Tundra Owners

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Recently bought a 2014 Tundra SR5 Crewmax to replace the ole GMC. So far, I've been very happy with the vehicle. Then again, it's been less than three weeks. It seems I have developed a "clunk" every time I turn left or right, but more so on slow left turns. After scouring the internet over a lunch hour, it seems to be a pretty common problem resulting from either a loose bolt on a control arm or sway bar. I have a lifetime drivetrain warranty from Schwan but want to know if there's an easy fix. So, if any of you gentleman with tundra's have had the same issue, feel free to let me know.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sounds like a strut or bearing issue. With that warranty i'd take it in regardless and i'd show them a little displeasure that a vehicle you bought three weeks ago is already having an issue. I'm on my second Tundra, first was an '08 double cab that I sold when I had my second kid and now i'm on a '17 crewmax. I never had an issue with either truck so far. I don't get the fuel economy like some of these newer 1/2 ton trucks are advertising, but I didn't buy a pickup for fuel economy either.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
54K on it. Now to find the time to get over to schwan. The salesman is a good friend so I'm sure I won't get hosed. Just a matter of them knowing what to do on a tundra.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Upgraded from my GM to a '14 SR5 double cab as well over the summer. Love the new truck. Got tired of the nickel and dime up to 165k on the chevy. Hope the Tundra outlasts the last one. Time will tell. I can tell you one thing, its nice to be driving a "truck" again. New chevy's are like buicks.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't say I've had anything like that one either of my crewmax's, one was the '11 and one a '13, not sure if there was a change with 14 when everything else kinda did?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Schwan offers a lifetime warranty on a non-GM vehicle?

As far as the clunk when turning? I've known a few Toy owners that have had similar issues, but don't know offhand what the fix ended up being. Probably more annoying than actually a problem, I know one had it for years.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kermit-The-Frog-Memes-Thats-None-Of-My-Business-Tho-What-The-Vogue-679x350.png

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
how is the body on the tundra? This summer I bought a '14 silverado. Had only 8k miles. Super nice pickup but...comes with 4 ply tires and the body is junk. The sheet metal spread so thin that any little bump will dent it.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
how is the body on the tundra? This summer I bought a '14 silverado. Had only 8k miles. Super nice pickup but...comes with 4 ply tires and the body is junk. The sheet metal spread so thin that any little bump will dent it.

Definitely sounds thinner than my sierra did. But, it is what it is. You're not going to find trucks like yesteryear. Shedding weight gives them more towing capacity, which looks great on paper.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the less weight it does get very good mileage as well. 22-23 while cruise set at 70. They are now 6 speeds and has about 60 more horse than my '11. Pulls my boat like a champ. So give and take I guess.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't get nearly that for fuel mileage. The one downfall. But I can camp in the back seat.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
On my '08 the best I ever got was 19 going 68. On my '17 the best I've gotten is my current tank at 18 going 65-70, but she's not fully broken in yet at 6500 miles. Like @DirtyMike says, I can camp in my back seat and the kids have so much space I can hardly reach them in the back. It also came with a 38 gallon fuel tank, which some people don't like.... but I LOVE!

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can attest to the Tundras as far as their duability. I had an 06 with the smaller V8 in it. It wasn't very good on mileage but I also had no less then 400-800lbs worth of tools in the back. I ended up putting 275k on that truck from 07 to 2012. But the company I worked for changed fluids consistantly on it. I mean everything was scheduled but man did that truck last. When they finally decided to sell it we did find something wrong in the rear end. From what I can remember it was a bearing going bad. I am not gonna lie we made these trucks work harder then they should have. We put airbags in for extra support for the size of trailers we pulled around for turbine overhauls. Hauled lots of oil barrels and tools from jobsite to jobsite on a lot of gravel. I got nothing but love for the tundra line but I do own a ford. Good luck getting any mileage out of your truck. Didnt happen on the old ones and probably won't happen on the new ones.

Robert-Ackerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2010 Crewmax, 5.7 liter, 6 spd. trans. No mileage for as far as gas goes. Flexfuel truck and if your bored fill up with E-85 and see how many trips you make to the station! Fought with service manager about mileage that it was to make better only to be told it was our gas we have up here in North Dakota. Well I took a trip to Colorado (Elk Hunt) and it jumped from 11 - 13 mpg to 20 - 23 while in the high country. I stopped at Dickinson filled and drove like grandma back to Bismarck only to watch my mileage go straight to H-E-Double heck!! I've made several trips since to Colorado with this truck only to have the same results. Gas in North Dakota SUCKS! Oh and cost more here!

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with Robert, our gas has to be poor Quality here. I put on 3000 miles last year with my 2016 Tundra going to Glacier then up into Canada, I got 15 to 16 mpg in North Dakota Filled in Miles City and my MPG went to 19. The rest of our trip in Glacier averaged 19. We filled in Pincher Creek Canada the drove to Yellow Stone and got 20 MPG. This was all calculated at the pump, I checked my calculator a couple of times I just couldn't believe the Milage I was getting. Got back to North Dakota and it's been down ever since

IMG_1029.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76