Shore fishing tactics and stategy

andyb15

Established Member
I'm looking to do some shore fishing on the Red, Sheyenne or Wild Rice this fall. I've never really fished the rivers for walleye and not sure where to start. Any tips on what to look for in fishing spots and what you guys use for baits/lures for walleyes on the river.

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the Sheyenne, I would message KDM. He seems to have unlocked many secrets from his well written reports.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Work with the current (typically). Any places where you see a reduction in the current flow, fish it ex. lowhead dams, eddies along the bank, boulders in the river. Try 45 degree angle downstream and let your rig drift. Be willing to move.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fall fishing on the Sheyenne means bigger baits and more aggressive tactics. The fish are feeding to fatten for the winter and so prefer larger meals to tidbits. Use #9 or larger shallow running rapalas, shallow shad raps, and 4 inch or larger paddle tails. I use white first, then switch to a darker color as night approaches. As was mentioned, use the current to your advantage. Cast cross current and let the current imbibe the action. The water tends to be shallow so a fast retrieve can actually rip the bait past the fish before they have a chance to grab it. That being said, don't be afraid to jerk your bait sharply then let it settle. Hang on as most of the strikes are vicious and very powerful. Fish current seams, eddies, and confused water that indicate submerged structure the fish can sit behind in ambush. If you can find 4-6 ft of water all the better as most of the hard baits I mentioned will run about 18 inches to 2 ft depending on current speed and retrieve. Less than 4 and you run into snags or simply don't have enough water for the fish to attack a bait efficiently and any deeper and it's more difficult to find the seams and ambush points. The closer we get to winter the more time of day won't matter. If the fish are there, they usually make their presence known in short order. Hope this helps. Good Luck!!!

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the red I have had success pitching a jig and minnow for eater size eyes and sauger. I have also had success using a whole live sucker or creek chub fished on the bottom with a sliding weight and 18" mono leader. Tend to get much bigger fish this way.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76