• Yes

Votes: 117 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 10.0%

• Total voters

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've read different threads on here and became curious about how many process their own meat vs. how many take it somewhere to be processed. Personally, I enjoy doing it myself and it is one of my favorite parts of hunting.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've gone back and forth on this over the years. I like my product better than pretty much everywhere I've ever tried, but I don't enjoy the processing as much as I should.

So I literally bounce back and forth, one year I do my own...the next I may pay someone else.

- - - Updated - - -

Note: The best part of making your own sausage is the taste testing. Mix it up, fry a representative sample, if not what you want...modify the mix and try again.

Grizzly Adams

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do all of my own. Most of the time though we just grind it for burger for hot dishes. Sometimes we make sausage though. The part I hate is trimming. I like it but my hands start cramping up almost right away.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I process my own deer. I usually buy premixed seasonings. Ones I like are Borns Honey and Garlic and Bushdees. Someone posted a taney summer sausage recipe on the other website that I love. I also make pepper sticks out of Borns breakfast maple. That is absolutely crack!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question for some of you guys. Is beef trim just beef fat? I want to make some burger and I got about 30 pounds of beef fat.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
We started doing our own a few years ago. It really saves a lot of money once you have the equipment. But yeah, trimming can get old. We usually stick to back straps, tendies, roasts, and the rest is burger.

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't, we usually only have 1 or 2 deer a year and just never justified the cost/space the equipment. We mainly have sausage and sticks made.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do my own. At least that way u know exactly what ur getting in ur meat. I'm sure most butcher shops do t care whats left after the trimmings are done since they're not the ones eating it!

Turtle

Let me suggest always do your own. Since working at a certain butcher shop in the mandan area and see what they do to your deer. You would always do your own. It can be a lot of fun with family and friends and you know what you get.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have always done my own. I don't enjoy eating somebody else's gut shot half rotten deer with meat full of hair.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am trying to figure out what they could do to my bags of meat that would be worse than ground up meat. I mean these aren't McDonald's workers we are talking about .

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am trying to figure out what they could do to my bags of meat that would be worse than ground up meat. I mean these aren't McDonald's workers we are talking about .

The problem is they make in sausage in batches at almost every locker plant in the state. So your bags of meat go in with everyone else's. You will just get your poundage back.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've always cut up my own. For one I can't believe what they charge.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d like to think that you are guy. I brought in some elk a few years ago to a place in Bismarck. December, well past deer season. I forgot the carcass tag and they wouldn’t even let me leave it there until I went to get it. Said they had been checked by the warden three times in the previous week. Box was labeled with my name and when I got it back, it still had my carcass tag. Maybe it’s all for show but I thogut it was legit. Didn’t get it back until March.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of processing, where do you guys get your burger bags and is there a trick to it?

- - - Updated - - -

Yah. Maybe you’re right. With game laws as they are though, I’m not sure why they’d cut corners. Maybe trading isn’t considered selling.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I trim my own at home and freeze my sausage meat in large vac. bags and then take to butcher shop first part of March. Pretty sure I get my own stuff back. Never had anything bad yet and these guys make beef sausage all the time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75