Caliper vs Hook Style Release

slippery

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been shooting a caliper release for years just moved to the hook style, I feel I have better grouping at 40-70 yards. Could be the placebo effect too I guess......

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they give a cleaner break, also resulting in less torque. My brother just got a Spot-Hogg Wiseguy and he says his groups have really tightened up at longer ranges.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to a handheld and don't look back. ::: I used to shoot a Scott Rhino before I made the switch to a handheld. Loved it. Was nice to not have look down when trying to connect to the D loop. Like others have mentioned, I felt it had a cleaner break.

I made the switch to hand held a few years ago, and my release I use for 3D tourneys has the hook style, and I notice it is more accurate.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
In another ten years they will go back to caliper and tell us why it's better. Marketing. When they came out with calipers they explained why it eliminated tork. Shoot what feels best to you. They all release so easily the tork is insignificant, but it sells.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
no flipping way is the caliper or j hook mechanism able to put enough torque on a d-loop to affect flight.

Take a look at the mechanics of what's going on and imagine the ability of that little device to whip the d-loop off to one side or the other enough to matter to the mass/angle/velocity that is the bow/string/arrow

Sure - there's got to be SOME - but even that little bit is quite consistent - so it gets factored in by sight adjustment even if it has some 1/4" impact at 50 yds you could measure.

J hooks look simpler/faster to engage and maybe less wear/tear to me but I shoot a 10 yr old Tru-Fire caliper and absolutely love it.

I guess this would matter for world class target shooting (x counts) but I would think most of the observable impact on the effect on accuracy is all in the archer's head

not that what's in your head doesn't matter - it's a lot like golf

ask Tiger Woods about what goes on in the head

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
thumb-release-front.jpg

If torque mattered on a D loop no one would shoot a thumb release. Look at all that twist bah gawd!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got back on my phone and the text popped up as if I forgot to post. I hit post and then noticed it did post the first time. This never happens on the computer, but these darn phones makes a guy look stupid sometimes

Last edited:

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
haha. I'm actually not kidding. Spent 10 years in the golf industry and have been a PGA member since 2009. I can actually help you, one of the very few areas I have some expertise in.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
haha. I'm actually not kidding. Spent 10 years in the golf industry and have been a PGA member since 2009. I can actually help you, one of the very few areas I have some expertise in.

I know you are no slump. Think I saw that in the "why your handle name" thread.

Your talents would be wasted on this old hacker - trust me.

I was ribbing chaser - by trying to hint that there's more than one successful "grip" in various sports.

- - - Updated - - -

#guyishappywithbogey

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i will agree dudley has some good info but he is also trying to sell his products and the products people sponsor him with... not saying they are bad products he seems to do very well with them and can shoot very long distances accurately... IMO the guy from stan's picture was doing more than just torquing his string wrong with his release, he also has too much face pressure... but if he consistently does that every time he will shoot accurately... so as was mentioned shoot what feels comfortable but you have to remember to be able to repeat what you do every time... as for what release, i shoot the scott little goose, also have the mongoose and micro goose... all 3 are very similar caliper release, only 1 side moves on them all, little goose springs open, mongoose springs closed, and micro is just like the little goose except its on a strap instead of a post... I have shot thumb releases and did not care for them, I would like to get one of dudleys back tension releases and try it but the price keeps holding me back (because it is not fishing gear and I have priorities)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74