Spot and stalk mulies and rattling

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For those of you that spot and stalk mulies, have you ever tried rattling and trying to get the buck to come to you over trying to sneak in the last 100 yards?
There are times were a buck is in an almost impossible spot to sneak or other deer are in the way, just wondering if rattling would work in those situations.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find this topic interesting.
I'm usually stalking in October, which is too early for the rut, and I'm guessing it wouldn't work.
The bucks are usually in bachelor groups at this time, making them easier to find, but harder to kill.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've had fun with a doe decoy during the mulie rut.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im going to give it a try tomorrow morning if I can't get close in on one.

I wouldn't if I were you. Mulies are NO WHERE NEAR as aggressive as whitetails and you can't hunt'em the same way. If you are on a spot and stalk hunt then STALK'EM. Crashing or even tickling the horns together will give your position away and with the normally open type terrain, how will you stay hidden enough to draw if they decide to come in and are looking right at your position? Pick your stalks and live or die by the sneak. JMHO though. Good Luck, I hope you prove me wrong!!!

Deep Forks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with KDM... mulies are a completely different beast than their cousins. Moose, elk and whitetails can be rattled/called into close situations. For whatever reasons it just doesn't take with mulies. This is why I love chasing them so much, spot and stalk is just you, the wind and the terrain and you gotta try to make it work. I'm not saying nobody has ever rattled or called a mulie in but I've never heard of it done. And on a side note I feel like mulies rut later than most people think, I've bowhunted them in early to mid December and seen some pretty intense rut activities.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have called in mulies with dying rabbit calls at least four times while predator hunting.

Deep Forks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Called in mature bucks? Or does that were thinking one of their young ones was in trouble?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
several small herds - always more than one - some with horns

yes, almost certainly defense related

- - - Updated - - -

it was always a WTF moment for everyone involved I know that!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bring your bow next time. Roast coyote isn't quite a match to mule deer chops. (Grin)

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wouldn't if I were you. Mulies are NO WHERE NEAR as aggressive as whitetails and you can't hunt'em the same way. If you are on a spot and stalk hunt then STALK'EM. Crashing or even tickling the horns together will give your position away and with the normally open type terrain, how will you stay hidden enough to draw if they decide to come in and are looking right at your position? Pick your stalks and live or die by the sneak. JMHO though. Good Luck, I hope you prove me wrong!!!

Tried a new spot and only had 1 opportunity to stalk or rattle Saturday morning, but situation was ruined by coyotes. Would've been a good opportunity to try the rattling, as the buck was bedded in a bad spot for a stalk. I think there would be times where it would work. Especially if a guy stayed back 100-200 yards, that way a guy can pick a spot to hide and not be out in the open. If it doesn't spook the deer, maybe it would at least get him up and maybe he would move to a better spot for a stalk.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
rattled last year with year old sheds every deer in the draw took off, calling on the other hand the effects usually have been different

bowhunter88

Established Member
Last year when out rifle hunting we were walking and heard a brief fight. Caught them out in the open and only got a look at one which was smaller. Ended up talking to someone who spends a lot more time out west than i do and said the big ones won't even bother fighting an anxious buck. They'll just skirt around and keep on their way.

bowhunter88

Established Member
i've heard of smaller mulies coming into rattling just haven't heard of mature ones. Never know unless you try it.

Redrifle14

The only mulie I have ever killed with my bow, was during the rut (November 7th several years ago). He was cruising in a wide open combined wheat field. I hid in a rock pile and rattled. He turned on a dime and came from 150 yards to 15 yards. He was clearly seeking though, so the conditions were way different than mid October. I don't see a lot of mulies where I hunt, so I thought he was enormous.... major ground shrinkage on the retrieve! Which is supports what bowhunter88 says about small ones responding. Good luck!

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard good things about using these decoys, A friend of mine got a dandy, basically walked right up to his buck

00small32711288.jpg

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
My friends get pretty close without horns. Just can't hit shit. Missed at 10 yards bedded and 25 yards running last week. I have trouble giving em too much shit though. It's tough enough just getting close.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62