Custom AR/Sporting Rifle Builder

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not terribly long ago, I finished building my first AR-15. Couldn’t find what I wanted in stores, so I decided to build it up myself. Really enjoyed the process, and was actually a bit disappointed when it was finished because it was so fun to build. What do you all think, would there be enough demand in the area for a custom AR builder?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably not full time no. Anyone that wants one will probably build it themselves. But, you might be able to make a few bucks piecing one together here or there.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I agree with the not full-time, at least in the beginning. Like all craftsman it takes awhile to build a reputation. I have no idea how long it takes to put one together. I'm sure it depends on what a customer wants. That being said, if you take how much you want to make in a year, divide by the estimated profit and you have the number you will need to make to live how you want.

It's not a bad idea at all, I'm sure you would have some customers. I would be interested if the price was right, just not as interested if I would need to spend more on a custom AR as opposed to buying off the shelf.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you planning to buy the parts anyone can buy and assemble them or do you have or have a plan to obtain the machinery that allows you to do things that the average person cannot? If you have the equipment to custom-cut chambers into aftermarket precision barrels, or the knowhow to make non-standard cartridges feed and function then you might have a niche.

If you plan is to buy what anyone can and assemble it for a fee you'd be better off charging folks for assembly lessons and shop time/supplies/tool usage.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Question? If you build the gun yourself how is it registered? Is a certain part have a serial number?

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
The lower (the part that houses the trigger assembly) is what is the "gun" (has the serial number).

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just another thought, don't mean to sound negative but in this day and age liability is always a concern. Anything that you make and sell results in some liability on your part. Have a gun malfunction at the wrong time and the manufacturer has questions to answer. Liability is a detriment to a lot of good ideas.

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d have all the proper paperwork in line and do things by the book, and I’ve thought about the liability standpoint of it too. Couldn’t a guy just have the customer sign a liability waiver? At first I was thinking of just ordering the parts the customer would want, them put it together. Most of this business would start out as assembling rifles for people that weren’t comfortable or ambitious enough to do it on their own. Maybe if it really took off I could get some custom parts and designs made up, I really like custom work on just about anything. This is just something I’ve been pondering for a good while. How do other custom rifle builder get away from the liability side of it all? Liability insurance? Has anyone here ever had a custom rifle built? If so, what was your experience and how did that process play out?

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not trying to rain on the parade but I believe anytime you try to do this the legal way which is assembly and selling of firearms you come into a different category for the feds. The fee becomes very expensive ($2,000 annually) and you need to be more than just an FLL dealer from my experience and conversation with the people out of Bismarck. Just an FYI.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66