Monster Whitetail Taken in North Dakota

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wow, didn't think they grew them that big here.

http://bismarcktribune.com/lifestyl...43840e7a3b.html#tracking-source=home-latest-1

[h=1]Monster white-tailed deer, called a ‘legend,’ taken in northern North Dakota[/h]
  • Kim Fundingsland Minot Daily News
  • 5a0bad76e5622.image.jpg

Kyle Hass of Bowbells in far northern North Dakota harvested this monster of a non-typical white-tailed deer during the season opener last Friday.
Forum News Service, PROVIDED

BOWBELLS -- It was the buck of a lifetime. No doubt about that.
Kyle Hass of Bowbells harvested a monster of a non-typical white-tailed deer during the season opener last Friday. His dad was there too, and his best friend. The quality company made an exciting hunt even more memorable.

As for the deer, about as non-typical as you can get, Hass said, "It was kind of a freak of nature to even have that thing around."

Non-typical white-tailed deer, those that have antlers that differ from the traditional matching sets on the left and right sides, are not completely unusual. There's a few taken every year in North Dakota. What makes the Hass buck stand out is its large size and the fact that very few people, if any, had previously seen the deer in the area only about 12 miles south of the Canadian border and 52 miles northwest of Minot.

"He was kind of a legend," said Hass. "Everybody talked about him but no one saw him on the hoof, just the sheds."

Hass had seen photographs of shed antlers from the past two years that matched the antlers on his deer. Last year a matching pair of sheds was found west of Kenmare, about 6 or 8 miles south of Bowbells. It was further proof that the unique deer was still in the area.

Ironically, Hass was targeting mule deer while bowhunting in the Bowbells area when he got his first look at the big non-typical.

"It was early last Thursday. I was putzing around and saw this deer. It was foggy but I could see a rack maybe 200 yards away. He was huge!" said Hass.

Hass watched the big deer bed down in a cattail slough and returned later that afternoon to attempt a stalk. A doe spooked about 30 yards from him. Then the buck jumped up but offered no shot for the bowhunter.

"He was about 50 yards out and took off over the hill. I never thought I'd see him again," remarked Hass.

But he would. The very next day. The opening day of the North Dakota deer gun season.

"We knew he stayed in the area. My dad saw him right at dark Thursday coming out of a coulee," said Hass.

The scouting paid off in a big way. When the deer season opened at noon Friday Hass found himself carefully walking sloughs in the area where the deer had last been seen. When working through a slough about a half-mile from that location the deer emerged from cover and Hass managed a perfect shot.

The buck has 30 points on its antlers. Early estimates of a score are in the 225 range. Of course, no official Boone and Crockett score can be made on the deer until a 60-day drying period expires but it is all but assured of a lofty place in the North Dakota record book, very probable in the top-5 non-typical white-tailed deer in state history.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Rumor has it the deer escaped from a deer farm a few years ago and it’s not a native whitetail. Hope he laid with lots of does.

I hope the fence was down a few days before the owners discovered their loss. Maybe some of his offspring are out running around as well.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rumor has it the deer escaped from a deer farm a few years ago and it’s not a native whitetail. Hope he laid with lots of does.

They must have removed his ear tag before the picture then huh?

And this is exactly why if I shot a deer of this caliber I wouldn't text email or post a single picture of it to anyone. It only takes one dickhead to start a rumor and try to devalue the buck or the hunter.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That buck is a stud. If i shot that i would not care what the haters said. Would not be able to wipe the smile off my face. Congrats to the guy. I dont care if it drank the same juice as the teenage mutant ninja turtles its still a stud.

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They must have removed his ear tag before the picture then huh?

And this is exactly why if I shot a deer of this caliber I wouldn't text email or post a single picture of it to anyone. It only takes one dickhead to start a rumor and try to devalue the buck or the hunter.

Yeah, the pussy had to use a gun.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Kentucky:
You know it has a twin so that should move some hunters no matter what tag they have or may not have.

Fnznfwl:
When I was young and started hunting in the 50 and 60 people would come and see the doe you shot let alone if it was a buck as the horns were not a big deal back then and they were small. It was a big deal just to get a deer.
Then todays came and I am a part of that to. I seldom shoot a deer now, I provide for them, let them grow in hopes of a big rack that comes by seldom but a lot more often now. Very few hunters back in the 50 and 60 and also very few deer.

But as one looks as to the joy of hunting back then and now, I am not sure when it was the most enjoyable. But then we only remember the good, horns were not important at one time and for many they still are not, ect.
But I agree once you post, bring to a show or just show off one needs to understand the risk, headaches and good times that come with that. The way it is. db

yet would of meant more with a bow but I too offer my congrad to them, wish them the best, wish it was me, maybe one day.

Last edited:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Often people assume that a lot of people knew this buck was around. I'm betting not many have ever seen this buck until the hunter took him. Often hear of people shooting big deer and very few knew of the buck. If they knew, it was often because sheds were found, not an actual siting of the deer. For some reason big deer are often rarely seen, even on cameras.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
DB, i agree back in the day when we had a 2 1/2 day season and you could drive every inch, we still didn't see any deer. If one saw a deer you would see 3-10 pickups after it. Some on the roads and some in the field chasing it. I never thought those doing it was giving the animal a sporting chance. But even if you didn't get one, just seeing one was something to talk about at the supper table that night.
As far as the bucks rack back then we called them willow racks. Not very big, no mass, and 4 point was the biggest you would see.
Then came sunflower fields and we got deer and pheasants in our area and when CRP came man it just exploded with wildlife. Wish we could somehow afford to have lots of CRP.
I quit hunting other than if i draw a ND elk or moose tag. I still can shoot coyotes, skunks, & raccoons. Comes with old age i guess. I couldn't understand the old timers back in the day that said they were old and didn't want to kill anything anymore. Now that i am old and have a 90 year old body hunting isn't important and i enjoy watching and taking pictures of wildlife now way more than shooting.

When my son got his huge deer 5-10 years ago you would be surprised on how many stories there were about him taking it illegally. Even the wife of the farmer would explain to people that she saw him shoot it and had given him permission to hunt on their land but they wouldn't change their stories. Jealousy is all i can say. The wife was so very happy that my son got the buck that she wanted a picture so we got one and gave her an 8x10 and she had it in her house and showed everyone. She has since passed away from cancer and we think of her every time we look at that buck mount.
Enjoy your hunts people as they end way too soon. It isn't about the kill but the time spent with family and friends! I have met and hunted with many good people in all my years. Wish i could have hunted 1 time with each of you!
Good luck to all of you in your hunts.:;:thumbsup

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look at the dinks in the background that this guy has taken in previous years

Hass deer.jpg

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know Kyle and his dad, and if it's fishing, bow or rifle hunting these guy's do their homework

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats to the hunter. That's a buck of a lifetime! The facial hair is confusing, though.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
kyle is my cousin. his dad is my uncle. dad put the gun down many years ago. first three years he bow hunted he took pope and young white tails. I can tell with certainty nobody spends more time spotting/scouting than dad. the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. These two have put down some insane deer. Kyle found the sheds of this deer and a couple other people he knew had seen him. He was pretty stealthy it sounds. But his dick got the best of him lol. just an edit. I saw two non-typicals in that area fifteen years ago side by side in the road ditch. One was pretty similar in size and structure as his but the drop tine was down further. The other was a little smaller than him. But pretty amazing to be ten yards from them two.

Last edited:

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have done some research on this deer, made some calls and got some reports from some people I consider very reputable and it is the real deal. I don't know the hunter, just of him but it is truly the buck of a lifetime.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75