening the pads needs to be done. Nothing worse than having them blow a pad in the field.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guy comes with on all the hikes getting ready for out west. He is ready to go. Little dummy training tonight and just excited at 8 as he was when he was a pup.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I take my 2 year old lab on bike rides when it's not too hot out, we don't go very far but we move pretty fast. Weekends he swims and runs around at the lake all weekend.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even though GWPs are a lean breed, they can get lazy like any dog. I've found that the best way to exercise them is regular training, mixed with runs a few times a week. Training is a given, and the runs keep us all in shape.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I make my daily goal to get my dog to stop running. She's good to go. It's myself that needs some better discipline. Treadmill and stair climber are only doing so much.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
This will be the first hunting season in over a decade that my favorite hunting pal will not be able to partake in chasing feathered critters. The arthritis in my labs hips has become terrible and he just won’t be able to hunt this year and has been officially retired to a house dog. Just plain sucks as he still has the spirit, but his body just won’t be able to take it. Going to be tough when he sees the gun and can’t come with. My favorite part about bird hunting is watching and working with the dog. Sigh…:(
Glacier 2017 183.jpg

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
This will be the first hunting season in over a decade that my favorite hunting pal will not be able to partake in chasing feathered critters. The arthritis in my labs hips has become terrible and he just won’t be able to hunt this year and has been officially retired to a house dog. Just plain sucks as he still has the spirit, but his body just won’t be able to take it. Going to be tough when he sees the gun and can’t come with. My favorite part about bird hunting is watching and working with the dog. Sigh…:(
IMG_20180412_095901135.jpg

I hear ya on that first time in 12 years winston wont be with on opening day. He will be chasing the fields full of roosters up in heaven
IMG_20160605_180955112.jpg

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah my 12 yr old black lab won't be doing much this year either. It's gonna kill him and me but his shoulders are getting too bad. :(

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lost my dog Whitney this winter. She started hunting at 11 months and worked her heart out for me for 15 years. Felt so bad that she couldn't go when she was 16 so maybe it was best she didn't last much past that season. She wasn't a house dog and she was lost that last year with nothing to look forward to. Where ever she is now she's got a rooster in her mouth and she's looking for me.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I take my griffons swimming pretty much every day or at least every other they stay in good shape but me on the other hand could use a little conditioning lol but that's why I got pointers they wait for me

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
we have had some nice dog condition weather. Last night was awesome. She only panted for a few minutes following a bike ride. Nice cool n wind.

Keep in mind though it is still august --- my brother did burn out his dogs kidneys and she died following an excercise. Generally I like to take the hose before real cold water comes out - and soak the stomach, kidney area and around her neck and chest after a long ride.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 57