Badlands report

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A little late, as this is a report from last Saturday-Monday. We hunted down by Grassy Butte and with my wife 6 months pregnant, I was basically there to help her get a deer. She was able to get 2 really good stalks in, but couldn't close the deal, same buck a nice 3x3, once on Sunday and once on Monday.
First stalk she ended up at 30 yards, but couldn't get a shot as the buck was bedded too far behind a cedar. She got busted as she tried to move laterally for a shot.
Second stalk we had some miscommunication, we were looking at different lines and thought we were on the same page. I was able to get her back on track with some hand signals, but she assumed she was going to end up above the buck. She was able to get within 10 yards, but lost track of where she was and was paying attention to below her, not slightly above her. If she would have looked up slightly I think she could have killed him at 10-15 yards.

Overall we saw 2 really nice mulies and only a handful were hard horned. Evenings were terrible and there were a ton of other hunters in the area. We were basically done and back to the truck by 1-2:00 every day to escape the heat. Kudos to my wife for being a trooper. We moved slow and she did great despite the terrain and heat.

I plan on going back down next weekend, probably a solo endeavor.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
A ton of other hunters is an understatement....

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Another report from last weekend.
Went down Friday evening and hunted all day Saturday and half day Sunday. Just myself this time.
Saturday after all the rain, the deer were still holed up and bedded down by sunrise. Didn't see any moving around the first 1.5hrs of glassing, so started walking. Checked a spot over a ridge and didn't see anything, but then as I got further down the ridge I saw a decent buck staring at me, tucked way up under a cedar. Ended up being a bachelor group of 3 with one really nice one in it. They took off, I sat down right away and after 20 minutes was able to catch them sneaking over another ridge half a mile away. I made it over to the ridge pretty quickly, but never saw them again.
Midday I went to a new spot and got really lucky to catch another bachelor group up on their feet moving beds. It started raining again and they moved into some thick stuff. Almost impossible to get close in the thick stuff, let alone see them once I was in, but with the rain and wet ground I gave it a go. Got to within 40 yards and just couldn't see them. After 10 minutes of glassing bushes and cedars 20-40 yards away, they finally stood up and took off. I didn't chase them at all. There was only a few hours of daylight left but I was soaked and cold so I called it a day. Driving around towards dark after the rain stopped, the deer were really moving.
Sunday morning the fog was crazy thick and didn't lift until 9-930am. Saw a few does and a couple yearling bucks, but no big ones. Walked a bit and checked a few spots but never did see a decent buck. Probably would have been a good day if the fog wasn't there.
Probably the last time I go hunt down there during or after a bigger rain. The idea sounded good beforehand, with the rain quieting the dry grasses. Hoping to give it another try in a few weeks.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for tearing up all the roads bud! ::: not saying you were the only one driving around there after the rain, just noticed this week that everything is rutted up.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Probably wasn't me, download.jpg as this is my everyday hunting vehicle.....you can tell where I hunt because the roads are so nice everywhere I go.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe you need to get permission to grade these awesome western roads. Cause I can't imagine people think they could get worse yet crave for some broke back time

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66