Compact Tractor and Dealer Options

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone on here own a compact tractor? John Deere, Kubota, Kioti, or thoughts on others?

What about dealer experience in the ND, SD, maybe even MN area. Anyone have recommendations?

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two Kubotas one is for sale, you looking at new or used and what size and or HP?
You looking for a compact or one of the subcompacts everyone seems to be building now?

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I own a John Deere 1026r. Absolutely love it. If I would do it again though I would go with the 2 series. They are virtuly the same as the one series but have a true cat 1 pto and 1 series is limited cat 1. I've had mine for about 6 or 7 years and one of the biggest draw for me is the resale on them. As far as brand it's like buying Ford, Chevy, or dodge. See who has the best deals for financing and in my opinion ease of controls. Makes moving snow a ton of fun:cool:

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking in the 30-40hp range. I have spent a air amount of time researching the new 2017 design on the JohnDeere 2032r and 2038r.
I am open to any brand and new or used.

The resale value on the machines is one of the main reasons I am considering getting one. I think I could put it to good use for the next 4-6 years but after that might have all the projects done I need and at that point just need a mower and something to move snow. However plans change so who knows.

I got some pricing from a JD dealer and it wasn't great. Quite a ways off of prices I have seen elsewhere. So just trying to due some due diligence.

Anyone have any experience with area dealers, positive or negative, in either sales or service?

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't overlook the New Holland Boomer series.

- - - Updated - - -

For John Deere look towards Leading Edge Equipment. They have four locations.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a JD 3038 last fall, got a tiller and a blower for it. When I bought it, I knew I was most likely going to pay a little more for a green one, but in the end I think I got a fair deal. Seems to do everything I hoped it would do, blows snow like a SOB and works well tilling for food plots, bucket has decent capacity for anything I need as far as moving dirt/rocks/trees and such. Got it from leading edge in DL. Had great salesman there, haven't had to have anything serviced as yet but not thinking I'll have any trouble with them if service or warranty issues come up. If you want contact info and Devils Lake is an option, shoot me a PM and I can give you a name or two.

RNinND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2007 JD 2320 now and am also looking into getting a 35-40 hp tractor with a cab. I purchased it from the JD dealer in Linton, ND as they were by far the cheapest in 2007. Have had service work performed with RDO is Bismarck and have been satisfied. I've extensively researched Kioti and am leaning towards their CK3510 or CK4010 model. The comparable JD is about 10K more and if I had unlimited cash I'd get the JD mainly because they hold their value so well.

If my 2320 had a cab I'd stay with it as it has been virtually problem free for 10 years. Their is a Kioti dealer in Mandan, ND but have no experience with them.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're looking for used, keep an eye on the auction bills. The state also actions of tractors from time to time.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I follow some tractor forums and the smaller ones are kicking every ones butt due to the emissions, people are not using them hard enough for the emissions systems to work properly so take that into account when looking at the new models and how you are going to use it. If you are going to buy a 30-40 hp tractor and do light loader work all day you will probably have emissions issues unless you are working it with some other implement for a couple hours to generate enough heat to clean things out.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good stuff, thanks guys. I would use the machine for loader work, dirt work (box blade, tiller, etc.). I need to do a lot of grading work, retaining walls, driveway base and approach, snow, and also spray weeds and mow.

The biggest thing I haven't decided on yet is a mid mount mower vs something dedicated like a zero turn. The mid mount mower requires a mid pto, mowing deck, and lift option if I want auto connect. All that comes to the tune of $4-5k+ depending on options. Only other potential use for a mid PTO would be a front mount snow blower. All the options and machines makes a guys head spin.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably a little bigger than you seek, but I have a 2006 JD 4120. Great tractor, but a much larger frame than the sub-compacts. And that's ok by me, I have the room and like the ability to use bigger tools on the 3-pt, etc.

I bought mine in 2010 and have only put a couple hundred hours on it, pushing snow, tilling food plots, loader work, etc.

As far as dealers, I've used RDO for service on mine in Bismarck and have zero complaints with their service dept. However, when I was looking to originally buy a tractor of this size, I will just say that in ND the prices are 10-20% higher than what you can get elsewhere. I ended up buying mine in southern MN for about $4k less than what I could find in ND and even SD was cheaper, but not by as much. I don't know if you'd have the same experience in looking at other brands. Even though I prefer to shop locally, when you get an opportunity to buy something for $16K instead of $20k, I gotta take it.

Back when I was shopping I looked at the Kioti/Bobcat line (Kioti made them for Bobcat). This was about the same time as Kioti and Bobcat were having a tiff and I eliminated them because I wasn't sure I'd be able to find parts or service. I think they have it figured out now but I just haven't paid attention. The Kubota line-up is far improved over what they were 15 years ago, but I don't have any real experience with them. There are also the Cub Cadet series of compacts, they looked pretty good as well.

I used http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/index.php extensively to help me narrow down my search. Lots of good people on there with real world experiences on any make/model you would be interested in.

Truth be told, unless you were planning on using it commercially, I would really encourage you to go a little older and buy something used with yesteryear technology. I think the previous comments on the emissions technology highlight an unnecessary headache for us that use the machine 40-60 hours a year.

- - - Updated - - -

Note, for dirt work, I think I'd be looking at something bigger than a 2032 or 2038. It's tough to replace the advantage of weight when dealing with virgin ground. They'd be great at spreading dirt that's been fluffed and delivered to your work site, but if you are digging...it will be slow going.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
Front mount snow blower is the only way to go in my opinion, well worth the money spent there. Or if you like going to the chiropractor than a rear mount will do. I don't have a tractor that size but if I were to get one I wouldn't think twice about a spending the coin on a front mount snow blower. I've got an older JD garden tractor with the front mount snow blower and actually enjoy clearing snow.

One thing I considered when buying was how long do I plan on having it. If you only plan on 5-6 years the cheaper ones will serve you fine. However if you may keep it indefinitely, consider parts availability down the road. You can still get parts for a 40 year old JD garden tractor. New Holland should be ok, not sure about Kubota.

I bought mine in Grand Forks, before it was leading edge. By far better prices.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Second note. If you get something big enough to where you enjoy doing dirt work with it, you probably won't enjoy mowing with it. And same goes the other way around. If it's a good mower, you probably won't enjoy using it for dirt work. I have a six ft brush mower for mine which is good for the ditches and brush, but I sure as heck don't mow my front yard with it.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have a 1950 or so Fordson 8n or so with davis loader, manual steer, 4 cyl flathead (quite), 3 point that is not independent depending on how fast one can take it out of gear and reengage the clutch, turf tires on back for mowing, 6 volt that I will sell. Overall a great unit for those food plots, small jobs and building arm muscle for bow hunting. May be sold by the time you read this. db

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Second note. If you get something big enough to where you enjoy doing dirt work with it, you probably won't enjoy mowing with it. And same goes the other way around. If it's a good mower, you probably won't enjoy using it for dirt work. I have a six ft brush mower for mine which is good for the ditches and brush, but I sure as heck don't mow my front yard with it.

Yeah this is why I am struggling with the mid mount mower. I know for sure the tractor will not be a long term mowing machine. When the lot development is complete I will be cutting with a zero turn. However for a year or two I will need something to cut the grass with. I could probably cut majority of grass with rear 3p mower and maybe pick up a used or low dollar zero turn for the tight quarters.

I know that would work, I could save money on the machine by not having a mid pto, however that would also take away any future front snow blower option as well.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also forgot to mention checking out the mahindra tractors. I rented a few of those from the local bobcat place before I bought my JD for tilling projects and they seemed to perform adequately. Thinking back to when I shopped around, there are a lot of decent brands with decent options/implements out there. I decided on the JD for the main reasons mentioned above- good resale value, and probably won't ever have trouble finding service/parts. Ideally I'd have a cabbed one with front PTO for blowing snow and an open one with rear PTO for everything else. Unfortunately I couldn't find that option and don't have room for 2. Maybe have to build a bigger garage...::thinking::

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Own a JD 1025R. Great compact tractor. Mainly used for mowing, snow blowing, and moving rock and dirt. Great for small jobs. Purchased through RDO Bismarck. Have received great service in sales as well as service.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Yanmar EX450, It is a great small tractor, but it is a tractor. It has a 6ft bucket and the 3pt. I also have a 60" zero turn as there isn't a good way to use that size of tractor with a mower and get a good even cut. I haven't tried the 3pt finish mowers, but considering the time you will spend on it, get a dedicated mower.

I use my 450 for almost everything from dirt work, loading/unloading my car trailer, putting up deer stands, tilling deer plots, digging holes with a post hole digger, snow blowing (I have a 6ft snow blower on the back and the bucket in front, works good except as mentioned the turning aspect), also have a 6ft blade for dirt work. It is small enough to fit almost anywhere and light enough to go on a tandem 3500lbs axles trailer.

However much I like my Yanmar, it is a pain in the ass when you need to do any maintenance. I bought mine in Long Prairie, MN, there was a dealer in Fargo (Garden Hut) that went out of business, so I had to go to Sioux Falls for all my stuff. Now living by Sioux Falls, I found out they are the dealership any longer either. But when talking with them and looking at what they had, I would probably go with a Mahindra now.

I also forgot, Hydro or gear? Mine is a gear, as I have heard it takes quite a while to heat up the fluids for the hydro. Not a big deal if you have a heated shop. Personally, for me the tractor is going to be gear and lawn mowers are going to be Hydro.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to menition, if you are planning on lifting heavier things, you should consider a bigger tractor. There have been many times I have have to finagal the lift due to the lifting capacity. This is almost always with pallet forks. Which reminds me, find something with the quick-tach. Everything that a skid steer can use can then be used with the tractor.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would definitely agree on everything said about the Yanmar. My dad has one and it's been a good tractor but getting parts or service has been a nightmare. His is a hydro but as said it parks in a shop so that hasn't been an issue. He also has a New Holland one size bigger and that has been a great tractor. He uses that for everything from mowing to snowblowing to weed badgering the trees.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75