Issues with tsx

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had some hand loaded tsx 168gns in inventory. I didn't have a whole lot of time this fall to make up anything else. Anyway broad side shot aimed at the 💓 I was off 2 inches but hit vitals deer went down end of story. I gutted didn't see anything unusual. Wife found hole on both side of chest the hole on exit was that big never thought anything of it.

Pull hide off last night and see shrapnel wounds all over hell most disturbing was up one toward the hind quarter not that it blew it up but it made the meat bloody. Wife is pissed

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had some hand loaded tsx 168gns in inventory. I didn't have a whole lot of time this fall to make up anything else. Anyway broad side shot aimed at the ï’“ I was off 2 inches but hit vitals deer went down end of story. I gutted didn't see anything unusual. Wife found hole on both side of chest the hole on exit was that big never thought anything of it.

Pull hide off last night and see shrapnel wounds all over hell most disturbing was up one toward the hind quarter not that it blew it up but it made the meat bloody. Wife is pissed

So from your description, you had the bullet pass straight through the deer from side to side? Or did it go from front to back quartering? Did you shoot more than once? Did the bullet break up leaving little pieces of copper in the meat (shrapnel) or is the meat just blood shot? What distance did you shoot the deer at?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Straight through side to side he was broadside. 300win my belief is a petals broke off and traveled sideways if that is possible. One shot and no the deer had not been shot before 250yds.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Strange. I’ve had petals sheer off @ close range but only when hitting large bones. Was the buggered up rear Qt. On the near or far side? You’re theory about losing a petal is probably correct.

Also, where’s the pic of your deer? Not the bloodshot quarter, just the hero shot ya tease!

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_20171112_103329230.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_20171112_103601821.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like maybe caught just the edge of the rib bone on the way in, could’ve peeled off a petal.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Must of hit something just right. TSX pretty much stay together as well as anything. I've never recovered a TSX or TTSX that didn't look to be fully intact. Just a guess obviously but must have grabbed just the right amount of bone with just the edge of the bullet.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Loosing petals seems to be more common on the smaller caliber bullets. Ive recovered an 85 grain from my 243 missing some pieces and seen pictures where it can happen. Better to have some bloodshot with 0 chance of lead than lead all over tho IMO.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77