Sub MOA for $199??

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sub MOA for $199?? NOW $197.83

Just in case you’ve been living under a rock... in a cave... on mars... for 5 to 7 years... we’re experiencing a true renaissance of small arms development, production, and utilization. Incredibly, for several years now this renaissance has been increasingly driven by the CIVILIAN CONSUMER market. The strides have become so significant, the greatest military power in human history (that’d be the US Military if you’re keeping track:;:rockit) now frequently resorts to soliciting small arms procurement based on civilian “off the shelf” compatibility and availability (I’m happy to cite sources if you question the validity of this claim). But I digress...

We’ve finally reached that point where even the “cheap crap” has adopted enough of the good ideas to be able to mass produce the things that work. I’ve been hesitant to drop $$$ on a custom rifle because I was confident that eventually the big producers would pick up on this stuff and standardize it, much like they have already with things like interchangeable shotgun chokes, drop-in triggers, picatiny rails, adjustable stocks, etc. The first major ripple in the mass-production long-range pond was the Ruger Precision Rifle.

The RPR gave you everything you ever needed out of a bolt rifle to make it a “1,000 yard” rifle right out of the box, but at $1,200. Given how simple this was, we’ve now seen a parade of major manufacturers follow suit with similarly themed rifles: Tikka, Savage, Mossberg, Remington, Howa...

So what happens to the bottom rung? Well, a rising tide lifts all ships. The Ruger American Rifle was the first rifle to offer sub-MOA accuracy in a “cheap as s***” platform for around $399. That seat is now being challenged - aggressively - by Thompson Center (Smith & Wesson) via the Compass series of rifles.

Enough jabbering, here’s a link to the Compass for $274.99 shipped. There’s currently a $75 rebate. I think I’m going to roll the dice on a .223 just for giggles:

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/category.cfm/brand/thompson-center

Basically, the stock sucks but it’s still a sub-MOA rifle. Threaded barrel, 3# trigger, 5R rifling... Ultimate Reloader blog did a “poor guy” build with one and was seeing <1/2 MOA with handloads and an $80 scope.

- - - Updated - - -

Link to UR blog tinkering journal: http://ultimatereloader.com/2016/11/18/tc-compass-hands-on-from-unboxing-to-600-yards/

Update 10/31/17: Kentucky Gun Co. has the T/C Compass rifles for $272.83 and free shipping.

http://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=111628

EDIT AGAIN!! Savage Axis with Scope, $149 after rebate!!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sava...with-Bushnell-reg-x-Scope-Package/2362566.uts

11/3/17 UPDATE: Picked is the TC Compass .223 from my FFL today. He said this is the 3rd one he’s had come through this week:cool:

Definitely a cheap rifle but much better than expected. Here are a few interesting points:

- The .223 magazine looks like there will be room for larger bullets. It’s 1/9 twist so I wouldn’t go nuts. One of the complaints about the Ruger American Rifle is that the magazine won’t accept anything larger than 62gr ball. Here’s a pic of the TC with Federal 50gr Varmint loads:
35ACF629-91E3-4144-B5CC-271C7231CFA3.jpg

- The metal finish is pretty nice considering the price. The trigger parts are pretty darn crude, but his would be a very easy trigger to make very light.
4E11C10A-1EEB-4E0B-98D1-A0A3E659450C.jpg

- The recoil lug is interesting to me. Instead of the lug being part of the receiver, they milled a channel in the receiver and glued the metal lug into the stock. This means you’re basically married to the stock unless someone comes out with an aftermarket stock that includes a recoil lug. I can see how they could save a lot of money here, milling from a smaller piece of bar stock, wearing out fewer bits, less machine time.
96F30869-DE99-4549-9056-B433B6FB0E99.jpg

- The stock is stiffer than I expected, but I still kind of want to fill it in with bondo or something to take the flex out of it. The barrel is free floated.

- Nice crown on the barrel. 1/2x28 threads on the .223. I’ll be adding a 5/8x24 adapter so I can screw muh muffler on it. Barrel profile is nice for .223 as I prefer a barrel that’s too heavy over a barrel that’s too thin.
712CACF8-F879-443B-AA4A-D50F66AFCC5C.jpg

- Comes with weaver mounts, which is nice. Make sure you remove them, clean them up with alcohol/acetone and reinstall them.
- Because it’s a 3-lug bolt instead of an2-lug, the bolt throw is only about 60 degrees. This should make it much easier to reload and allow for lower scope rings.
E6C6922E-51F3-4214-A80F-1C11BE6E90AE.jpg

We have a problem with the threaded barrel: I noticed that where the barrel is threaded, the shoulder has a rounded taper and is not square. This means that if the muzzle brake or silencer you’re attaching doesn’t have a taper, it might not screw down flush and won’t sit perfectly straight. A less-than-perfectly-straight silencer means baffle strikes. That’s a great way to ruin your barrel, rifle, and personal safety.
9CD4F62B-D18A-4450-9FAE-D5AB210A0EE3.jpg

Here’s a pic with a thin brake shim/washer. See how the shim can’t contact the shoulder? that’s a problem.
580A387D-6957-4060-9005-1A504E14E943.jpg

Last edited:

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy at work bought one last week as well. New stock n your set! I have a venture with the SS and weather shield, got it for 375.Thing shoots holes in holes in 300 mag as does my buddies 6.5.

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, where can I buy a different stock from?

I don’t know if there are replacement stocks available yet. Boyd’s makes stocks for all the other TC models so I’m sure they’ll come out with one soon. You can get a decent Boyd’s starting at $129.

I ordered one in .223. I’m hoping the magazine is long enough to accommodate heavier bullets. One of the problems with the Ruger American Rifle is that the .223 mags won’t accommodate anything larger than 62gr and from what I’ve read they can’t be modified to fit. With the Compass, the same magazine is used for both the .223 and .204 so we’ll see.

For $199, I wonder if I’m going to break this thing...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
3 shot groups are dumb. 5 are a little better and 10 is where the truth starts.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh great, another internet expert. Please, tell us how it REALLY is. ;:;blahblah

;:;rofl

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh great, another internet expert. Please, tell us how it REALLY is. ;:;blahblah

;:;rofl
I may do a ten shot group once in a rifles life, but see no reason for more than five, and I am satisfied with three. Once I have confidence in a rifle I don't need a group. To check sight in with a rifle I have confidence in I only fire one shot. The ammo companies I'm sure would recommend 20 shots. The barrel companies too. Unless your suspecting poor stock contact more than three shots at the same target is boring.
I group often to check reloading performance, but seldom to check a rifle. I do go through a couple thousand, rounds a year. Mostly experimenting

Last edited:

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may do a ten shot group once in a rifles life, but see no reason for more than five, and I am satisfied with three. Once I have confidence in a rifle I don't need a group. To check sight in with a rifle I have confidence in I only fire one shot. The ammo companies I'm sure would recommend 20 shots. The barrel companies too. Unless your suspecting poor stock contact more than three shots at the same target is boring.
I group often to check reloading performance, but seldom to check a rifle. I do go through a couple thousand, rounds a year. Mostly experimenting

Could not agree more, one shot cold barrel for me for my hunting rifles.
IMG_20171030_073756.jpg

Last edited:

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn you Bed Wetter. Damn you. You guys got 62 days to get me reviews on these. Might need to arbitrarily add a .243 and a .308 to my arsenal.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn you Bed Wetter. Damn you. You guys got 62 days to get me reviews on these. Might need to arbitrarily add a .243 and a .308 to my arsenal.

They’re already out of stock in a few calibers. You’d better not wait too long or you’ll be stuck with some shameful caliber like 6.5 CM, or worse, .270 Win.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
money talks bullshit walks it will be around the same in 2018. Bring the stock 199 dollar what ever they are. I will bet a mallard on my custom and my shooting partners.

Capture dakota duel.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I dont shoot at 100 other than zero but every one is my gun is moa it shoots a 3 shot group at 100. ONCE ...... One time does not make it a tack driver do it every time. Unless you are shooting off a bench in the field that is also a waste of time. There is a reason that they are not 3 shot groups in bench rest it is called consistency. Off a bench and a lead sled my kids cheap savage shoots moa at 100 every now and then. Heat the bbl put some torque on the junk stock and see what happens.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member

I would say this depends on the intended use. As a pure hunting rifle, unless you're shooting prairie dogs, you rarely shoot more than 3 times at any one thing. If you can consistently shoot small three-shot groups from different positions, and especially if the cold bore shot groups well with the others, then it's good to go.

I don't think Bed Wetter is trying to claim that these things could replace a custom precision rifle, at least not when considering the vastly different intended use of each.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say this depends on the intended use. As a pure hunting rifle, unless you're shooting prairie dogs, you rarely shoot more than 3 times at any one thing. If you can consistently shoot small three-shot groups from different positions, and especially if the cold bore shot groups well with the others, then it's good to go.

I don't think Bed Wetter is trying to claim that these things could replace a custom precision rifle, at least not when considering the vastly different intended use of each.

that is the key

- - - Updated - - -

one time of a lead sled is not consistent

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
not a fan of the safety on these TC's but I almost bought one at Dick's in Bismarck but they only had 308 and 30-06 and I wasn't feeling that so I bought a savage model 10 they had a 20% off coupon that worked on the model 10 plus a 100 mail in rebate 300 bucks for a model 10 with accustock, accutrigger, and a threaded heavy barrel came with a 3-9x40 bushnell banner that will be getting replaced.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been looking at a Thompson center ventute predator in 22-250, after rebate it was around $375 I think. But after shooting a buddies semi custom build, I told myself that I was going to buy less guns but buy custom/semi custom or higher end guns. But the cheap skate in me is saying for 75% of the price you can get a gun that will kill animals and do just fine in most instances. I need a raise I think.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
not a fan of the safety on these TC's but I almost bought one at Dick's in Bismarck but they only had 308 and 30-06 and I wasn't feeling that so I bought a savage model 10 they had a 20% off coupon that worked on the model 10 plus a 100 mail in rebate 300 bucks for a model 10 with accustock, accutrigger, and a threaded heavy barrel came with a 3-9x40 bushnell banner that will be getting replaced.

give me that bushnell.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been looking at a Thompson center ventute predator in 22-250, after rebate it was around $375 I think. But after shooting a buddies semi custom build, I told myself that I was going to buy less guns but buy custom/semi custom or higher end guns. But the cheap skate in me is saying for 75% of the price you can get a gun that kill animals. I need a raise I think.

Pretty much where I’m at. I’m willing to drop a good chunk of change on a gun that gives me what I’m looking for in a firearm. In this case, I was looking for a relatively accurate .223 bolt rifle that I can suppress but will also be cheap as shit and (hopefully) work with heavier bullets. This seems to fit the bill. My .308 bolt gun on the other hand... I could buy 5x Compasses that might be able to kill a deer just as dead, but I have different expectations/purpose for that rifle.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought my TC for a bush gun up in Canada getting banged all over hell on the quad rides in and out from the stands. Of course custom builds are way better, never said that. Longest shot I get is about 75 yards at most up there. But If something was standing 400-700 around here it'd be in trouble too with this cheap gun.

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sweeney,

What didn't you like about the safety?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109