Hunting 'Unposted' Private Land

Captnobvs

Heard of a group (3 adults and two kids) that hunted south of Steele on private unposted land butted up against the Long Lake refuge (east end to be specific) that they had scouted the day before.
They went out Saturday morning to shoot some mud hens and while they were setting up, a vehicle drove by slowly a couple of times before stopping and getting out of the vehicle the third time to do something.
An hour later, GNF shows up to tell them they are hunting posted land. Turns out, the landowner posted the land while they were in the field. Landowner claimed he posted it the night before and had dated it as such.
Ironically, the group had to drive between the fence posts in which the posters were later placed, therefore could not have missed them when entering the land in the morning.
GNF had to talk the asshole out of pressing charges against the two kids. $350 fine and loss of hunting/fishing/trapping privs for one year. Thats a low blow!

I'm all for respecting landowners wishes not to want anyone on your land, but this is a new low. Just beware when hunting 'non-posted' land - would hate to have this happen to someone else. Might want to consider taking photos before entering private land just to cover your ass.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
This is the main reason I quit hunting. I now fish all fall and I don't miss hunting at all. A land owner can't post a boat ramp.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I have never worried about it. I am lucky, though. In the area I hunt, our family knows almost everyone.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe they walked down a section line to get to long lake refuge,

i always thought it was against the law for government land to not be able to access the land through some sort of easement from private land (Wyoming has a lot of BLM/state land that is not accessible becuase of surrounding private land.

Why didn't the hunters do thier homework before walking onto private land, I mean was this the only way to access this little hidden jewel.
Seems kind of unprepared

- - - Updated - - -

This is the main reason I quit hunting. I now fish all fall and I don't miss hunting at all. A land owner can't post a boat ramp.

A landowner can get a section line road closed and then turn it into a private boat launch

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
lunkerslayer, Landowners can't post a ramp where I fish or want to fish. Like we have some bad hunters. We also have some bad/grumpy land owners. Just the way it is. My choice is to go fishing and avoid the hassle. Besides, the fall fishing is fantastic!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
this practice is nothing new. I had this happen to me while out deer hunting a few years back. He just drove around and drove the signs in and left. Didn't stick around for some reason. Yesterday I went to hunt a small piece I have hunted for years. It's right on the corner of two section lines. The one is a prairie trail that doesn't even go all the way through the section. I came in from the east and turned onto prairie trail section line and stopped. a minute later a pickup pulled up alongside of me and asked if we were going to hunt it. I figured he was going to ask if he could hunt it with us. I told him yea we were. He then went on to tell me it was posted. I said it surely wasn't and I turned around and looked out the back window at the corner of the two section lines. I then said I don't see a sign there on the corner where it needs to be and that I've hunted it for years. He then informed me it was posted a couple hundred yards to the east. I drive by this land all the time since it's one mile from my house. I told him there wasn't a sign there saturday morning when I drove by. He said I know I'm the land owner and I just posted it yesterday afternoon. I bit my lip and I think he could tell I was. He finally said yea go ahead and hunt it but we hunted it yesterday lol. I said nah forget it and left. I think we need to clamp down on this stuff. There is no reason to not have these signs up two weeks in advance. Think that has to change. And I think we need to have laws that prevent prosecution of people if land isn't posted properly. It's getting out of hand.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member

They have tried! Sibley? What was the deal with Brown's bay?

The site was down for a day V needs to make up for lost clicks. Or did my refreshing every 10sec while the sight was down still count?

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I try and make an effort to find the owner to double check and just give a heads up. When I do manage to make contact, the usual response is, well it is posted? No. Then why are you calling or why are you not hunting yet. Many times it is a trust and the owner (s) and cannot seem to track them down or the company holding the trust says go. I drive around several times if possible checking and double checking. Pretty shallow to do what that guy did, if that is how it went down.

I can't believe an honest apology and saying we will leave now would not suffice. I am always a little paranoid this will happen at some point. I have to imagine game and fish is going to be pretty strict on enforcing with the attempt this year to change the trespass law.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lets talk about Browns Bay again please. I forgot what happened there...wink

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I killed a decent buck a few years back in the middle of a dry cattail slough. It was the nicest one to date 150"ish and was on cloud 10. Decided to swing the deer by to thank and show the landowner. That was the LAST time I was ever able to hunt that land. After 10 years of never being posted, there is now a sign about every 20 yards and we are NOT welcome. Lesson learned - don't kill anything bigger than the landowners, and if you do, sure as hell don't show them!!

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some a*hole farmers will claim everything is theirs on ground they own....except standing water, that needs to go to someone else...

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also quit hunting a couple years ago and just stuck to fall fishing. Don't miss it in the least.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 121
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 73