Portable Box Blinds

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking to buy a portable box blind. It's going into a high place that blows almost constantly and needs to get hauled a hundred yards up a steep hill by foot. Mostly rifle but want to use for archery in the future. With the wind, cold, and rain/snow issues a fabric blind seems like a crappy option (flapping fabric noise SUCKS) - so I am considering this.

Other commercial options out there that people have liked? (no - I built a skate ramp but do not feel like building a portable box blind thanks!)

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/-t...lind-green/0000000263297?bc=10276|10368|10369

the-archer.jpg
This seems like a decent option. Sold at Mills Fleet. Anybody use one and if so - your opinion?

- - - Updated - - -

https://terrainoutdoor.com/#the-archer

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd hang out in there with you.

Might I suggest an old school bus on its last ounce of energy, used whilst traversing this hill you're talking about. Throw it in park and shoot away.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
At 130lbs it looks like it would be doable to drag up a hill. Not sure how drafty it might be, though.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I posted some about these blinds a while back, but IMO, these blinds need some pretty good mods to be where I would want a blind. The floors are LOUD LOUD LOUD when you move anything as they are hard plastic and transmit every scrape and ping so carpet is a must on the floors and even the walls to be honest here. The hinges are weak at the doors and windows so when the blind gets exposed to heat/cold cycles and begin to warp a bit, they ALL SQUEEK when used and don't seal so heat escapes and cold and wet get in. The next problem is that the doors won't close properly and the locking mechanism will fail to keep the door closed so you end up jerry rigging something to keep the door closed. The area inside is just barely big enough to accomodate one hunter and gear and when you attempt to bring your rifle up and out a window, the space is relatively confined. Hunting two is quite the dance. Morning frost on both sides of the windows is a real possibility and your breath inside the blind will exacerbate the problem on some mornings and with the window and door problems, it becomes even more challenging. These are also NOT very heavy so wind moves them around quite a bit from what I've experienced. If I were to put a permanent blind out, I would build it out of wood, use carpet, and windows designed for houses or pay to have one built for me. IMO, a blind like that would be much more quiet, comfotable, and enjoyable to be in than a plasic box. Hope this helps. Good Luck!!!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd hang out in there with you.

Might I suggest an old school bus on its last ounce of energy, used whilst traversing this hill you're talking about. Throw it in park and shoot away.

ha ha - you bring the edibles that will allow for this magic school bus ride up a steep grade

- - - Updated - - -

I posted some about these blinds a while back, but IMO, these blinds need some pretty good mods to be where I would want a blind. The floors are LOUD LOUD LOUD when you move anything as they are hard plastic and transmit every scrape and ping so carpet is a must on the floors and even the walls to be honest here. The hinges are weak at the doors and windows so when the blind gets exposed to heat/cold cycles and begin to warp a bit, they ALL SQUEEK when used and don't seal so heat escapes and cold and wet get in. The next problem is that the doors won't close properly and the locking mechanism will fail to keep the door closed so you end up jerry rigging something to keep the door closed. The area inside is just barely big enough to accomodate one hunter and gear and when you attempt to bring your rifle up and out a window, the space is relatively confined. Hunting two is quite the dance. Morning frost on both sides of the windows is a real possibility and your breath inside the blind will exacerbate the problem on some mornings and with the window and door problems, it becomes even more challenging. These are also NOT very heavy so wind moves them around quite a bit from what I've experienced. If I were to put a permanent blind out, I would build it out of wood, use carpet, and windows designed for houses or pay to have one built for me. IMO, a blind like that would be much more quiet, comfotable, and enjoyable to be in than a plasic box. Hope this helps. Good Luck!!!

crap - confirms much of what I was worried about - thanks

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have heard good things about Redneck blinds, I know putzND has thrown a few of them together and may chime in on it. Not sure how heavy they are but they seem to be pretty well built. Not cheap however.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member

http://nodakangler.com/forums/showthread.php?7859-Guidesman-blind-from-menards

Here is the post I believe KDM was thinking about, and I did not buy that blind it was pretty thin plastic and I don't think it would have held together any better then a pop up blilnd in the wind/snow load.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The stump blinds are nice but might be too heavy by foot. Nice skids on them though for pulling with a 4 wheeler.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know you said you don't want to build one, but if done correctly, it wouldn't be much different than assembling a manufactured blind. I built one back in 2006 using 4" thick pre-insulated wall panels. Mine is elevated on 4x4 posts and the floor is 2x6 joists with 3/4" plywood. I used a total of 6 panels to make a 6x8' blind. Most of the work could be done at home too (build floor, install windows/door, etc.).

The walls are solid Styrofoam compressed with particle board, so they are pretty lightweight. Once cut to size, the foam is stripped from the outer edges and 2x4s are placed in flush and nailed/stapled. Same with window cutouts and doors (strip foam, place 2x4s, nail/staple). Once that's done and the floor is ready, you basically just get one side up (screwed from the bottom up) and then continue around with all the other sides (screwed bottom up and through all the corners). Makes for a really sturdy structure.

I used the half log siding from menards on mine, but I'll probably refinish it sometime and just use tin, or something else that requires less maintenance.

Hell, I'd even consider doing all the prep work for you if I can still get my hands on the panels.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hell, I'd even consider doing all the prep work for you if I can still get my hands on the panels.

ha ha - thanks bowhunter

I actually like building things I just don't have the time this season - maybe I'll endure a portable on the hill this year

I'm looking at an pre-owned trailerable unit that might work in another area (not the windy hill top)

I've looked hi/low for those composite 4x8 sheets but haven't had much luck

what are they called and who sells them?

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha - thanks bowhunter

I actually like building things I just don't have the time this season - maybe I'll endure a portable on the hill this year

I'm looking at an pre-owned trailerable unit that might work in another area (not the windy hill top)

I've looked hi/low for those composite 4x8 sheets but haven't had much luck

what are they called and who sells them?

They are called "structural insulated panels" or SIPS. I would find some local contractors that use them and see if they have any scraps, or if you could piggyback on one of their larger orders. There is always some waste, and in some cases the scrap pieces may be large enough for one or two walls in a small structure. For houses, I believe most of them use the 6" panels, but I could be mistaken.

I did find one site that sells them, but never looked into actually purchasing it. I think it was acme panels or something.

Now you've got me wanting to build another one....

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep thats mine right there, got it on sale at menards.
Warm , dry,comfy quiet and affordable.

014.jpg

Filkow

Founding Member
Founding Member
May not be what u looking for and not sure how draft proof but couple neat blinds I been eyeing. Ghost blind has a blind and also Dox outdoors has a panel blind. With some of these blinds a little spray foam goes along ways to help seal up

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79