Jackplates on aluminum boat - worth the $$$ ???

The_owl

Established Member
In my search for a new (or at least, new to me) fishing boat, one thing I keep reading about is how jackplates are worth the money. That said, the vast majority of the time I'm reading about them, they are talking about fiberglass boats.

What about aluminum boats - do they have a place?

The boats I keep looking at are the Lund Pro-V's, Crestliner Raptors, and Alumacraft Trophy's. Would an aluminum boat benefit the same way a glass boat would? Some of these aluminums can now go as big as 300, even 350 on the back. But I've never seen any with JP's on them.

By far-and-large, the biggest benefit I see to a JP is increased mph, particularly when going 4000 RPM's, the range most commonly I'd drive. To be able to pickup 3-4 mph in speed at the same gas burn would be great.

So my other question - anyone know if Lund-Crestliner or Alumacraft even allow them? Any opinions?

Thanks

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious, but where would you be fishing that a jack plate would be useful or needed that a normal long shaft motor wouldn't work??

The_owl

Established Member
Just curious, but where would you be fishing that a jack plate would be useful or needed that a normal long shaft motor wouldn't work??

Lake Sakakwea.

It wouldn’t be for running in skinny water. The only reason I ask is that they seem to work well on glass boats, so I’m wondering if they provide the same benefit on aluminum boats. To be able to pick up a little speed is always nice, and when your talking about a 20+ foot boat, to have the ability to keep it level and what not is always nice.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks. I was just wondering as jack plates aren't very common up here.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks. I was just wondering as jack plates aren't very common up here.
They are becoming common place. It actually rare to see a newer walleye boat without one. Not sure about tin boats, I can’t honestly say I’ve ever seen one on an aluminum boat.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alumacraft does not recommend adding a jack plate to any of our boats. Raising the engine higher puts an extra strain on the transom, and the jack plate also causes the motor to be at an unsafe angle. Adding a jack plate will void the warranty on the transom of your boat.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG00033.jpg

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Of the boats you mentioned, I can only talk about the trophy. I’m on my second one and if you get a trophy I would suggest saving your money on a jackplate and spend some money on a good stainless steel prop and raise your motor to the second hole from the top. I did that on my first trophy and it made a big difference correcting pouposing (had a hydrofoil on it as well), and added around 4 mph top end and saved on gas consumption since raising the motor took care of the “dragging” of the motor through the water. The trophy’s use a 2XB hull system which essentially doubles the thickness of the aluminum in the hull. It also adds a decent amount of weight to an already heavy boat.

If you are after speed I wouldn’t get a trophy. I have a 185 trophy with maxed out at 175hp and with a stainless prop and a 9.9 kicker and I got around 48mph at WOT before I chewed the prop up a little by hitting a barely sunken island that jumped out in front of me out of no where (okay, I wasn’t paying attention) and now I get around 45mph.

The motor on the trophy I have now has not yet been raised to the second hole from the top and I can feel the motor “dragging” causing slower top end and more gas consumption than necessary. I don’t have a hydrofoil on this one and it doesn’t need it because porposing hasn’t been an issue but that motor is getting raised a hole when I get it winterized. I really like both of the trophys I had/have. They definitely sit really high in the water and boat control on windy days might take some getting used to if you haven’t had a boat that sits that high before.

The trophys IMO are a solid, safe boat and while tourney fishing I’ve taken on some real sketchy days of wind on sakakawea without ever taking a wave over the bow or ever having any concern about swamping it. Also, if you end up getting a trophy I recommend getting the longest shaft possible for your trolling motor, again because it sits so damn high in the water. I know you only asked about jackplates but I figured I’d throw a little other input about the trophy in case you weren’t already aware. I wouldn’t hesitate getting another one.

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Alumacraft does not recommend adding a jack plate to any of our boats. Raising the engine higher puts an extra strain on the transom, and the jack plate also causes the motor to be at an unsafe angle. Adding a jack plate will void the warranty on the transom of your boat.

- - - Updated - - -

sarah-smyth-19.jpg

That’s the kind of shit that would make me remember why I liked shore fishing so much.
The possibility of needing a new motor and the cost of that fiberglass repair would make me grab onto my hat too, just like the guy in that picture. Looks like he may be wondering how serious insurance fraud actually is because he’s about to “accidentally” sink the whole damn thing.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
most transom warranties are void with jack plates... look into trim tabs, tbh I don't know why more guys don't run them on sak

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
most transom warranties are void with jack plates... look into trim tabs, tbh I don't know why more guys don't run them on sak

Trim tabs have been given a poor name by 1 boat manufacturer. Truth be told all boats could benefit from them; but the 1 mfg has had to put them on due to poor performance which, IMHO, has hurt their use on other boat lines.

To the OP. Jackplates will likely not give you 4+ mph improvement. I have had them on 3 or 4 boats and they are awesome. I really like them for idling through skinny water. Easier to maintain good water pressure raising jackplate with less trim than full trim (ie: getting out of Pelican Ramp on DL). I also like to maintain good hole shot and overall performance with any load (5 guys vs 2 in the boat adjustments can be made to compensate).

I do not believe there is an aluminum line that allows their use or the warranty will be voided.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
A jack plate on an aluminum boat would be scary at top end. Glass boats have the weight and the chines to keep it under control.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69