Mountain lion sighting confirmed along Missouri River in Burleigh County

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Posted: Fri 4:45 PM, Sep 22, 2017 | Updated: Fri 4:49 PM, Sep 22, 2017

BISMARCK, N.D. - The Burleigh County Sheriffs Department says a mountain lion has been spotted northwest of Bismarck.
The confirmed sightings have taken place along the Missouri River.
The Sheriffs Department says the animals don't typically pose a danger to humans, but they remind residents to be aware

Anyone of you goobers down that way happen to see this thing, or was the police department burning their confiscated drug stash again? :;:smokin

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not uncommon to have a cat roam through the area. I know of at least three that have been shot around the Bis area in prior years. One was shot right in town behind the old Home Depot Bldg another was taken down around the rifle range area and another was taken opening day of deer season in the apple creek WMA

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They do travel around occasionally. Most likely a younger one looking to make a home. The truth is that even though they are seen outside of the badlands area, they are unlikely to establish a home very far away from that area. Flatlands are not their preferred habitat.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
They do travel around occasionally. Most likely a younger one looking to make a home. The truth is that even though they are seen outside of the badlands area, they are unlikely to establish a home very far away from that area. Flatlands are not their preferred habitat.

You hear that narrative a lot and I mostly agree with it as far as I don't think they're going to make a home out on the flat plains... but that being said I absolutely believe a few could make a home in the river bottoms. Lots of critters for them to eat and plenty of cover to do their hunting.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You hear that narrative a lot and I mostly agree with it as far as I don't think they're going to make a home out on the flat plains... but that being said I absolutely believe a few could make a home in the river bottoms. Lots of critters for them to eat and plenty of cover to do their hunting.

Missouri River that could certainly be true as some of that habitat is rougher and similar to the cliffs, etc. that mountain lions like for ambushing their dinner.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
They come into my country but never leave....

What is Mexicans for $400

- - - Updated - - -

Ive seen signs of cats along the heart river quite a bit. I've heard there have been a few taken along it.

Deer hunting by Frolic dam I was walking in a narrow canyon that was pretty tall and came to a dead end. It smelled like cat piss really bad. Made the hairs on my back stand up. If there was a cat back there i wouldn't have seen him untill he was on top of me.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not uncommon to have a cat roam through the area. I know of at least three that have been shot around the Bis area in prior years. One was shot right in town behind the old Home Depot Bldg another was taken down around the rifle range area and another was taken opening day of deer season in the apple creek WMA

4th was taken across the road and a little south from the trap club North of town. That was 2012 the Monday after pheasant season opened.

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some one spots 1 in hundreds that probably actually pass through and everyone's head explodes and then won't let their dog out lol.

Last edited:

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is Mexicans for $400

- - - Updated - - -

Ive seen signs of cats along the heart river quite a bit. I've heard there have been a few taken along it.

Deer hunting by Frolic dam I was walking in a narrow canyon that was pretty tall and came to a dead end. It smelled like cat piss really bad. Made the hairs on my back stand up. If there was a cat back there i wouldn't have seen him untill he was on top of me.

Where is there a canyon by Froelich dam? I'm from that area and don't know of this canyon u speak of? When I say from there, I mean grew up in the area n still hunt there n know the guy who owns all the land around it! And have hunted all the land he owns and still do!

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
State school land straight East from Froelich's. On the other side of 6. Might not technically be considered a canyon but it gets the type of land feature accross.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77