BRAVING the MN Deer woods this weekend!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to join the accursed ranks of THE NONRESIDENT HUNTERS for the MN Deer opener this coming weekend. In my arsenal of safety gear I've got my helmet, flak vest, armored underwear, some converse high tops, and a fur lined jockstrap. Hope it's enough to keep me safe. I'm torn on if I should wear orange as I think it might ATTRACT gunfire, but I'm not sure. The jury is still out on that one. Anyone else venturing forth into the battlefields of the MN deer woods this year??

Actually, it's quite relaxing where we hunt and it's always a pleasure to hunt with my 76 ish year old uncle and giggle at all the coughs, sneezes, grunts, and other noises I hear him make while he's on stand and then wonders why he doesn't see many deer. (Grin) It's a HOOT!!! We eat like kings, laugh our asses off, and tell each other lies for the entire weekend. My Dad and Brother are also going along, so it should be a good time. If anyone else is going, Be Safe and Good Luck!!!

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be making the trip over and hunting for 4 days. Always a great time going back to hunt with my dad.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Did that once when I went to tech-school in TRF. Totally different ball game then what I was used to back in ND. Had a good hunting partner so it was a blast. Stay safe to everyone going.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't forget the tick repellent. You can also wear blaze pink instead of blaze orange.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
What reprobait said. I got bit by a deer tick on the 21st. I’m still taking antibiotics for Lymes disease.
6309C970-D090-4DEC-9543-3E152FF6B283.jpg

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was gonna type up something about his pink vest and fur lined jock, but decided I would try to be nice.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in Northern MN Ruffed Grouse Hunting a couple of weeks ago. I got four deer tick bites and I have a dog on Doxycyclene for a possible tick disease.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wait...what?!?!? Why?

I mean, I know you've traveled the world in service of our country, but there comes a time when a person is just putting himself in the line of fire once too often.

My suggestion, stay out of trees. About half of the guys that get shot over there are sitting in trees.

And be very stealthy in ALL movements. The MN sound shot is a real thing. I was purely amazed when a friend and I compared notes about our most recent hunting season. I was hunting in western ND, he in the woods of Minnetucky. I shot once, maybe twice...I don't remember, and got a decent buck, he fired around 6 or 7 "sound" shots.

At first I thought sound as in

From Merriam-Webster
"3 a :free from error, fallacy, or misapprehension
  • sound advice

• sound reasoning
b :exhibiting or based on thorough knowledge and experience
  • sound scholarship

c :legally valid
  • a sound title

d :logically valid and having true premises
  • a sound estimate

e :agreeing with accepted views :orthodox
  • sound doctrine"

I was wrong. :(

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
You hear a sound, you shoot in that general direction. Cut out the date and tag your sound.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A few things you should remember before deer hunting in Minn. 1 Make sure your family members know you are worth more alive than dead. 2 Make sure your gang or mob social standards are of highest quality. 3 Make sure wife doesn't have a new boyfriend. 4 Stay out of trees. 5 Kevlar is your friend. 6 Make known that you will shoot back and that your marksmanship is second to none. 7 Sleep with back to wall. These are just for starters, anyone else care to share?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
You hear a sound, you shoot in that general direction. Cut out the date and tag your sound.

I grew up in Minnesota and hunted MN for deer until I knew better. But in all that time, I never heard of people shooting at sounds. Sure those aren't 'Sconi interlopers??

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
WTF is a "Sound Shot" please?

Yep, as Ghost has noted. You stroll through the woods and when you hear a noise, you open up in the general direction of the "sound". Then you go look to see if you drew blood.

It is the most effed up thing I've ever heard of for a generally accepted hunting practice.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure that you don't pass up any good sound shots. <jk>

Never forget when I was in college (40 years ago) and one of my friends from MN came home from a weekend hunt and I asked him if he got anything. He said nope, but "I got a couple of sound shots.". I asked him what a sound shot was and when he told me I was dumbfounded. I said no way anybody would hunt like that and he said you had to or you would never get a deer. Unbelievable! He was bow hunting and he told me he saw the bushes shake and was drawing to shoot when the bushes shot first! Arrow missed him by a couple of feet and it was all OK cause nobody got hurt. Real story!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 57