Crazy true fishing story, with proof

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alright, crazy fishing story with proof. I wouldn't believe this story either so I don't blame you guys.
Last night was out catfishing with the wife and a coworker when I get what looks to be a hit on my rod, so I start fighting a big fish, same time a paddlefish starts jumping. Well I get to my hook to find I hooked another hook with line still going to the water. I set my rod down and started pulling the line in by hand, and there was something heavy on the other end, after a few minutes of hand lining I see the paddlefish with a kids fishing pole wrapped around it. I got him up to the rocks where he finally snapped the line on the kids pole.
I'm left just laughing, holding a kids rod and looking into the river wondering how that just happened.
Oh, if you ever have a chance to hand line a paddlefish. Pass. It's not easy lol

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
FB_IMG_1505017027944.jpg I'll have to figure out how to load the video
The video has me hand lining at the rocks and the fish breaking off

- - - Updated - - -

here we go

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
A guy can buy catfish fillets. You can't buy catching another rod and hand-lining in a paddlefish. Very cool thing to have on video.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wild caught cats from cold water beat the hell out of farm raised cats from some warm pond.
But ya. That's by far the craziest thing I've seen or done fishing, and to find out the guy fishing with me caught it on video was awesome

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great encounter and video!

Paddles swim along with their mouth wide open to filter feed. I've accidentally caught one on a little floating jig with a half a crawler. Babe Winkelman style, right in the corner of its mouth. Granted, it took me damn near an hour to land her to the side of the boat. She was all of a hundred pounds and I used my electric motor to chase her back and forth across the Missouri up by Hoge Island. She got released after I marked how long she was on the side of the boat. Absolute beast!

I've also caught them while fishing eddy's near Bismarck in the spring. They come in to hide from the current and whammo, they run into your line. About 12 years ago my ex and I had around six encounters with a paddlefish in one afternoon. For a few years I caught one or two each year on a crank as well (foul hooked).

Personally, I think they are one of the coolest fish out there and they make my day every time I catch one!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74