Binoculars

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
This is typically an annual thread but I haven't seen it come up yet.

Current set of optics is a 18 year old set of Leupold Cascade 10x42. No complaints for almost everything I use them for. Only item they lack is the clarity to really dial in a set of antlers in the distance when sitting in the blind.

Are the Vortex Viper HD worth the money? Looking at the 12x50.

Any input is appreciated as I'm having a tough time even considering the $560 price tag and looking through them in the store just doesn't quite give me the most confidence given the lighting and lack of distance a person can look.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walleyeman I noticed the guy on Meat Hunter always uses a tripod. Bob's photo in Bismarck is selling out and has a couple good binoc to tripod or window mount adapter. My hiking stick is threaded and although not as stable as the tripod sure helps. A little off subject, but thought it might be helpful.

deactivated

★★ Legendary Member
I shopped the Vortex Viper HD 12x50 and the Leupold BX-4 Pro Guides 12x50 and went with the Leupold. The Pro Guide lineup is advertised as being built around the leupold twilight max light management system. I would say they work as advertised. I have no regrets.

Oley55

Established Member
I have the Vortex Talon HDs and I've been very happy with em. Not sure of leuopolds warranty service but the vortex warranty is exceptional! They'll repair/replace anything even operator damage. Only exception is loss or theft. I've lost or broke the flip covers 3x in two years and they keep sending new ones no questions asked.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a pair of vortex viper 15x. They're OK.

As in life- with glass you get what you pay for. I'd recommend looking thru a few different sets at the store. Request to take them outside with a salesman. Bonus if you can do it at twilight. If your going to spend north of $600 on a set I hope they'd grant that request.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
For $600-$700 you should be able to find a set of non-HD Cabelas Euro 12x50 in a bargain cave. I'd start calling the individual stores tomorrow if I were you. Pretty sure there was a set in Billings Cabelas fairly recently.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're near a Scheels check out their Paragon HD ED binoculars. Bought a pair of 10.5x45 a few years ago. Looked at them all and the only thing they had that was better were Leica's and Swaro's.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just bought new razor hd 10x42 for a friend, I found them online for $800. Petty much just like my Swarovski SLC when you compare the two. Heck we actually thought they were a bit crisper. Almost seems like these new SLC glass isn't as good as the older ones. Keep your eye on eBay, you can run across some crazy deals sometimes. Bought a pair of 7x42 sls swaros for $364 shipped and the things looked like new.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buy a set of Barska for 49.95 that way you will not feel so bad when they slide off your hood at 60 MPH.;:;banghead

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a pair of the Scheels 10-42 binoculars that were on sale for around $100 last winter. They've done well for me, but I also am just a goose hunting guy and not a big game hunter. So, perfect clarity wasn't all that important to me.
Hows the sand box in the middle of the afternoon?

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Viper HD's in 15X. Love the clarity but wish I would have done with a bit less magnification.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
For $600-$700 you should be able to find a set of non-HD Cabelas Euro 12x50 in a bargain cave. I'd start calling the individual stores tomorrow if I were you. Pretty sure there was a set in Billings Cabelas fairly recently.

This is a good idea, I haven't ever thought of or even knew you could call the induvidual bargain caves. And the cabelas euro line of glass is very good for the money.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I havnt done this but when looking at binos the Scheels sales(expert hahaha) guy reminded me that they have a no questions asked return policy. So I could take a one out one day try them and then anouther the next untill i decided which i liked best.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just bought new razor hd 10x42 for a friend, I found them online for $800. Petty much just like my Swarovski SLC when you compare the two. Heck we actually thought they were a bit crisper. Almost seems like these new SLC glass isn't as good as the older ones. Keep your eye on eBay, you can run across some crazy deals sometimes. Bought a pair of 7x42 sls swaros for $364 shipped and the things looked like new.
Can I be your friend too?

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have the Viper HDs in 10x50. They work well, but don't have much to compare too other than an older pair of Nikon Monarchs. The Vipers have been very tough and have survived 4+ years of hunting and drops and walks through thick brush. No scratches on the glass at all. Pretty sure Vortex will replace them in just about any situation if needed.

Founding Member
Founding Member
ha ha , not like it sounded. He paid me back, just doesn't have a computer.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess i dont see any similarity between the razor and the 10x42 SLC HD. Razors are nice though. I also have the 15x slc HD and the vortex are not nearly as good to my eye. But again the razors are nice.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well we all are swaro guys in my group, spotters and binos couple Zeiss as well so we have been around good glass for the last 20+years.
Over that time the Chinese have perfected their craft leaps and bounds and the Germans have sort of sat on their hands on most things as far as glass quality. For half the price of German glass and just as good of warranty the vortex razor HD line is a no brainer really. Especially if you can buy them right.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 136
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77