Sharpening Chain Saw

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am always disappointed when I get back a chain saw chain (blade) from having it sharpened.
They get it sharp however it always seems they take to much off therefore shortening the life of the chain.

Do any of you sharpen the chain yourself??? Have your own machine??? or use a file???

Have seen a few old timers at the Angle use a file. They make it look so easy.

Interested in knowing what most of you do.

THX.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This Stihl 2 in 1 guide/file!!!!!

$_58.JPG

No running off to get one sharpened, keeping sharp spares, yadda.

Hit a nail or "ironwood" or dirt in a log? 20 minutes later you are cutting sharp again.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
sharpen it while still on the saw!

I found through trial and error that turning the saw off first is best.

- - - Updated - - -

the stihl guide has both round and flat - it drops your depth gauges as you file the cutters - so it's therefore the awesomest system

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
the little round files work really well, it does help to have the guide but not required

I worked for an old tree Dr. and he used the little round files. He had a small vice on his boom truck and could sharpen them like no other. I loved running his saws, they were always tuned perfect and SHARP!

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I spent 3 summers in oregon cutting for a lumber company, I was told if you can't free hand with a file you shouldn't own a saw

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
looks like a handy tool but I learned very quick this year cutting up oak and ash for the smoker and pig roast that a sharp saw is a happy saw. After one tiring outing I just made it routine to touch up with the file and keep a file with me

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got this one from Harbor freight a few years ago and it does a good job. I can't hand sharpen a chain to save myself, I can put and edge on them but I can also cut perfect crescent moons shapes from my logs afterwards too lol. I used to take them into town to get sharpened which is ok but the few places left that do them are really busy and it takes so long to get them back.
The one from harbor freight works good for me, it seems to be a bit flimsy but does work. Takes a few minutes to do a chain once I figured out the trick to it. Chains last about as long as professionally sharpened ones so i am happy.
There are tons of videos on youtube for this sharpener which helped me figure out some tricks to make sharpening go easier too.

https://www.harborfreight.com/electric-chain-saw-sharpener-61613.html

image_25904.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The little round file is called a rat tail. You would know if your over 40ish.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cut trees for the local shade tree department for 2 summers in high school. Then i ran my own tree cutting business off and on until i finished law school. Ive cut down a thousand trees or more in my life. The first few years we would take a small motorized file to them. Then we would take them in to get em sharpened for a year or so. Since then, I've done them all by hand with the long hand file while still on the bar. Once you learn your angles, it's easy and super quick. Its actually sort of hard to screw them up.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cut trees for the local shade tree department for 2 summers in high school. Then i ran my own tree cutting business off and on until i finished law school. Ive cut down a thousand trees or more in my life. The first few years we would take a small motorized file to them. Then we would take them in to get em sharpened for a year or so. Since then, I've done them all by hand with the long hand file while still on the bar. Once you learn your angles, it's easy and super quick. Its actually sort of hard to screw them up.

... did you forget the crowd you are replying to :;:howdy

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always used one of these and they work pretty good.stihl.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
lots of round file talk but don't forget the depth gauges

this is why I like the Stihl 2 in 1... it does both while chain remains on the bar

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 101
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63