My Elk hunt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I didn't get drawn for elk this year. Since I was having surgery on my foot it was ok and seemed like good timing. Since I only have the one foot I'm restricted to my wheelchair for a couple more months. I do cheat a little using my crutches for short hops though. ;:;rofl

I found out on the 14th I had been given an archery bull tag through Wishes for Warriors. It was in the unit I live in and even came with a guide! I didn't know what to say when they called and still don't.

I have been on 15 or so make a wish hunts for kids and really enjoyed helping those kids have a great time. I wasn't aware that they even had a program for guys like me and that I would qualify for it so it was a huge surprise when I got the call.

My new friend and guide Ty had a crossbow I could use during my hunt. That was a good thing because until I get my shoulder rebuilt I can't pull my compound bow more than 2 or 3 times. We had to plan my hunt around 2 short stays in the hospital. I have been an archery instructor for kids and first time shooters but have never hunted with a bow.

We went out for a couple of half days and saw 8 nice bulls and a lot of cows and calfs. One bull we saw and called in was about 380 or so. He stayed just out of range for me to shoot. It was a lot of fun just watching him and his little herd of cows.

They let me back out of the hospital Wed morning so Wed afternoon we went out to a spot I shoot a lot of coyotes from and set up about a 1/2 hour before sunset and started calling. About 10 minutes in a nice little 5x5 showed up and stopped about 45 yards out. He was quartering a little and I shot him in the front shoulder.

I had a great time getting out and it was even better harvesting a nice bull. Looks like a new crossbow is one of my next buys.

Bull Elk 9:20:17.jpg

Bull elk hunt 9:10:17 -01.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
THAT A GUY!!!! Congratulations on a great bull!!! We grey beards can STILL "Get'er Done"!!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The "Out of the hospital and straight to the field" part of the story makes me smile. Ya got any "coffee-worthy" nurses? Congratulations on your 1st crossbow bull.

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
Way to go and like some one else mentioned from hospital to field true hard core. The good eats will help with a speedy recovery I hope. And about those nurses?????

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76