Fishing tournament teams yes or no

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
:;:smokin
Personally I think it is kind of crap, economically and strategically it makes sense though if that is why you are fishing is solely money. I like to fish against my buddies and compete, the thing is when your buddies are fishing with four other boats in a round about way it makes it hard to cover the water and find the fish like they do. But when you get to a podium on your own it seems worth it. The other thing is it has been established at the pro level and until they get rid of it, you won't see a change.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have to agree but like you say there is no stopping it. Just makes it all the better when you beat them. Ive always been one to go find my own fish anyway.

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've always done our own thing as well - and have been handsomely rewarded a few times for doing so. We've also completely bombed.

Professional BASS has figured out how to stop it - I'll try to figure out how they do it.

But, in my humble opinion, especially for the little bit of cash we fish for, putting together a team is complete bullshit. "Travel partners" or whatever you want to call it is deterring from our circuits. It's not that I can't make friends, I just don't want someone buttering me up just to be used for a fishing spot ;)

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Tournament Team fishing have been around for a long time. If you want to team fish join your local fishing club at least the one in Central ND. It is quite hilarious on tournament day seeing all these guys trying to fish the same spots that everyone know about. Sharing information is a way to try to get a edge in a tournament but usually pisses somebody off. It is quite rewarding placing higher in the standings then the butt y team . I know who you Big Mudders R. LOL

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Team fishing could actually work against a person. During the Big Muddy for instance a lot of the river spots are small and not all spots hold big fish. Five big bites can be hard thing to get and sharing those bites isn't gonna help your cause any. Where if you kept it to yourself you would be giving yourself a much better chance to win. Just another way to look at it. The guys dragon eyes is referring to do share info but I highly doubt they are sharing the money if one wins. I could be wrong I guess.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Locally I don't know many who are "official" teams. Definitely guys that share some info, but most seem to be more tight lipped than they let on. However, on the pro level, they've been doing it for years. There are SD guys that have been in partnership and share all winnings equally since the 80's. Interesting when on has a good year and the other doesn't. The Parsons crew is a team and they all generally do well or don't. But, they don't fish the same exact spots. In the recent tournament they were all using the same technique on the same type of structure yet miles apart and all finished well. It really doesn't bother me that much. Now, what the bass guys were doing was BS. Hiring good local fisherman to scout/prefish for them was a bogus deal. Glad they are clamping down on it.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
Yes in most instances it does hurt their cause, here is an example of team tournament or sharing information it took place in the governors cup this year. Prefishing a guy i know gave information to another team were they were catching fish, big mistake.The next mourning the guys they told got up early and were in the same spot catching fish. Game day some fish were there but not the size as before. Both teams were in the top 30 guess who placed higher? Who know what the outcome would have been if they did not share their information with the other guys. Just speculation but i think the guys that found the fish first could have placed higher then the guys they told. I know one thing they told me they will never share information again. Live and Learn. P.S. Sum 1 Big Muddy Right on.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a very unfortunate phenomenon, but Money and Big Antlers seem to turn a fairly significant portion of normally upstanding outdoors folks into Jackwad Sphincter Lickers who think rules are for the other guy and if I can get away with it it's somehow OK. It's a shame and disgraces not only the game or fish pursued, but the individual as well. I wish it wasn't that way, but it seems to be all to common I'm afraid.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just sent an email to the comm and my rep sen to enact a aim format for all tourneys.

Plain Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a big reason why I don't think I will be doing the AIM. Unless I can find a bunch of guides to team up with.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think team fishing hurts them at least 50% of the time. Only thing it really benefits you for on a regular basis is presentation, bait, etc.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Professional BASS has figured out how to stop it - I'll try to figure out how they do it.

Does the BASS circuit allow anyone to sign up?

From what I have gathered following the NWT, these teams are used to help cover ground, break down water, and share patterns that work and don't work.

In all the tourneys but the championship the traveling pros have to go up against some locals. Those locals have lake knowledge, likely more time to prefish, and likely buddies or family also helping prefish.

For the same reasons the majority of us wont enter a tournament off of some home type water, I am sure some numbers of traveling pros would drop in the NWT.

It is just an assumption, but I am guessing by allowing these "Teams" the NWT gets better numbers of both traveling pros and locals.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
When the locals started fishing the so called "pro" tourneys is when my interest dropped. It's one thing to fish em all but some only fish the local event. Please coorect me if I am wrong. Pwt and flw was the last decent tourneys

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want to fish a tournament at least once in my life. However, I don't want to hang around all the big dick slinging that these tournaments are known for. I want to find a tournament that is overall a happy environment and everyone has fun.
I'd say jump in and fish them. No better feeling then beating the big dick slingers. Tourneys are what you make of them and can be very addicting. Usually about three quarters of the field in these bigger tourneys are out there to have fun. Everyone wants to win some just take to the next level and some could care less. You would be surprised by how many husband/wife or father/son teams win the tourneys in non sparkled boats.

p.s. I have no problem with people that have sparkly boats or those that pack a bigger unit than my own.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's wrong with a local fishing a national tour tourney when they pop into someone's backyard? Hell, we had two "locals" in the top three at the NWT in garrison. I know that I have a good time at the big muddy. By the time we get to weigh ins, my wife is having a much better time than most. I think I enjoy that tourney more than some holidays.

As far as teammates go, if you're sharing information and competing for the same fish, you're doing it wrong. I think the goal would be to hammer out what presentations are working to find multiple locations of fish.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Correct me if I am wrong. Did all of the locals fish the entire nwt circuit? I didn't think so. When I was young I loved going down watching the bassmaster. You knew the players from tv. Sitting at a park bench with Roland and his wife shooting the $hit. David fritz leading the tourney. You had locals but they fished them all until they were broke or succeeded. Pwt was awesome format. Tommy skarlis with his latest win that is a pro. Add to that his tree stand accident. I don't care to see a local yocal fish one tournament in a series with no risk other then a entry $ doesn't. Impress me. We

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
So it's just your opinion about locals fishing a tournament. What does that have to do with tournament teammates though? And why is it such a big deal for a local to not fish a tournament?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
27313A71-388B-4D31-B0BC-F89C7675A16B.jpg

short and dirty discuss fishing tournaments

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107