What's everyone wear for waders?

Sluggin_Guts

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need a new pair of waders. I've had neoprene in the past. I don't hate them, but they can be a little bulky and can get warm. I was looking at some of the breathable wader options on Cabelas. Just wondering how they fit and stand up after a couple years. I do wear my waders a few times a year to fix fence into lakes so I don't want something that will tear easily if a barb snags it.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless you get the super heavy duty ones that are coated in cordura, ALL waders tear easily if a barb snags it. I wear stockingfoot breathables and a sturdy wading boot with good ankle support for everything from duck hunting to fly fishing to super late ice tipup fishing. Easy to layer up underneath when it’s cold, or just wear shorts underneath when it’s hot.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless you get the super heavy duty ones that are coated in cordura, ALL waders tear easily if a barb snags it. I wear stockingfoot breathables and a sturdy wading boot with good ankle support for everything from duck hunting to fly fishing to super late ice tipup fishing. Easy to layer up underneath when it’s cold, or just wear shorts underneath when it’s hot.
who are you?

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
who are you?
58A1547C-5559-4BE5-B2A8-3079774070EC.jpeg

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pair of 3.5 mm neoprenes with 600 gram boots, for when it gets colder. For now, my Frog Toggs breathable stocking foots are where it's at. I can fish about 5 to 6 hours in the river, without freezing. Two pairs of socks, etc.

Fly carpin is right though, a good boot makes a lot of difference. I recently bought a low-end pair of Simms felt soles, and they're luxurious.

Any barbed wire is going to poke holes or make tears in any waders though. I got through a pair probably every two seasons, and I've had rubber ones, neoprene (cheapies and expensive ones) and now breathables. They're all delicate..

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have neoprene waders for colder days, and light breathable waders for the rest of the time. I don't break out the neoprene unless it's absolutely necessary, especially since I walk in for most of my hunts.

I've been really interested in those Banded Redzone waders, though. Seem like an awesome combination. They have different insulation levels, too, so you could probably get by with a lighter set and just layer up. Bit tougher than standard breathable waders.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
On my 2nd pair of Cabela's breathables, 1st pair held up for 6 years. Easier to layer up underneath and for me are warmer since they don't hold moisture in.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
5MM neoprenes, with 1600 gram boots are great for fishing in December, but far too hot for early fall or late spring.

Breathable stockingfoot, with good boots, sure is comfortable and pleasant. Feels like wearing a pair of sweatpants.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
garbage bags and duct tape, yea my first waterproof pants for still hunting deer. o the memorys.

breathable cableas 4 most dry-plus like the way they work dont like the sardine feeling of neophene

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like my breathable waders because they feel as nice as wearing normal pants. They work great on warm days and throughout the seasons until the water turns frigid cold.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pair of 3.5 mm neoprenes with 600 gram boots, for when it gets colder. For now, my Frog Toggs breathable stocking foots are where it's at. I can fish about 5 to 6 hours in the river, without freezing. Two pairs of socks, etc.

Fly carpin is right though, a good boot makes a lot of difference. I recently bought a low-end pair of Simms felt soles, and they're luxurious.

Any barbed wire is going to poke holes or make tears in any waders though. I got through a pair probably every two seasons, and I've had rubber ones, neoprene (cheapies and expensive ones) and now breathables. They're all delicate..

Careful fishing in those boots outside of ND, there are quite a few states outlawing the use of felt soled boots. I believe SD is one of them. MT is trying.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77