Idaho elk V 2.0 pic heavy

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well been back for a few days from another elk hunt out in Idaho. This year went in a lot more prepared but in the end the elk won again. I have a goal to kill an elk in the mcall zone otc in Idaho before i cant do this any more.

The first day we found an area that looks great a little snow and ready to set out it is cold and i packed way to much gear. Trying to be ready for the what if that was a hard lesson learned the next day. Gear wise it performed great the seek out side cimaron with lite out doors stove there is not any weather i would not tackle. Out doors vital sleeping bag zero degree kept us warm in low teen temps. This was the first area.

i2.jpg
french3.jpg
french2.jpg

So we spent a day and a half glassing looking around and no sign at all nothing. Only thing we heard was a moose in rut which was awesome so we decided time to pull pins and head to another area. That is when the torture started i have done some stuff that pushed me to the limits but this was red line. I cant believe i did not tear every bit of sitka clothes i had on . Snagging on blow down falling we were lucky no one was seriously hurt. 800 yards and 4 hours latter we were at the pick up and to top it off had a flat tire. The mountains dont care.

torture.jpg
tortue2.jpg

Got back to cabin rested and up early on to the next spot we saw elk last year and feeling good get back in there about 3 miles with a lot less stuff in my pack. Feeling good and damn it was grazed down bad and four wheeler tracks and lots of human sign but no elk sign after another day of hunting hard time for plan c

If any one does go to the Riggins ID area pinehurst resort and rv is a great place the owners are awsome people. Pat called some friends and outfitters he is friends with trying to help us out and overall it has been a tough year. I could not have asked any more from them as they wanted us to get and elk as bad as we did. Overall every person i have met out hunting there has been great to bs with and even helpfull more than i would expect.

So a few more swings and it came down to the last night and we left Idaho empty handed again but with great scenery and lots of fun i will not call a unsuccessful trip as the adventure was everything and more that i wanted . I can say i was physically and mentally done when we left i gave every thing i had. A last few pics and now time to get ready for next year i am fully addicted.

night.jpg

last shot.jpg

Oh and these guys were by the road saying whats up as we crossed the mt/id border

you loose.jpg

Attachments

bottom.jpg

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great story kurtr, sorry you didn't fill the tag. Like you said, just the shear enjoyment being up in the mountains is something else, sometimes outweighs the fact you didn't fill but the opportunity to be able physical tackle the adventure.

Nice scenery pics!!

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like some nice area, that burn/blow down crap is something else isn't it.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
WOW!! Good on you for being tougher than most. Great pics!

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tougher than most for sure. That's a true hunt right there. Respect to you, sir.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not as much as last year and no howling. Pat told me they hit the wolves hard last winter. Lots of bear sign up to about the 7000 ft mark.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
a bunch of mule deer just no big ones. I was surprised with how hard the winter was.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt have you listened to the last 2 MeatEater podcasts? They had a grizzly attack on their last Elk hunt, unbelievable to hear them recount it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I might today if i have some drive time i have seen the instagram story and wow. They were on afognak island in AK i cant imagine how many bears are on that island. I would be scared all the time griz are a phobia of mine. haha

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big phobia of mine too. There are literal heart pounding moments in the second podcast.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
cimaron.jpg

This is it every thing on our backs. That little titanium stove kept it damn warm in the tipi. the whole thing is right at 6 pounds with stove

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
So with the bottom of the tipi off the ground was there gusts that came in at all? How bout a heavy rain?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
No it was not bad at all we had gear around the edge so that helped. It served two purpose kept condensation at nothing and added a little more useable space. We didn't have any hard rain but I know alot of others set it up like that with no water issue. If it got to bad I could tighten it to the ground with the cord and line locks real fast . Also nice when you hit a rock you can move your stake

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love your line...The mountains don’t care! So true. This will make your monster elk in the future that much sweeter. Thanks for sharing!

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for sharing. Another good hunt, toughest I've been on for sure. I realized when I got home my 'beer gut' was gone. If nothing else, gear was tested to the max. I now truly appreciate the benefits of trekking poles; no doubt they prevented a few broken bones.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77