Painting a firearm: Duracoat Aerosol

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just wanted to share some observations for anyone else considering $35 for a can of Duracoat "spray paint" for their firearm or accessories. I painted a rifle and handgun this weekend. I planned on doing two rifles but I'm glad now I didn't.

1. To no one's surprise, Duracoat aerosol sprays like a normal can of spray paint. Don't expect airbrush quality. (Doesn't bother me. Serves its purpose.)
2. The can comes with two spray nozzles to chose from: light and heavy. The light spray nozzle plugged up irreversibly within about 20 seconds. It's worthless. You'll have to use the heavy nozzle.
3. Because you're stuck with the heavy nozzle, you're going to lose paint to overspray. Also, you're more likely to get runs in the paint so keep that can moving at all times while spraying. (it really bothers me that all those coyotes are going to die snickering at the runs in my paint job. Mange bastards.)
4. You will need a minimum of 3 coats on whatever you're painting.
5. Duracoat spray paint is activated by releasing a hardener into the can. THE PAINT IS ONLY GOOD FOR A DAY OR SO. Plan on using it all.
6. Because you've spent $35 on a can of spray paint, you'll want to use every drop. Keep in mind your primary objective (rifle, shotgun, pistol, etc) and line up some other smaller stuff (mags, knives, scope, bipod, handgun, etc.)
7. The finish will be VERY shiny for awhile. Duracoat takes 3-4 weeks to cure. Don't paint a rifle Wednesday expecting to hunt with it Saturday. Unless you're okay with a shiny gun in the field.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a buddy that does it as part of a business. Done right and with professional tools it is nice, but spendy. However, it appears there is a reason that is so after reading your experience.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a buddy that does it as part of a business. Done right and with professional tools it is nice, but spendy. However, it appears there is a reason that is so after reading your experience.

just to clarify, I'm glad I went this route and will do it again. Doesn't look "professionally done" but it's not bad. If I were that concerned I would've picked up an airbrush.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
article-2548269-1B0EFD6A00000578-719_634x520.jpgYou're welcome.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chortle guffaw. A swing....And it's out of here!!!! Damn it Man.:D

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
C'mon Man, let's see a gun that you have recently painted with DuraCoat!

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've watched a ton of videos on the airbrush duracoat and it looks pretty easy. Anyone wants to buy the airbrush paint, I'll experiment on your gun for real cheap.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've watched a ton of videos on the airbrush duracoat and it looks pretty easy. Anyone wants to buy the airbrush paint, I'll experiment on your gun for real cheap.

Might take you up on that if this glossy finish doesn't dull as it cures over the next few weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

C'mon Man, let's see a gun that you have recently painted with DuraCoat!

only available for viewing in person :)

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have two stocks that were sprayed with zolatone. One was jungle camo and the other desert camo. Very nice and robust finish on the stock.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmmm I have a very good airbrush I have not used in years. Where is the best place to buy the Duracoat?
They call it... "The Internet." (I'd try Midway? If nothing else, Google it. Don't think it's something you'd find locally. I picked up the aerosol stuff from Midway USA.)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67