Underwater Walleye strikes Video

tomasz20

Established Member
An amazing look at how walleyes bite and behave with trolled crank baits.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
That first crank had some looks but not many takers.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the walleyes really have to struggle to keep up with that lure - not

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Makes me realize the importance of varying the speed. Pump the rod, slow down speed up, whatever. Also, if you haven't had any action, change colors.

I guess I grew up being told that walleyes are finicky, and fragile. That they hide all the time, and that they rarely "strike". Also, one would think that with a crankbait with three trebles, you couldn't miss. Ha ha, that notion is clearly wrong. In spite of the fact that pretty much every time I even look at a crankbait, I have to pull it out of my hand, those walleyes can nip it over and over, and swim away laughing, holding their bellies.

I spent a few minutes yesterday watching some smallmouth bass in shallow water. Also, some tiny ones at the dock. Inquisitive little buggers. Very interested in what's going on around them, even though they weren't always "biting". But they charged the lure repeatedly.

- - - Updated - - -

the walleyes really have to struggle to keep up with that lure - not

You should have the Skegosaurus pro shop get to work on the stability issues with this camera thing. I got a little sea sick with the wobbles.

Also, is it odd that that camera records sound too? Interesting to hear a crankbait, and the sounds of reeling.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
That was the walleye screaming in pain LOL

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
when all i did was throw cranks from the time i was 15 until i was 30, we ripped em as fast as we could with reels that had at least 5.2:1 gear ratios. if we weren't ripping them, we weren't catching them. the rule was if you had a walleye follow it, you weren't reeling fast enough. this video gives me a bit of verification.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
when all i did was throw cranks from the time i was 15 until i was 30, we ripped em as fast as we could with reels that had at least 5.2:1 gear ratios. if we weren't ripping them, we weren't catching them. the rule was if you had a walleye follow it, you weren't reeling fast enough. this video gives me a bit of verification.

I would agree, except in late-late season, when the water is muy frio.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
ya. i wouldn't know much about cold water. i usually don't get started til mid to late may and am done when hunting season starts. but, makes sense.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75