Dog blind for field hunting?

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am just starting to get into goose hunting. Probably only get out 2-3 weekends this year. Do you guys use dog blinds? Any recommendations?

I'm thinking early season the dog bling might not be necessary, but late season when it is cold, it would be nice for the dog to have a little protection, especially on the feet. I've been eyeballing the Tanglefree blind and dog blind combo on Cabelas.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a momarsh that works great. If you do any water hunting they have legs that extend out a few feet

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to use a dog blind. Don't any more. I think a dog trained to stay "kenneled" until release works very well for dog blind situations. Keeps them from breaking and also concealment.

But for whatever reason the last few years I haven't been using them and have noticed zero issue with decoying birds. At the very least the dogs wear their camo neoprene vests for concealment/warmth. Otherwise the birds just don't seem to notice them. Plus, their rate of chasing down marks is much improved since they can see birds work and fall after the shot. I don't have to do nearly as much direction now compared to when I used a field blind.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've been using them for years. Have a couple Final Approach Mutt Huts. I think they're great. But like mentioned above you do need a dog that stays in it's kennel until you send it. When we use them rather than putting them next to us, we put their hut(s) more in the middle and on the upwind edge of the decoys. This allows the dogs a great field of view of the birds coming in and getting knocked out of the sky. Makes for way better marking for them when they're not next to you with birds falling in front, on the sides, and behind them so much.

Heidihuntingthefog.jpg

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I kill quite a few geese each year too. I have never used a dog blind. Just another thing to conceal I guess which is hard enough with our blinds. What stands out most with blinds is profile. My dogs lay right next to my blind and I have a few dekes placed around them to break up outline. If they are steady and don't move you will have no issues. I have had birds (ducks and geese) land right in front of them with no issues. I kinda wonder if my black male doesn't look like a goose from a distance. When you scout honkers they look black from distance so?? Anyway, if cold I put on a vest. Neither of my dogs get cold etc. Again, if well behaved laying next to blind is quite simple and less work.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
last weekend we had a hell of a time getting birds to completely commit. after looking things over one guy in a lay down was too obvious. moved him more down wind and tried to conceal better and it made a hell of a difference. I was all about getting a dog blind but after last weekend I won't. They are too tall and too obvious. much better off having dog laying beside you where you can throw some straw, etc. on top.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
We hunt with a black and a yellow, yellow doesn't like to be in the dog blind much, black one doesn't mind lying in one. There doesn't seem to make any difference on cooperativeness of the birds if the dog is in or out of the blind. Have had plenty of birds decoy while the dogs are retrieving. Only thing that seems to flare birds is if the dog gets a little excited and bolts early, if your dog does that, a blind probably isn't going to do much to improve your odds decoying. As far as keeping it warm, i can't imagine it helping much better than your dog tucked up next to your blind. Dogs are tough, cold ain't gonna bother them much.

If I were you, I'd save your money this year and see what happens without one. My .02 anyway.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was kind of thinking stretch a piece of burlap between 2 layout blinds and attach foliage to that to conceal the dog.... so the dog can lay under it.... then it still has the same profile as your blinds

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like I said and a couple others. Your dog doesn't need anything. Just teach it to lay still- period. A state trapper once told me that when he flies he can pick out goose hunter blinds no problem. Said they are usually camouflaged up well but he can pick out profile rather easy. Hence..birds can too. So in my eyes less blinds and the lower profiled ones the better.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like having a dog blind but that's just me. Whatever you do, don't plan on having your dog in your blind with you. Really hard on the pups ears and dangerous for the dog.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks guys. Pretty newbie goose hunter here so I appreciate the advice. We have had the dog out just a couple times and he does pretty good at staying put for not being trained too much. But as soon as I make a move to shoot, he is off and running before the shot even goes off. Absolutely loves the water, retrieved all 6 ducks I shot last Sunday.
IMG_0809 (1).jpg
BTW anybody want to sell a laydown blind around Minot?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^ Might I suggest a stake-out with a short chain? Maybe a couple feet long, tops? Pound that sucker in close to your blind, then hook it to the dog. Will keep it from bolting at the shot, and you can quick unclip him after the action is over so he can make the retrieve. I did this for my oldest dog before I had him steady broke.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thats a good idea. Theres been a few times he has bolted even when I reach into my bag or shift on the chair haha. He needs some work for sure, hes really the only reason I got into the ducks over water.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
as long as there isn't water involved, keeping the dog warm is the last thing you need to worry about. well as long as it's a lab I guess.

4Buck

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used to have my dog lay by me in my ground blind, stone deaf at 7. New dog is in his own blind 15 yards behind me. I guess safety for my bud is a number one priority for me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75