Did all the ducks in MN leave???

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My route for work takes me up to Starkweather and today I couldn't believe the number of waterfowl rigs on highway #2 and I-29. Most rigs I've seen in the 3 years I've been running. Large majority of them had MN plates. Is MN completely out of ducks???
:;:stirthepot

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those poor little shit ducks that have been resting peacefully in the sloughs and road ditches all summer are in for a shock in about a half hour

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those poor little shit ducks that have been resting peacefully in the sloughs and road ditches all summer are in for a shock in about a half hour

What is a shit duck? Coots?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
My route for work takes me up to Starkweather and today I couldn't believe the number of waterfowl rigs on highway #2 and I-29. Most rigs I've seen in the 3 years I've been running. Large majority of them had MN plates. Is MN completely out of ducks???
:;:stirthepot

MN's waterfowl population is a living experiment to what happens when you ditch and/or tile every damp spot in every field.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went for a 15 mile drive this morning. Every pothole with water had a out of state truck parked at it. Didnt see any birds flying till I got to the posted stuff I have permission to hunt. I'm going to take my son out again tomorrow and let him blow though a couple boxes of shells.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is a shit duck? Coots?

I classify pretty much any duck that you usually dont shoot in the field (mallards and pintails) as a shit duck. To each their own. I'm a white racist male so maybe that plays into it. The kids can shoot all the widgeons/gadwalls etc that come in, but i usually try to get 5 greenheads and a drake pintail for a limit. I guess i'm a duck snob.

i was raised if you walk up to it and say wtf is that? Its a shit duck.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I thought a shit duck were the ones that were born and raised on the city lagoons.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I classify pretty much any duck that you usually dont shoot in the field (mallards and pintails) as a shit duck. To each their own. I'm a white racist male so maybe that plays into it. The kids can shoot all the widgeons/gadwalls etc that come in, but i usually try to get 5 greenheads and a drake pintail for a limit. I guess i'm a duck snob.

i was raised if you walk up to it and say wtf is that? Its a shit duck.

I was raised to know what I was shooting..... Not knowing what it is I wouldn't call it a shit duck I would call it a shit hunter

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just don't understand why people just can't hunt their own state for once. Sure it brings money into the state, the whole point is, its ruins it for the local hunters in my opinion.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just don't understand why people just can't hunt their own state for once. Sure it brings money into the state, the whole point is, its ruins it for the local hunters in my opinion.

I try and get out of state for at least one hunt per year so I can't agree with this. The way I see most of them ruining it is drive though muddy fields and 2 tracks.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

I hunt out of state because we don't have mountains or elk I can hunt every year.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not saying drainage doesn't have an effect, but forest versus prairie has a bigger impact.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've written about this before. MN used to be a waterfowl hunting Mecca. Lot of guys out there that remember the good old days and miss them. I can't blame them for trying to find them again.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a kid growing up in MN in the 60s, my Dad and I had excellent duck hunting but something changed. No doubt drainage has had an impact but I think a lot of it is related to changes in agriculture practices in Canada and neighboring states.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not saying drainage doesn't have an effect, but forest versus prairie has a bigger impact.

MN has LOTS of prairie once you get south of Hwy 2 and lots more once you're south of I-94. What they lost was migrating waterfowl.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had some incredible mallard shoots on public land in NW MN in the late 90s/early 2000s when I was a teen. Can't imagine how good central ND must have been during that time.

MN still shoots a pretty good number of ducks (I think they still have the highest number of duck hunters) but the opportunities are so much different in ND. In MN you're probably on overhunted public waters if you don't have access to private land, or you're setting up on a lake and hoping that ducks come by. ND you can actually try to scout and pick decent spots. Go on some of the MN forums and read about guys getting to boat accesses at 3 am only to find several other trailers.

MN seems to lack the small potholes that really produce and harbor ducks. They have plenty of water but you read a lot about how water quality has gone downhill as water levels have gone up and farming has intensified. Seems like there is so little nesting habitat in most of the prairie areas I've been to in MN; everything is farmed.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80