Time to Rattle?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw some mule deer bucks (little guys) doing some fairly serious sparring earlier this week. Figured I'd try to rattle something in tomorrow. I've had good luck using decoys and calls (estrous can and grunt tube) but no luck rattling. To be fair, I've only ever used those bags and I don't think they sound right. Me and the kiddo put together the little project you see below today and I'm excited to try them out. Anyone ever have any luck this early?

IMG_1112.jpg

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cut that brow tine off trust me it hurts the thumb. Worth a shot I've never rattled in a buck before November 1st but a guy never knows.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did cut one off on the other one. I played with them for awhile and the brow tine that is there is angled up enough so that I don't smash my fingers. Before I cut the other one off though, I did exactly that, so I know what you mean.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
This early. No.
Rattling has to be at the right time. I've seen too many guys on public lands attract more hunters than deer. If your loud with it it can be heard a long, long way off.
I quit it a long time ago in ND. A few low key grunts is all I will do now. By all means if you have private land, the first and last part of November rut is best... they occasionally can work. I much prefer a stealth mode where I hunt.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very secluded private land. No other hunters bow, or otherwise, for a few miles at least until rifle season starts.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have rattled in a few bucks around this time of year. Last year I brought a good one in late September. He came in so fast he busted me in mid rattle.
I think there is definitely a period of time after they shed velvet where they fight for territory and dominance. Rattling won't work every time, but it can be effective early in the year. This is for whitetails, not sure about mulies.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I seem to have really good success with rattling and grunting. Unfortunately, it brings in the young bucks looking for a fight. I haven't rattled in one sizeable deer.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try it it won't scare them away. Also that 5 point looks like the main beam has too much curl to it, probably will smash you fingers with it. I've been hit by main beams more than browtines when rattling

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm getting a kick out of your guys' concern for my fingers. I actually do appreciate it. The antlers are what I had so they will have to do.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have these 2 going at it for 15 minutes in this sequence. Oddly enough I still had a couple buck in velvet.

EK000050.jpgEK000089.jpg

EK000074.jpg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would, but I would be rather light on the rattling. It's not for a couple weeks yet when the big fights really get started. Just my 2 centavos worth.

While I prefer to use actual antlers in rattling, hauling them around sucks and I have at times used the sticks in a bag. Biff it one time on a muddy hillside with a set around your neck and you may know what I mean. That HURT!

I've often wondered if a bag set of cut up antlers would sound better than the bag of sticks. Anyone ever cut up a pair for this purpose?

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard deer fighting many times in the stand. When you rattle and get one coming in all pissed off it does not matter how big they are it is a blast.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years back I was still feeling a little goofy from the night before and was sitting in the truck messing with cows using a doe bleat call. All of a sudden a big buck appeared out of nowhere and the wife got out and shot him. First and only time I have called a deer in using any kind of call or rattle.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years ago I read an article about antler tone. They said off the head antlers don't sound the same. They did have a cure, and I tried it and it appears to work. They cut about an inch off the end of each tine, then drilled a small hole about two inches deep into the end. For better or worse it did sound to me like it changed the tone some. For one thing it was less high pitched and sounded like larger antlers.

It's not surprising to have small bucks come in to the rattling. I can't even remember the guys name anymore, but he did his masters on deer at Slade National Wildlife Refuge. Often when big bucks were fighting small bucks would sneak in and bread the doe. He called them sneaky Fu**&ers and wrote it that way in his thesis. No one thought it would get published that way, but it did.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
The rattling bags don't sound right to me Allen. I've tried them with zero positive results.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56