Need to upgrade Electronics

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
After three years I plan on adding a new unit. I have a Lowrance Elite 7 on the bow, which I am not overly impressed with. Sometimes the depth doesn't register. I know it is kind of a low priced unit. I am consider upgrading that. Something the same size and not real expensive. Maybe switch to a bird as I just put a new Ulterra G2.

I have and HDS-8 at the console and am happy with that. What I would like to do is add something there. If I stick with Lowrance I could network, so I am told so I would not have to add a transducer. Also like to have it have a screen that would split into 3.

Lastly I would like to keep this under $2000 for both. Okay please stop laughing now;:;rofl. Any and all input would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a barely used HDS gen 3 12" that it'd like to get rid of...
pm me if interested

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
To chirp or no chirp? In my situation the old lady will chirp but seriously is it must?

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
hard to beat the HDS 9 or 12 gen 2 or 3. you can find deals on used

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've yet to use an Hbird that has impressed me. My Helix 10 is better than my previous 1198c, but I would rather have an old HDS 8 Gen 2 over both of those units.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
The one big advantage that birds have is the lake level offset. And if lowrance now has that, it's a pricing issue.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an HDS Gen 3 9 on the my console that has the touch screen and the push buttons. I like this unit, has performed flawlessly for a year. I like having the buttons as well as the touch because I use the buttons when I am wearing gloves or bouncing across the waves.

No experience with birds so can't comment on them or how they compare.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The one big advantage that birds have is the lake level offset. And if lowrance now has that, it's a pricing issue.

That is is pretty easy to just do in your head.

Lake down 3 foots, der subtract 3 fingers from map.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I currently run 2 Lowrance Gen 3 (12 and 9) and a Helix 9. In my opinion the sonar performance is the same. The mapping with the Lakemaster chip with the HB is way better than the Lowrance with Navionics. I also have had the SI/DI in HB and currently have the SI/DI with Lowarnce. I would have to say that performance is really close as well. If you want a Lowrance unit with SI/DI, current mapping and chirp I believe you are spending at least a grand more than you would for a Helix.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have yet to spend some serious time behind a Bird, but after two seasons with the HDS gen3 units on my boat I am more then impressed. It took some time to muddle through setting it up and getting the transducers to show fish the way I wanted them to but after its all done, WOW! I can read and see fish on the bottom on plane running 25 to 40 mph. I don't ever loose bottom, even running wide open in 100 fow. I think Lowrance has come a long way from just a few years ago. I agree that the mapping on the Birds is better but for fishing I prefer Lowrance.

The touch screens can be a bit finniky. I have problems with them when its cold out and my hands are really dry. I usually just breath on my finger tips and the screen will pick up contact with my fingers after that. After having touch screens I don't think I would go back. I find myself trying to use friends graphs like they are touch screens all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

To chirp or no chirp? In my situation the old lady will chirp but seriously is it must?

In my opinion it is not a must have. I only switch my units to chirp if the fish are pinned to the bottom and I am moving really slowly.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks a lot guys. I was told by a HB user that to get the best map accuracy from the HB you need to get the puck (external antenna).

- - - Updated - - -

I currently run 2 Lowrance Gen 3 (12 and 9) and a Helix 9. In my opinion the sonar performance is the same. The mapping with the Lakemaster chip with the HB is way better than the Lowrance with Navionics. I also have had the SI/DI in HB and currently have the SI/DI with Lowarnce. I would have to say that performance is really close as well. If you want a Lowrance unit with SI/DI, current mapping and chirp I believe you are spending at least a grand more than you would for a Helix.

I have heard that statement before. After 18 years and 4 lower units I need all the help I can get. I was pulled in 22 miles one time. No one was happy that day.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've run both HB and lowrance. I started out the year with a helix 9 and 10, while the mapping is much better than the lowrance the 2d and DI leave much to be desired. I switched back to a lowrance HDS 9 and 7 with the helix 10 for mapping. The helix also doesn't record trails for nearly as long either. I'm with Sub on the never losing bottom, the damn helix was hit or miss but high speeds you were flying blind.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an HDS 9 Gen 2 touch for sale. If interested let me know.

I just ordered another Lowrance unit to replace this one. I used the HDS 9 about 6 times in the last year and it works great with another year of warrantee. Includes everything it came with and the box.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up an hds9 gen 2 on close out at cabellas this year, you won't be disappointed. Call Ahab and buy his!

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up an hds9 gen 2 on close out at cabellas this year, you won't be disappointed. Call Ahab and buy his!

I think they were like 899 and had a rebate for a while, for the gen 2, kind of crushing the resale price to the guy who paid double that for a new one 2 years ago

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 115
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69