Using Dogs to Track Wounded Deer

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was watching Uncle Ted last night and She man shot a deer with her bow and used some kind of terrier to find it. Do you think North Dakota should change their law to allow this, just maybe for archery hunting? Sounds like an ethical thing to do. I know a few guys who have arrowed deer and weren't able to locate them afterward.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have never seen a problem with, and do not understand the intent of the law, as they basically waive trespass laws to retrieve deer why not allow flir and dogs to retrieve a wounded animal.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've NEVER used my wirehairs to track a wounded deer! It's ILLEGAL.

What I HAVE done is gotten my dogs, grabbed a shotgun and gone bird hunting with them, and just happened along a blood trail, and subsequently stumbled upon a dead deer. PURE COINCIDENCE.

LOL, did that deer get a tag to go along with you luck?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
LOL, did that deer get a tag to go along with you luck?

I may or may not have tagged it, and I may or may not have actually shot it first. Couldn't find it. Thought, "well dang, I guess I'll go bird hunting." And wouldn't you know it: Not a single sharptailed grouse in those oak bottoms but we did find a deer! Ha! I'd rather be lucky than good any day.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
[h=6]Just saw this on FB after reading this post!

\Utah Conservation Officers Association[/h]
When you and your K-9 finally connect and it works like it’s supposed to. Cody and I tracked this deer, found it fast and I think he was as happy as I was!! The hunter was grateful, said he and his son needed the meat. The buck deer died on private but how cool is that, when you can prove it was a legal harvest. Find the deer and get it to the hunter
1f44d.png
��
1f44d.png
��, a big thanks to the landowner for working with us.

LikeShow more reactions
CommentShare

Chronological

106 106

1 Share
[h=6]Comments[/h]View all 2 comments

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do believe that some of the New England states allow dogs to hunt for wounded deer but they have to be certified.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've NEVER used my wirehairs to track a wounded deer! It's ILLEGAL.

What I HAVE done is gotten my dogs, grabbed a shotgun and gone bird hunting with them, and just happened along a blood trail, and subsequently stumbled upon a dead deer. PURE COINCIDENCE.

And this is why you can't use dogs to recover deer. Someone might say. I was just out walking my dog with a shot gun and I just happened to pull out my pistol and the thing just happened to go off. Oh wait that only happens in Watford city!;:;rofl

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's easy just make the law like recovering game o. Private property. You can do it if you are unarmed.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
To me anything goes on wounded deer, or just follow the coyotes

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe there's already too many people out there that have the mentality of "just get a bullet or an arrow in it then worry about finding it". I think it will encourage more unethical just as people will feel they can just rely on the dog. I know even ethical hunters don't always make perfect shots and it would be nice in those time but I think it would be more detrimental than beneficial.

Buck tracker

Hey all, I was made aware of this thread, and hope I can share some information about tracking wounded game using trained blood tracking dogs. First off, tracking with a leashed dog is Not yet legal in North Dakota, though many of your neighbor states are already benefitting from tracking services. Several states have recently adopted legalized blood tracking, and the amount of game that is recovered by hunters has increased significantly. Other states have been employing the use of blood tracking dogs for decades. Recovery numbers documented by the organization United Blood Trackers show well over 1000 game animals (if my memory is correct) recovered that may have otherwise gone to waste. I suspect these numbers are just a fraction of those actually recovered as there are many trackers who don't belong to that group or don't report numbers.
Contrary to the concerns of some, there is no evidence that hunter's in states where blood tracking is legal take any more chances when taking a shot than in states where it is illegal. Unfortunately, bad things can happen during the shot process, and sometimes excited hunter's just make poor decisions. The question is whether or not that poor shot will result in an untagged animal or not. Every time an animal goes unrecovered and untagged, another animal may be taken, which is an unnecessary drain on the resource.
Additionally, a leashed tracking dog has little potential to be used in any sort of nefarious manner. It is not a poaching tool. Having a dog crashing through the woods on a 30 foot leash certainly gives no advantage to would be poachers. Furthermore, every state that I am aware of (I track in 4 states), maintains the same trespassing laws as any other time. Having a tracking dog doesn't give you any special permission. Many states prohibit carrying weapons during tracking, as well. Other states require a conservation officer to be notified when taking a track. There are many potential "safe guards" that can be placed in a statute to alleviate nearly every fear. However, overwhelmingly, trackers are doing their best to protect a vital natural resource. I would urge those of you in North Dakota to contact your legislators, and try to get a tracking bill passed. It is a wonderful resource to hunters, and protects the natural resources of your state.
For additional info go to Unitedbloodtrackers.org.

Last edited:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe there's already too many people out there that have the mentality of "just get a bullet or an arrow in it then worry about finding it". I think it will encourage more unethical just as people will feel they can just rely on the dog. I know even ethical hunters don't always make perfect shots and it would be nice in those time but I think it would be more detrimental than beneficial.

You make it sound like if this were legal, every deer hunter out there is suddenly going to start attempting 00 yard archery shots or winging lead at running deer...

sort of like they already do...

What was your argument again?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Buck tracker, I tried to send you a PM, but it wouldn't give me that option. Which states do you operate in. I'd like to review their laws and find out how those states are handling this issue. I have been on the fence about this as dogs and deer are an "Oil and Water" kind of thing in my hunting circle, but depending on the information available, I'm open to discussion. Thanks for jumping on NDA and Welcome!! Hope you stick around.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As luck would have it (however determination is a big part of this) I and my son have found every deer we shot with an arrow (about 14 over the last twenty years). A couple were the next day and no meat was left but they were found and tag as we are horn hunters besides the meat for my son. I eat beef.

Two were not found till earlier spring and were tagged when found (only deer shot that season). One again by determination and many, many hours of walking and the other due to a raven's help as the bones were still there. Hard to find in cattails.
It would be nice to find right away and we have learn to do a better job of tracking as time has gone on and a better job of hitting the right spot and least for him (he does practice all the time).

Now use the light in the nock and I feel that does help somewhat. Flashlights that show blood are of no use but taking the time and step by step. He has the patience to do this, I do not. He sees blood when I only see grass or twigs. Coyotes, birds and ravens can be a big help.
He has trained his dog to find sheds and the dog does find more than we do.

But for now I need to work on the shot. Maybe when dogs are legal and for the most part I would think this is good. Hell, a couple of neighbors used horses to hunt with. I have deer go only twenty yards and die but my first one went about 500 yards in brush. Rotary cup tear and maybe a cross bow would help me out on this. db

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I personally would not want the chance of my lab suddenly thinking chasing deer is ok when now she is trained to not, granted I have tried using her for shed hunting.
That being said. If it were legal even with a few restrictions such as contacting warden or accompanied by warden, unarmed, and must be on a form of a leash or control I would be inclined to do it. In my thought my dog is not on a leash very much and she would know the difference and once she can get started she would surely be beneficial. If she is used once or maybe twice a year I don't think she would make a habit out of it. I have been lucky for many years to always recover my deer, BUT things can happen. If a deer jumps a string resulting in a pour shot with very bad blood trail there are only two outcomes if not found, the deer might heal and survive or it found a way to give you the slip and ends up being coyote food for all you know. After a wounded unrecovered deer I doubt the hunter will just cut up their tag, most will continue to hunt which can result in an additional animal harvested at a minimum, maybe they wound more. If dog tracking can reduce the loses by 50% I say it would be a good thing.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I personally would not want the chance of my lab suddenly thinking chasing deer is ok when now she is trained to not, granted I have tried using her for shed hunting.
That being said. If it were legal even with a few restrictions such as contacting warden or accompanied by warden, unarmed, and must be on a form of a leash or control I would be inclined to do it. In my thought my dog is not on a leash very much and she would know the difference and once she can get started she would surely be beneficial. If she is used once or maybe twice a year I don't think she would make a habit out of it. I have been lucky for many years to always recover my deer, BUT things can happen. If a deer jumps a string resulting in a pour shot with very bad blood trail there are only two outcomes if not found, the deer might heal and survive or it found a way to give you the slip and ends up being coyote food for all you know. After a wounded unrecovered deer I doubt the hunter will just cut up their tag, most will continue to hunt which can result in an additional animal harvested at a minimum, maybe they wound more. If dog tracking can reduce the loses by 50% I say it would be a good thing.

Are they actually tracking the deer or the scent of blood? Hopefully Buck Tracker sticks around and provides more info. but I've hear that dogs are fairly easy to train and pigs blood or various other animals blood can be used in training??

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 92
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 60